Thanks for starting the new thread, HR! Looking forward to another year of hockey starting next week.Time to focus on what's ahead for our Wildcats. Big year on so many levels. Big opener with QU coming up!
Sooo whats the proposed line up for the opener? Dan...Watcher...any ideas? And as usual the delay with naming the Captains...as I type its prob been announced but what/why does it seem to take so long for this announcement. I mean we all know it's most likely Marty. Anyhoo... bring it on!
My best guess...
Svartstrom - Ring - Guité
Newcombe - MacDonald - Johnson
Oliver - Gagnon - Lavins
Zebeski - VanTassell - Turner
Romeo
(Siedem, Hyles)
Thanks Dan!! Will be at the game suspect it will be a real litmus test early on...My best guess...
Svartstrom - Ring - Guité
Newcombe - MacDonald - Johnson
Oliver - Gagnon - Lavins
Zebeski - VanTassell - Turner
Romeo
(Siedem, Hyles)
Svartstrom & Ring seem like a natural pairing; the team's best goal-scorer and the team's best playmaking forward. Newcombe/MacDonald and Oliver/Gagnon are pairings that played together quite a bit down the stretch in 2025-26. The bottom four all skate well and play with pace and could be a fan favorite line however they shake out. Turner is probably in the line-up every night as an alternate captain, though I'd prefer Romeo in a regular shift for upside.
The top-three RWs are harder to predict. Lavins is a more natural fit on a match-up line that adds depth scoring (IMO), Johnson is a transfer who showed productivity on a moribund offensive team in Anchorage, and Guité is an unproven frosh. The order above is how I'd like to see them deployed early in the season. If I had to predict Souza's thought process, however, I would flip Guité and Lavins.
Historically, UNH has seen second-year forwards make major jumps in productivity. That hasn't been as prevalent under Souza as it was under Umile, but there are several breakout candidates in UNH's top-nine. Can UNH build a legitimate, upper half of Hockey East top-six/power-play? That's my key to the season. This group has the potential to score, but whether they actually will remains to be seen...?
Fitzgerald - Carr
Vass - VonRichter
Philbrick - DeHaro
(Plandowski, Kennedy)
The top-five seem like line-up locks. Fitzgerald and Carr played together a ton last season. Vass and VonRichter compliment each other and bring pedigree. Philbrick has clearly earned his place as regular (and could slot higher), while each of the remaining three could make a case to skate on a nightly basis. I think all eight defensemen will play a fair amount this season. Its a deep group.
Simpson
(Kendrick, Carney)
I expect an early opportunity for both of the transfer goalies - if not an outright rotation - but I'll lean Simpson as the opening night starter and de facto number one.
Staying healthy for Marty is paramount. But MS7s love affair for him, being a senior, and captain I can see him starting on the first line to begin the season.I would be (pleasantly) surprised if Siedem isn't in the line up most nights. He played 29 of 35 games last year (with 3 assists on the year) and 25 of 27 as a So. Being fair, looking at last years stats there really wasn't anybody pushing (DeTurris 20gm 0G-1A, Cronin 7gm 0G-1A, Walsh 11 gm 0G-0A). Hopefully some of the new faces can push the bottom end of the line up for ice time.
As for Turner he was in 34 of 35 games last year (3g-1a), 26 of 27 as a So. so even before he picked up an A it was a fair assumption he was getting in basically every game.
I LOVE Lavins game, has everything you would want but the point production. I have a hard time seeing him as a 1st line forward, he is a .5 pts/gm player. It would be fantastic if he took a Sr year jump in points. So I too see him on a match up line, it will be interesting to see who is scoring and where Lavins slots.
Second thing I wonder about.... Svartstrom's speed vs style of play. I just haven't seen him enough to have any clue. Does he create space for a player like Ring, who can then feed him or is the style a "clash" he doesn't keep up, etc. Does hit fit better style wise on a line with 2 other bigger bodies (Newcombe and MacDonald) or is that combo just not enough play making and spends its time crushing people on the wall not putting the puck in the net.
Yup ... this is one and the same guy, with a pretty impressive gift to both of his alma maters (his time at Lowell preceded their UMass affiliation).![]()
Massachusetts Athletics Announces John F. Kennedy MS '76 Gift for Head Hockey Coach Endowment - University of Massachusetts Athletics
AMHERST, Mass. – The University of Massachusetts athletics department is proud to announce a gift by John F. Kennedy MS '76 to endow the head hockey coach po...umassathletics.com
![]()
Landmark Gift Establishes Endowed John F. Kennedy Head Hockey Coach Position - UMass Lowell Athletics
LOWELL, Mass. – UMass Lowell Athletics is proud to announce a transformative philanthropic commitment of $2.5 million from John F. Kennedy '70, '16 (H) to es...goriverhawks.com
Meanwhile, UMass and UMass Lowell just endowed their head coaching jobs. Kudos to the alum that made the gift. It's interesting that the donation is used to endow the head coaching jobs. I'd have guessed it would go to NIL but perhaps the donor insisted. In any event, great news for those programs.
Was fun seeing them win there season before last after they got killed the night before! Will report from the gameWith the season starting on Friday, It is great to get back to making predictions for the weekends game(s)! It’s just one this weekend, and certainly a toughie out of the gate playing at QU.
QU has certainly had a decent stretch of success the past ~10-15 years. Nonetheless, I’ve always felt UNH plays them tough, and I recall at least one upset over the last few years. UNH also has a history of coming out hot to start the season (insert obligatory “Champions of October/November” reference). Recent season openers against BU and MSU in the last few years come to mind.
With all this said, I think UNH catches QU off guard a bit, and are able to squeak out an upset on the road to start the year. If this was a 2 game weekend, I think QU would make the necessary adjustments and likely win the second game by a margin of 2-3 goals.
QU:2 UNH:3 (OT)
Perhaps I’m overly optimistic to start the year. But to be honest, that’s the beauty of the start of the season - everyone is 0-0.
Souza needs a strong start to build momentum prior to the HE schedule. Starting with 7 of their first 9 games on the road isn’t going to be easy, but perhaps we can build a “road warriors” mentality before the home games become more regular.
If anything, I’m just happy hockey is back. Looking forward to chatting with everyone again this fall/winter! Let’s go!
If it were on Saturday we would be going. It will be good to get perspective from inside the rink while watching on ESPN+- thanks for the inside view in advanceWas fun seeing them win there season before last after they got killed the night before! Will report from the game
Any other UNH fans going let me know!!!
Of course I dont have the eyes you all have but I will do my bestIf it were on Saturday we would be going. It will be good to get perspective from inside the rink while watching on ESPN+- thanks for the inside view in advance![]()