Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2018-19

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
    Thanks. I totally understand on 'different temperaments.' The world would be mighty boring if everyone was like me. At age 59, I know my strengths and weaknesses. You will never hear me call for people's heads on a platter on here. I won't get into the details of coaching, nor recruiting. I won't even give good play-by-play analysis, as is seen on different ECAC threads on here (at which I marvel). However, I will nearly-always be there, giving starting-goalie, shots on goal and scores after each period, and my general take on each game. I tend to have rose-colored glasses; I don't have high highs nor low lows. I know we aren't going to score on every shift, nor win every game. But I do expect a good solid effort on every shift, which is why you will hear me yell 'good job' or 'good effort' at each game, home and away, when so deserved. I am also not one to follow individual players as much as I follow all 60 teams in NCAA D-I men's ice hockey. On any given night, I can't tell you how many shots on net Bobby McMann had, but I can tell you where BC is in the Hockey East standings that night (or any other team). And, lately, I am really getting into tracking the coaches and assistant coaches in their careers within college hockey. But, oddly enough, I don't follow players' careers when they leave college hockey (just recently had to look up Colton Point's record in Boise). As for giving me 'decent men's ice hockey,' it's all good. I started going annually to the Frozen Four in 1991... AFTER Colgate made it to the national championship game at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit against Wisconsin in '90. That was a wake-up call for me... I had two brothers that went to Colgate in the Sixties, I loved Colgate hockey when I worked at GE in Utica in the early Eighties, so why wasn't I following them to the title game each and every year?
    Well stated and thought out...hands down IBT, you are the BEST fan. Without your prospective and views on college hockey, there would not be enough fans. Well done young man!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
      Me too! He is a true fan and without a doubt the best fan in the ECAC. I was hoping he would come to Hamden this year.
      It was supposed to happen during the Friday playoff game for me, and didn't. Perhaps this year...

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
        If you see me, please make sure to stop me and say 'hi.' I'm the fat balding geek in the Colgate jersey, walking with a cane. he he he
        Don't sell yourself short, Iowa. Balding geek in the Gate Jersey for sure, but I'd prefer "sturdily built!"

It's been a pleasure to read your contributions to our thread & follow your college hockey travels, as well as to get to know you a little bit. See you next weekend at the '65 Arena!

Comment

Iowa, will hijack this for a minute. A few of us making the pilgrimage to Knoxville this year. Friend of mine, his family races 270's here in Central PA. Cant wait, hoping to hit some tracks up on the way out and back. Met Brian Brown at the Grove this year and became an instant fan. As for this weekend glad you can make the trip. We will be sitting up next to the band in section 14. Hopefully we can meet. I'll be in the red Block letter RPI hat.

Comment

Caps Won, section 17, row G, seat 1, for me tonight.
            Do look me up. After game, Erin Crocker advised that The Ruck is the place for wings. Not a huge BB fan, but we can get into that later. he he he

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am driving back to Knoxville, Iowa, for the NSCHoF induction weekend. Then I will be driving back to the Midwest later in June for the UMP Summer Nationals... 27 nights of racing in 32 days. Can’t wait.
            Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 02-01-2019, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Okay, enough dirt-track racing talk... back to hockey...
              Mitch Benson again led the team on the ice for tonight’s game at RPI.

Comment

BTW IBT, you're welcome to join us in the score thread: https://board.uscho.com/showthread.p...ruary-1st-2019

Comment

Colgate 7, RPI 6, SOG after one.
                  RPI 2, Colgate 1, score after one.
                  Very entertaining game.
                  PPG for ‘Gate, even-strength goal for RPI, then with 22 seconds left in McMann’s 5-minute penalty... PPG for RPI.

Comment

a real crap call on McMann for a 5-minute major and game misconduct...why not? Hayhurst is gone for the same thing for RPI (from last weekend)...have you ever seen a more passive PK...NEVER did they even ATTEMPT to use a turnover to threaten a SH goal...and all the teams know this...do we have the talent to get more aggressive on the PK? Since we rank last in the nation in PK% you'd think some changes might be in order...

Comment

RPI 21, Colgate 18, SOG after two.
                      RPI 2, Colgate 1, score after two.
                      Sadly, they are two evenly matched teams tonight.

Comment

RPI 31, Colgate 29, SOG final.
                        RPI 3, Colgate 1, score final.
                        Both goalies played well.

Comment

two of the most talent-challenged teams in the league...again, third RPI goal (and second PP goal) was a result of backing up, giving RPI time (lots of time) and space (lots of space) for what was a great shot...RPI forecheck good; our pathetic 1-2-2 is probably a function of the lack of skating ability...we're probably the slowest (certainly one of the three slowest) teams in the league...record after 3 3/4 seasons now 44-79-16...I'm really amazed we recruited some of these kids...no disrespect to them; they play their hearts out...and we all know the story is not going to meaningfully improve over the rest of the year...and frankly, looking out two years I'd be hard pressed to predict anything but more of the same...the time is long past due to house clean, top to bottom...sad to say...

Comment

let's beat a few more dead horses...second and third line production for the year...the numbers here are not perfect, but they're close to being an very accurate representation of our 2nd and 3rd line production #s this year: 159 games, 8 goals, 13 assists, 21 points...so, roughly speaking the average production from one of our 2nd/3rd line guys after 25 games is...1.3 goals, 2.1 assists, 3.4 points...is it any wonder we're averaging less than 1.5 goals/game...

Comment

On the major and DQ to McMann, the RPI player turned his back, and yes it was a minor, but no way was it a major penalty. One of the softest majors I have ever seen, just brutal. Taking away our only offensive threat doomed us !

RPI's tv production is incredible, as good a picture as ESPN.
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                                On the major and DQ to McMann, the RPI player turned his back, and yes it was a minor, but no way was it a major penalty. One of the softest majors I have ever seen, just brutal. Taking away our only offensive threat doomed us !

RPI's tv production is incredible, as good a picture as ESPN.
                                Wasn't a DQ; he can play tonight unless he's had two other misconducts this season. And the rule book is very clear that if it's CFB into the boards, it's 5 and game, whereas Bowman's CFB was in open ice. Plus, he was towards the bench for a good second, not like he turned to draw the 5, unlike some players I've seen when the rule was first implemented.

Comment

Working...
                                X