X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marmot View Post
    Let’s see:

*No goals.
    *Multiple goals conceded to the opponent power play.
    *Benson solid in a fruitless effort.

Welcome to Colgate hockey.

Have we broken the school record for must shutouts against? Pathetic.

I think there is no way anyone cannot see the need for change.
    8th time we’ve been shut out this year. It was sad to watch the team not being able to execute the simplest of passes. And we have next to no team speed.
    Don pulled Benson after the 2nd period for Farrier. Maybe it was merciful for Mitch.

I looked for you tonight Iowa but I didn’t see anyone with a Colgate jersey in the crowd. What section were you in?

Comment

• Re: Colgate 2018-19

Magoo... Section 3, Row 1 (walkway immediately behind cushioned seats).

Disappointment... Mitch never scored a goal tonight in two periods of play (since I truly believe we are now asking him to do everything for the team).

Not sure the final SOG, but the last time I looked it was something like 42-21 in favor of the team that won 6-0.

Comment

Interesting that our 2 senior forwards (Dauda, Racine) weren’t in the lineup last night. And we dressed 7 defensemen and 11 forwards.

Still not sure why Benson got pulled after the 2nd period. He was our best player up till then.

Comment

Since I enjoy giving out roses to counter-blance my disappointments...

I like the oft-used strategy of having our captain watch the game from the opposite side of the rink from the players’ bench, giving him a unique view of the ice (if only for two minutes at a time). I am sure that he can see/hear things from over there that he can’t from the crowded and noisy players’ bench. Now sometimes we give up a goal when he moves over there, but overall it must be worth it, or we wouldn’t keep having him lead the team from over there.

Comment

Fun with stats:

*We have been outscored 82-36.

*Our opponents score on more than 30% of their power plays.

*We score on 5% of our shots . . . which means somehow we have turned every goalie we face into ‘17-‘18 Colton Point.

*So as not to be completely negative, here’s one for Green Coat. Amazingly, this team has beaten a top 5 and a top 12 team on the road, something even our good teams have been unable to do. That’s just weird.

This season . . .

Comment

Like Coach Foto, Vaughan will never be fired. Either they will offer him an "administrative role" or he will need to do the conscionable thing and resign.

Union came to the ECAC table late as a good D-III school. It took the Dutchmen a while to adjust, but their program has never looked back. Our sub-par records and lack of postseason tournament wins or titles is a new low for the program...unless another record shutout by an opponent and the stats Marmot listed - the worst penalty killing team in the nation and have the second worst scoring offense - qualifies as the bottom of the barrel. Or the new normal.

We are in Upstate NY, where hockey skates reign supreme October through April...or so one would think.
              C O L G A T E
              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
              1990 NCAA FINALS
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
              ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
              ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I started this thread in 1999, USCHO was in it's infant stages and we had about three or four posters here. Over the years we've had our NCAA tournament teams and our not so good teams, but it seemed there was always something positive to talk about. You may have noticed I'm not posting here much because I just feel like I have nothing positive to add. I genuinely hope this changes in the next few years but it's becoming very challenging to see much change in the near future. I'm at a loss for words.
                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

To say what you've said in your post about a program we all love and a school we cherish as a supreme institution is not a bad thing, shabby. It is more comforting to say things in an open forum among "friends" who share these feelings. Not one of us wishes bad will toward anyone associated with Colgate, from administrators to professors to students to coaches to players. That is also not to say that the coaches and players do not work darn hard. We bleed maroon, plain and simple, and so do they. We are rallying and uniting around a program that is spiraling out of control and is searching for answers. They will come in time but these years will not be forgotten. It's one thing to abandon ship in a down year; loyalty should be unconditional. But when a problem keeps recurring it becomes systemic and affects us all. It also makes us question that loyalty. Regrettably, time is no longer enough to change the discourse of our hockey program and tougher choices should be made. Colgate is not the only ECAC team - or D-I team, for that matter - with these choices to make.

Let's Go 'Gate.
                  C O L G A T E
                  2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                  1990 NCAA FINALS
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                  ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                  ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I wonder how much confidence Don has in his staff as far as recruiting goes. Point was a great get but there have been a lot of misses lately.

