Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Alan Willey made The Cosmos their b***h.
    Having fun imagining what Messi or Ronaldo would do to those defenses....

Same is true for all sports, of course - you just can't compare across eras.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

Messi would’ve been destroyed in the first 10 minutes.

Ronaldo would’ve been laughed off in 5.

1970s era soccer was... a bit rough (really was until the late 90’s).
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I still remember when Wide World Of Sports covered Pelé's last match ever with the Cosmos. 1977 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

For sure. In the 70's when I first started playing soccer (the father of my best friend was from Manchester and they got me to join in 3rd grade since you couldn't play football until 4th grade. I later switched in 9th grade) soccer had very little exposure in the U.S. Yeah we had the NASL which did a decent job of promoting, and I even had a huge poster of the full Kicks roster in my bedroom. But internationally it was mostly limited to EPL highlights on our local PBS station Sunday mornings. I still recall the large white 'R' that appeared on screen. Beyond that though you didn't have much of a reference point to otherwise make you realize the NASL was quite a few rungs below the rest of the world even at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            About his only good quality.
            He was good on that XM soccer show, too, although Stillitano was so terrible it was still unlistenable.

Chinaglia always struck me as "what if Phil Esposito wasn't an imbecile."
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Messi would’ve been destroyed in the first 10 minutes.
              I get the feeling that if Messi played in the 70s he'd have been more Suarez.

Ronaldo, though, yeah -- they'd break him like a twig. A very pretty twig.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                He was good on that XM soccer show, too, although Stillitano was so terrible it was still unlistenable.

Chinaglia always struck me as "what if Phil Esposito wasn't an imbecile."
                A selfish a— hole. That’s the answer to everything Chignalia.
                I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

A selfish a— hole. That’s the answer to everything Chignalia.
                  Like I said, "what if Phil Esposito wasn't an imbecile."

Giorgio was put on this Earth to score goals and f-ck beautiful women, both in stacks and stacks, and often more than a couple in a night. He was not interested in us, our mores, or our world. It is possible to evaluate someone who simply does what he does at peak ability without wanting to ever be in the same room with him.

Of all the athletes on the Earth to be butthurt about, Chinaglia doesn't even make my top 10,000.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 04-07-2020, 02:19 PM.
                  Cornell University

Comment

I get the feeling that if Messi played in the 70s he'd have been more Suarez.

Ronaldo, though, yeah -- they'd break him like a twig. A very pretty twig.
                    Ronaldo would’ve been the prettiest, bloody mess ever.

I don’t see it with Messi though, he’s never really had that toughness IMO.

OTOH, Clint Dempsey would’ve set unbeatable scoring records, both goals and bones broken.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Ronaldo would’ve been the prettiest, bloody mess ever.

I don’t see it with Messi though, he’s never really had that toughness IMO.

OTOH, Clint Dempsey would’ve set unbeatable scoring records, both goals and bones broken.
                      Dempsey would've never gotten the chance as an American.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Like I said, "what if Phil Esposito wasn't an imbecile."

Giorgio was put on this Earth to score goals and f-ck beautiful women, both in stacks and stacks, and often more than a couple in a night. He was not interested in us, our mores, or our world. It is possible to evaluate someone who simply does what he does at peak ability without wanting to ever be in the same room with him.

Of all the athletes on the Earth to be butthurt about, Chinaglia does't even make my top 10,000.
                        Watch the Once In A Lifetime doc on the Cosmos and you’ll understand my Chignalia hate.

Also, it’s a bit of a generational thing. I know most hardcore soccer folks my age do not have any fond memories of the NASL and tend to see things about it in a more negative light.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Dempsey would've never gotten the chance as an American.
                          Not true, plenty of guys got chances. It’s how we ended up with plenty coaches around the youth/amateur ranks. Heck, Shep Messing has basically made his entire life on being “Pele’s goalie”.

Fun fact, the Americans in the NASL used USMNT locker rooms to set up hard tackles against their foreign NASL teammates in future games.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              It's SI. No one reads them now anyways.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                It's SI. No one reads them now anyways.
                                He’s still one of the best soccer writers in the country, and now he’s out of work.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X