What's new
USCHO Fan Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

  • The USCHO Fan Forum has migrated to a new plaform, xenForo. Most of the function of the forum should work in familiar ways. Please note that you can switch between light and dark modes by clicking on the gear icon in the upper right of the main menu bar. We are hoping that this new platform will prove to be faster and more reliable. Please feel free to explore its features.

Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

Currently sitting in an A&W roadside fast food spot outside Granby, Quebec, on my way to the World Cycling Championships in Montreal.

They gave me a frosted glass mug for my A&W root beer, which kinda amazed me.
Back in May, I went to an A&W in Burlington, Ontario. Same deal. Frosted glass mug.

We were in Montreal over the Labor Day weekend. My wife would have liked to have gone for the World Cycling Championships, but it just wouldn't fit in our respective schedules.
 
Yeah, I think A&W always does that as A Thing. I love that place. "Allen & Wright," if you ever wondered. Founded in 1919.

Very strongly connected with the US military. There's one in the Pentagon and another at Gitmo.
 
Last edited:
During our trip home to Minnesota (Dec 11 - Jan 4) we are looking at spending 2 nights in Chicago. Considering the travel any suggestions on Amtrack vs flying, and what are suggested activities for spending 2 days in the windy city in winter? Going with the wife and 2 adult boys.
 
During our trip home to Minnesota (Dec 11 - Jan 4) we are looking at spending 2 nights in Chicago. Considering the travel any suggestions on Amtrack vs flying, and what are suggested activities for spending 2 days in the windy city in winter? Going with the wife and 2 adult boys.
What kind of entertainment options are you seeking (in general)? And I assume you are staying somewhere in the Downtown area of Chicago proper?

As for Amtrak vs Flying... You probably are looking at a 4-5 hour total time commitment for travel via flight vs 9-10 hours via rail... I'd fly each time, even with the weather risk. Minneapolis is a 7 hour drive for reference.
 
Yeah, I think A&W always does that as A Thing. I love that place. "Allen & Wright," if you ever wondered. Founded in 1919.

Very strongly connected with the US military. There's one in the Pentagon and another at Gitmo.
I prefer “Amburgers & Woot Beer”

There’s one at the end of my FIL’s block in Toronto. Many walks to either there or Shoppers (one street over) when I need an escape from the thermostat set to 80°F.
 
Yeah, I think A&W always does that as A Thing. I love that place. "Allen & Wright," if you ever wondered. Founded in 1919.

Very strongly connected with the US military. There's one in the Pentagon and another at Gitmo.
Every year, on the last day of school, my mom and I had a tradition of going to lunch. We rotated between the A&W drive-in and the Hudson's (later Macy's) in-store cafe.

The drive-in is still going strong, but the Macy's that had the cafe is cooked along with its mall.
 
Back in May, I went to an A&W in Burlington, Ontario. Same deal. Frosted glass mug.

We were in Montreal over the Labor Day weekend. My wife would have liked to have gone for the World Cycling Championships, but it just wouldn't fit in our respective schedules.
I made this decision last year when I heard they'd be held in Montreal this year. Put my time off request in last spring, booked my hotel in late spring/early summer.

And since every year, there's a pro race in Quebec and Montreal, and I always wanted to go, two weeks ago I made the trip up, first Quebec on Friday, Montreal on Sunday. Quebec just because of where it's held, around the Plains of Abraham, the Citadel overlooking, with a tough climb right up through the old city, passing by the gorgeous Frontenac Hotel. My hotel was like one block away from the start line on the Plains of Abraham.

And Montreal as pretty much a scouting mission. How to get around, best viewing spots, etc. I had a rough idea from watching the race on TV, but how to best get to these spots required some homework and in person exploration. I damn well wasn't gonna be driving in the city.

So I've pretty much figured out my game plan for the elite men's and women's races on Sat and Sun. Over to the start in Brossard, then hop the train back to the Metro system, hopefully snag the spot I scouted on the Chemin de Polytechnique climb for a few laps, then back on the Metro and up to the final climb on the Avenue Pagnuelo for the rest of the race. They're keeping the unwashed masses so far away from the finish line that you won't be able to see who wins anyway.

Tomorrow I plan to hang around the start area, visit the fan village, and then hike up through the woods trails to see the first climb on the Camillien-Houde, in the center of the Mont Royal park.
 
Here's a map of the course, if anyone's interested. There's a preliminary section out from Brossard through the countryside, but the real action will take place on the 13(I think) laps of this course.

1790295099695.png
 
What kind of entertainment options are you seeking (in general)? And I assume you are staying somewhere in the Downtown area of Chicago proper?

As for Amtrak vs Flying... You probably are looking at a 4-5 hour total time commitment for travel via flight vs 9-10 hours via rail... I'd fly each time, even with the weather risk. Minneapolis is a 7 hour drive for reference.
We will def stay somewhere downtown or downtown adjacent at furthest.

Thinking museums, shopping, dining, theater at the top of our list.

The main reason I considered rail was the sight-seeing aspect, but the other 3 are pushing to go by air.
 
Just finished a 119km section of the Camino de Santiago. I’ll have a big download later, but if you are thinking about a long multi day walk or hike, one HUGE suggestion- join REI.

Yes, they are more expensive, but you have a year to try shoes out and still return them. And seeing that the #1 injury by a wide margin are blisters, get the correct shoes for you. Which will be like running shoes- at least a half size bigger than normal. Of the two of us, I had the only blister but it was because I kicked a chair at night so my little toe was swollen. Not the shoes fault. But others suffered so much by not having the right shoes.
 
I'll second REI for outdoor adventuring. Yes, their prices are high and not all of the gear they sell delivers bang for said buck. But for things like boots or other equipment that needs to be properly evaluated out in the field, their generous return policy for members on most items is invaluable. And when I joined, the one-time fee was like $20.

We just used them this past summer to get good, breathable rain jackets for our Alaska trip. I think we spent $80-100 each on the jackets, which honestly isn't that bad for high-quality rain gear. Probably would've paid the same or more at Bass Pro or Cabela's.
 
Back
Top