We’re graduating 5 guys this year so I guess we’re only bringing in 5 for next year? If that’s the case I see why you’re not too optimistic for next year Shabby.

But if we’re looking for positives we can look at goaltending. Benson can play.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                      being let go or fired is a fact of life for almost all of us...it's not funny and it's not fun
                      Amen, GreenCoat. It happened to me in November 2017, two months after the company I was working for moved into a new facility and with Christmas approaching. Don's a nice guy but we've fallen off a cliff after two great seasons from 2013-15. I'm still friends with the former team equipment manger from 2008-12, who believes Vaughan would have been canned at the end of 2010-11 if not for our playoff run that season.

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                      You may have noticed I'm not posting here much because I just feel like I have nothing positive to add. I genuinely hope this changes in the next few years but it's becoming very challenging to see much change in the near future. I'm at a loss for words.
                      Me too shabby. I've only been to ONE game this season - back on Oct. 13, our 2nd game of the season, a 2-1 win over UNH. I toyed with the idea of driving out to Schenectady last night but changed my mind at the last minute, and I'm kinda glad I did. This season I missed the away game at Harvard for the first time since graduating from Colgate in 2009. I'm still contemplating whether or not to make the trip to Brown in 2 weeks.
                      Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                        Amen, GreenCoat. It happened to me in November 2017, two months after the company I was working for moved into a new facility and with Christmas approaching. Don's a nice guy but we've fallen off a cliff after two great seasons from 2013-15. I'm still friends with the former team equipment manger from 2008-12, who believes Vaughan would have been canned at the end of 2010-11 if not for our playoff run that season.

Me too shabby. I've only been to ONE game this season - back on Oct. 13, our 2nd game of the season, a 2-1 win over UNH. I toyed with the idea of driving out to Schenectady last night but changed my mind at the last minute, and I'm kinda glad I did. This season I missed the away game at Harvard for the first time since graduating from Colgate in 2009. I'm still contemplating whether or not to make the trip to Brown in 2 weeks.
                        If you go and they win, I wonder who'll be pitching in for you on the rest of the season.

The biggest question for the administration to answer, in my mind: Do they support the hockey program, or the leadership thereof? Sometimes you can get the greatest guy in the world to be the head coach, terrific "face of the University", really involved with the community, great on outreach, get good recruits to come in, but be terrible behind the bench with game management, and it only takes a couple down recruit years to expose that. If the admins have fallen in love with the coach rather than the program, they could be looking past that and be a source of trouble. How tough is the administration on his contract? When does it expire, or worse, was he "tenured" like a professor? I don't see any info quickly looking online.

First question to ask: What is the vision you want on the ice to be competitive, and is the coach satisfying that?

Comment

good point from you boys on the two (away) wins over top 15 teams...it's why we're something 46th in the Pairwise instead of the high 50s...and we've moved our winning percentage against top 20 teams over the past c. 5 years to around 15 per cent...I've gone from concern, to disappointment, to depression, to anger...failure in the short-term is there (almost 4 years)...failure in the long-run (almost 13 years) is there...and as much as WE ALL KNOW this team is speed/skill challenged, last night's game was "la creme de la creme"...I turned it off after two periods...and a belated thanks to Shabby for starting this thread almost 20 years ago...finally, from what I can gather we DO have the overall support of the administration (unlike RPI/SLU)...DV is a quality guy but so was Tim Taylor at Yale...we have kids on this team who are not DI hockey players, one line that can score, and a veteran team that is, at least technically, in no way "rebuilding." We all probably know some things about the program that are disturbing but not really necessary for posting...suffice it to say: Moore and Casey have a tough job facing them, but that's what they signed up for...(as a side note, what ever happened to Jack Hoey out of Choate? He was supposed to be entering next year and it looks like he's not playing hockey this year...and #2 are we still a full scholarship shy of 18?)...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                            (as a side note, what ever happened to Jack Hoey out of Choate? He was supposed to be entering next year and it looks like he's not playing hockey this year...and #2 are we still a full scholarship shy of 18?)...
                            Glanced at the Heisenberg list the other day. It's a little incorrect as a couple players are missing. More on that in a second. Regarding the young man mentioned above, he was supposed to be with Alex Evin in Prince George of the BCHL this year. From what I read in their local paper, he aggravated an injury in training camp and is out for the year.

