X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge: The Banana Bread Is Running Out

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    I don't have a 5 year plan. I'm happy to be an engineer and not climb the corporate/management ladder.
    I feel you also. I had my review in August and my "career counselor" was talking about me showing leadership abilities and asking if I wanted to become a career counselor myself. I was just like, "I'll think about it."

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Oh God, I feel you here. I had a talking to about developing a "growth mindset" and that I need to start thinking about how to grow my position because I "run a function" and now report to a VP (my boss got promoted and a larger team last year). My boss did a 360 review on me last month and shared the results with me Wednesday. She went to 5 or 6 folks that I work with and asked them to provide my strengths and opportunities. She prefaced it by saying she's had two of these done on her and it was difficult and to take these comments with a grain of salt. But it's hard to do when reading that stuff about myself from people I confided/vented to as a one-to-one friendship conversation and seeing they took that to mean I need to be more. So, I guess I won't be venting to anyone any more. You guys will get the brunt of that.

I sent her an email today as a response to an email she sent this morning to our team about some lower level kind of work I will take over. She had called me into her office about 4:45pm last night while meeting with two of my teammates and mentioned this and would I be OK and of course I said yes. I'm always happy and willing to help out the team but I felt, based on the email and the responses that had all been having conversations without me and made this decision. So, I said I'm doing what she coached me on and not letting things fester and standing up for myself and asked for a face to face with either just her or the whole team for a clarifying discussion on roles and responsibilities. It seemed that changes were being made to my job responsibilities without my input and that wasn't fair or respectful to me. She emailed back and provided more context. I think she was annoyed because in the past, when she gets emails like that, she texts and then calls to talk about it and this time she sent an email. And now that I re-read what I sent her, I probably could have worded the email a little differently. But I'm getting a little frustrated after being the person everyone goes to for work others don't want to do. I honestly don't mind doing work like that, I just want to be in on the conversation about it.
      This is giving me flashbacks. I was the person that was willing to do anything the Practice needed. Instead of that being seen as a strength it was something my boss used as a reason I wasn't good enough, wasn't sure enough in my role, and a whole lot of other sh1te. Boiled down to being a team player when the rest of the team didn't think they owed it to the team.

Solved it by asking her exactly how she thought I should be dealing with these things and every time she contradicted herself or changed the target (which could be a few times a day) I would internal message her to state what my understanding was of what she had said previously, my understanding of the new directive, asking her to clarify if I was incorrect. I never contradicted or argued with what she said. I just made sure to label the behaviour every time. I figured doing that would make her her dam uncomfortable. Eventually she decided being uncomfortable wasn't worth it. It didn't increase her like for me but I had enough of taking one to help the team and being taken for granted.

Comment

*HT

a
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

HHT!
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
          Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

*HT. Also, the * the Flu Table.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              *HT. Also, the * the Flu Table.
              sorry. That is no fun.

HHT! Our goalie just got his 52nd D I win

Comment

*HT, although I missed the game, due to working late. Guess I didn't miss much.

As for career advancement, I remember distinctly telling the head of the building, in my hiring interview, that I was going to sit his chair...someday. 18+ years later, I was asked about that by my current boss (who sits in that chair). I said I want nothing to do with it. My position that I have now? Perfect for me. I pretty much am my own boss (as for daily work), I "have" my own building, and while this past week was an exception, I rarely have to deal with any people besides my truck drivers and my co-worker (who feels the exact same way I do about this job).
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  This is giving me flashbacks. I was the person that was willing to do anything the Practice needed. Instead of that being seen as a strength it was something my boss used as a reason I wasn't good enough, wasn't sure enough in my role, and a whole lot of other sh1te. Boiled down to being a team player when the rest of the team didn't think they owed it to the team.
                  Me too.

For almost 35 years (my 40th anniversary is next month) I did whatever was needed to get the job done. I was a "working" manager, as were all the other managers and supervisors on the production floor. A new regime (GM and operations manger) came in and suddenly over the last 5 years that work ethic was deemd "antiquated" and not suitable for today's "lean" techniques. We were all told our "tribal knowledge" was worthless. Well, in 6 months or so, the operation will likely be shuttered for good. All that business school mentality ruined what was once a thriving leader in our industry.

