Well, Mark, I've returned. After a week of USCHO debating whether or not my credentials aligned, the new and improved allnightwong monicker is back. I think it's been like 14 years. Many posters may not have even seen my namesake, Wonger, play.
Anywho, that was a fun weekend. Two Hockey East guests, 16 goals for. Without diving too much into the two games, you guys have done a nice job with that, I'll give my observations. Merrimack at least looked like a competent hockey program. Man... UNH... sheesh.
I'm really bullish on this year's squad. The lone question mark is clearly in net and I'm not sure this weekend provided many answers. But, at the very least, it didn't seem to matter, at least for two nights. This offense, depth, and experience looks lethal. To be able to return your top 6 leading scorers (really 9 of your top 10) from a darn good team a year ago and pair that with some really fun additions has this team on track to do some really impressive stuff this year.
The new guys seemed to fit. Stockfish is such a seasoned dude. Competent in all phases, adds size, experience and stability. Kostov dealt out a 3 point weekend in his debut despite missing some minutes Saturday after getting banged up, I think. Dylan Edwards' undersized ceiling is Sam Anas (lofty, I know, but I really enjoyed watching this kid). I thought Alcos and Golicic looked ahead of schedule and even Strathmann, the NoDak reclamation project, looked the part.
I leaned over to Mark a few times and expressed how cool it was that there wasn't a dud on the ice. There wasn't a 4th line, checking line, logging minutes incapable of providing production. There wasn't a guy making me want to pull my hair out. So deep. And this is without Matt McGroarty on the ice (who I thought had a great second half last year simply pissing people off) and scratching guys the likes of Frasca and Schultz, definite no brainers on most other league schools to be on the linechart.
Long season indeed, but off to the best possible start. Maine has not been a program the Q has had cakewalks with in the past and Orono was a rough trip two years ago, so I'm expecting a battle this weekend. But even with that said, absolutely can't wait to watch.
On a similar but unrelated note the Twitter/X braintrust has already jumped into the "Well, Quinnipiac has 25 year olds, so it doesn't count" retort. Well, according to CHN, QU is the 17th youngest team in the nation. In fact only Marcellus and McGroarty have reach the ripe old age of 24. So, shut up.
Glad to be back and have really enjoyed following for all these years since I shut down the blog (The new QUHockeyBlog is outstanding, btw) and stopped posting here. Keep up the good work!
Go Q!