There are two kids not on the Heisenberg list. One is a D man in the USHL and the other is the French Canadian power forward with Brooks. I can't get into complete specifics since nothing has been announced but the incoming group will be a little larger than what is leaving.

To go back to a post earlier, tl:dr most of the thread but Racine is out with an injury (shown on the line charts). He hasn't played since the middle of January.

Comment

two other good sites for incoming recruits: "Neutral Zone" (paid subscription) and "College Hockey, Inc." (a freebie)...Arnaud Vachon is the young man from the Brooks Bandits, good-sized, having a decent year...Both the RPI and Union broadcast teams were good, I'd say even in 'Gate Radio's class, as professional, objective, informative announcers...it's good for the league...I'm also glad that 'Gate Radio was spared the ESPN+ announcing duties on Saturday night...it wasn't much fun watching; I can imagine what it would be like to announce the game on tv...maybe this game was "rock bottom"...I fervently hope so...

Comment

Does everyone already get these or see these?
                                Or should I keep posting them here?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                                Friday, Feb. 1, 2019
                                jjorgensen@colgate.edu

Raiders Drop 3-1 Decision on the Road
                                Despite Cosgrove’s Quick Start, Colgate Falls 3-1 to Rensselaer in ECAC Play

TROY, N.Y. – Despite Trevor Cosgrove notching an early goal, the Colgate men’s hockey program dropped a 3-1 decision at Rensselaer on Friday night.

Colgate came out strong from the drop of the puck and fully capitalized on its first power play just minutes into the game. Less than a minute into the man advantage Cosgrove got the Raiders on the board with a power play goal from the blue line, but Colgate’s short-lived lead came to an end when Rensselaer evened the scoreboard just 1:53 later.

In a period speckled with penalties, Colgate faced a 5:00 penalty kill midway though the opening stanza that changed the course of the game. In what was otherwise a strong penalty kill, RPI scored off the faceoff with just 22 seconds remaining on the man advantage for a 2-1 lead.

The second period had a much faster offensive presence and although Colgate was ringing iron and landed 11 shots on goal, the first period scoring would stand through the second as RPI held its narrow lead heading into the final period of play.

The ECAC conference foes played into a choppy third period through penalties and shattered glass. Colgate’s offense was doing work in the RPI zone, but when the Raiders had to shift gears for another penalty kill, it proved detrimental. The Engineers increased their lead to 3-1 by striking the top shelf with the man advantage for the final goal of the night.

COLGATE SCORING PLAY
                                • Period 1 | 05:54 – While on its first power play of the night, Colgate entered the Engineer zone and peppered several shots early on. The Rensselaer defense blocked the first attempts before Cosgrove swung along the boards and across the blue line with the puck. A quick turn and shot through traffic found its way through the netminder’s five-hole to get Colgate on the board.

STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
                                • Defenseman Trevor Cosgrove notched his fifth goal of the season, and first since against UMass Lowell (Jan. 12). Heating up in the second half, three of Cosgrove’s five goals have come within the last month.
                                • With the first assist on Cosgrove’s tally, junior Bobby McMann now holds 12 points in the last 13 games. While extending to a three-game point streak, McMann joined the century club tonight by playing in his 100th career game.
                                • In earning his ninth assist on the season, sophomore Nick Austin now holds three assists in his last five games played.
                                • Freshman goaltender Mitch Benson tallied 28 saves, including a game-high of 15 in the second period.
                                • In posting a 36-29 advantage in the circle, Colgate has now earned more possessions than its opponent in 16 of the season’s 25 games.

THE BOTTOM LINE
                                • Rensselaer 3, Colgate 1

RECORD UPDATES
                                • Colgate holds a 7-16-2 record, and a 4-7-2 mark in ECAC Hockey action.
                                • Rensselaer is 8-17-1 overall on the season, and is 5-9-0 in ECAC play.