My last 3 or 4 reviews were the worst I've ever had. After the last one, I went to HR to complain and asked how I (along with the "dinosaurs") managed to last so long? The HR manager, being a long timer herself, agreed with me in principal but told me the best course of action was to "play the game" for as long as I could because they weren't going to change their mindset. It's like the sweat equity I put in over the years was all for naught.

The saddest thing about the whole situation is we'll all be out of jobs but the management that drove us into the ground will still be employed (transfers to other locations, etc).
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                  Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                    Me too.

For almost 35 years (my 40th anniversary is next month) I did whatever was needed to get the job done. I was a "working" manager, as were all the other managers and supervisors on the production floor. A new regime (GM and operations manger) came in and suddenly over the last 5 years that work ethic was deemd "antiquated" and not suitable for today's "lean" techniques. We were all told our "tribal knowledge" was worthless. Well, in 6 months or so, the operation will likely be shuttered for good. All that business school mentality ruined what was once a thriving leader in our industry.

My last 3 or 4 reviews were the worst I've ever had. After the last one, I went to HR to complain and asked how I (along with the "dinosaurs") managed to last so long? The HR manager, being a long timer herself, agreed with me in principal but told me the best course of action was to "play the game" for as long as I could because they weren't going to change their mindset. It's like the sweat equity I put in over the years was all for naught.

The saddest thing about the whole situation is we'll all be out of jobs but the management that drove us into the ground will still be employed (transfers to other locations, etc).
                    That kinda happened overall to my company in the past few years. Thankfully, the bosses in my building still put sweat equity into their jobs. Before, you didn't have to have a degree to be in mgmt. My first overall boss worked his way up from a truck loader to running the building, and we were the #1 building of our size in the nation for years, as for numbers/etc. Now, you have to have a degree. That eliminated a lot of people from possible mgmt positions, people who know all the processes/etc in and out, from experience.

From what I hear from other buildings, 5% time "on the floor" is the max time allowed/recommended for any manager. We ignore that "rule." And we're still consistently top 2 overall in the country because of it.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Good morning to tLodge!
                      Quinnipiac Bobcats
                      2023 National Champions
                      Northeast Regional:

Comment

Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                          Me too.

Yeah, this is pretty similar to what is going on with me. I’ve been told that my tenure at the company at one position is now pretty much a detriment to my viability as an employee. When I was in Ireland with my boss, we had a couple of good talks. She recommended I used this contact she had to help me develop my LinkedIn page and update my resume. I believe her when she says at this time, there is no worry about my position. However it wouldn’t surprise either of us if in six months there’s a re-org and my position gets eliminated. She wants me to be ready (and I really do appreciate that).

I said to her in my one on one with her last week that I wanted her to send me that contact information so I can start this process. She said she was going to send it to me when we got back from Ireland. I’m going to bother her till she does. And during that conversation we had in the fall, she implored me to develop my external network. I wanted to reach out to this woman who was a contractor on my team last fall and found out yesterday she got laid off. D’oh! I still think I’m going to reach out and suggest coffee or drinks or something.

Comment

What gets me is that it wasn't all that long ago that longevity and loyalty went a long way in the American work force. Today it's all about the bottom line, doing more with less, etc.

For me, it's not just the employees, it's the families that are being affected. In the case of my place, there's about 20 of us with 30 or more years of service. We went to school together, watched each other become adults, get married, start families... all the American dream stuff. These new, young MBA's haven't got a clue what that's all about.

At 60, I'm too young to retire and too old to start over again. I'm worried no one will hire me, and if they do, certainly won't see anywhere near the salary I currently make. I'm not looking forward to the next few months of my life.

Not to mention I've never even been on a job interview...
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            Northeast Regional:

Comment

Business schools ruined the country. Especially those Wharton ducks.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

*ht.
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                Northeast Regional:

Comment

Working...
                                X