COACH VAUGHAN’S TAKE
                                “It was a very disappointing night. Our energy was in and out and losing Bobby McMann early didn’t help but others need to rise up. We just didn’t get enough of that tonight. We need more guys to make plays. There were no surprises and RPI played the game we thought they would. At the end of the night it came down to special teams like it often does. They scored two power play goals and we scored one. We will need to be a lot better tomorrow night.”

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                                Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019
                                jjorgensen@colgate.edu

No. 18 Union Upends Men’s Hockey
                                Penalties Prove Problematic in Colgate’s 6-0 Loss at Union

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – The Colgate men’s hockey program dropped a 6-0 decision at No. 18 Union on Saturday evening.

Colgate faced a lot of defensive play as Union came out strong from the drop of the puck. After the Raiders earned their first quality scoring chance of the game, Union quickly turned it around to score on a breakaway for a 1-0 lead. Although Union got the fast start, the Raiders’ momentum really started to build once they earned the man advantage midway through the opening period. Colgate tallied eight chances at the goal but Union closed out the first with a 1-0 lead.

The second period featured choppy flow spanning either end of the ice. Just as the Raiders started to generate some chances in the Dutchman zone, it was again turned around and sent from mid-ice as Union went bar down for a 2-0 lead midway through regulation. A late period power play continued to pose problems as the Dutchmen increased their lead to 3-0 with the man advantage.

Colgate’s best scoring chance came at the horn of the second period as the Raiders batted the puck at the crease until the buzzer but headed to the locker room facing a 3-0 deficit. Upon returning to the ice for the third period, Colgate sat for three additional penalties, two of which Union converted on. With just under 7:00 to go in regulation, the Dutchmen topped off their scoring with an even strength goal for a 6-0 final in ECAC Hockey action.

STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
                                • Five of Colgate’s 20 shots on goal were tallied by sophomore Nick Austin. His five on net is a career-high.
                                • Defenseman Paul Meyer led the Raiders with four blocked shots as the team posted an eventual 17 on the night. The four stops ties his two-time season-high.
                                • In entering the game to man the crease for the third period, freshman goaltender Andrew Farrier made his first appearance since his start against Quinnipiac (Dec. 29). The Montreal, Quebec, native posted 11 saves in the third period of play.
                                • Freshman Mitch Benson tallied 27 saves through the first two periods, including a game-high of 14 in the opening period.
                                • Colgate went 0-for-1 on its lone power play opportunity of the night that came midway through the first period.
                                • Union’s 44 shots on goal ties the most allowed in a game this season by the Raiders after allowing the same to then-No. 7 Ohio State (Nov. 9).

THE BOTTOM LINE
                                • No. 18 Union 6, Colgate 0

RECORD UPDATES
                                • Colgate holds a 7-17-2 record, and a 4-8-2 mark in ECAC Hockey action.
                                • No. 18 Union is 13-8-5 overall on the season, and is 6-7-1 in ECAC play.

COACH VAUGHAN’S TAKE
                                “This was tough. We got beat badly and it’s a lot more of the same for us. There are a couple of elephants in the room when it comes to our team right now and that’s the lack of offense and our penalty kill. We just have to find a way to be better.

“When you’re not scoring it’s tough. When you give up a couple of goals it’s a long climb up. Perhaps we bottomed out tonight and now we’ve got to find a way out of this. It really got away from us and [Union] took it to us.

“We have got to find a way to right our ship and stay together as a group. When you have a tough loss like tonight you don’t want negativity creeping into the locker room. We’ve got to find a way to keep it positive, find a silver lining and keep working. We have a good group and need to keep plugging away.”

UP NEXT
                                Colgate returns to Class of 1965 Arena next weekend when it hosts St. Lawrence and Clarkson for continued ECAC Hockey action. Puck drop is slated for 7 p.m. on both Feb. 8-9.

FOLLOW THE RAIDERS
                                For more information on the Colgate men's hockey program, follow the Raiders on Twitter @ColgateMIH and Instagram at colgate_mih.

Comment

Working...
                                X