Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 ECAC Championship Weekend in Lake Placid

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
    You cannot tell on replay but looks like #21 of Clarkson does not attempt to play the puck while clearing the zone. Besides the linesman will bark out loudly “off” “off” informing both teams especially Clarkson who if he does touch it will be a face off in Clarkson’s D zone, thus penalizing Clarkson for touching the puck.

As for the announcers, I think they are referring to either the original play getting into the zone or this play where they clearly see that Clarkson is in an off side position but make no mention of , not playing the puck and clearing the zone which would nullify the off side.

Look I get it as as Big Red fan, as a college hockey fan let’s move on and congratulate both teams on a great game.
    To me only one announcer was barking on the offsides. That announcer seems to be a CORNELL HOMER! (One Topher Scott Cornell '08) Bottom line its over. Move on. If it was a blown call can't change it. They reviewed offside per rule book and didn't find conclusive evidence of the crime.

One thing I wonder, is Schaffer hinting at stepping down? (watch presser).

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatcard View Post
      To me only one announcer was barking on the offsides. That announcer seems to be a CORNELL HOMER! (One Topher Scott Cornell '08) Bottom line its over. Move on. If it was a blown call can't change it. They reviewed offside per rule book and didn't find conclusive evidence of the crime.

I didn't watch the presser but i saw most all of his remarks quoted, if you referring to his remarks about "i have to decide if i wan't to keep being a college hockey coach or not," i think he meant he had to choose his words wisely about the ECAC officiating, and the choices the refs made in this game about the net falling on his goalie. Because what he really wanted to say probably would cast a poor light on the ECAC and possibly Cornell... That was kind of my interpretation, I could be way off..

Comment

Where are you able to see it? Would like to watch it. Can't find it on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by CLKHockey View Post
          Where are you able to see it? Would like to watch it. Can't find it on youtube.
          Saw it live.

Comment

Saw it live.
            Oh neat, we were in the Clarkson hospitality room getting ready to drink champagne out of the trophy with the boys lol..missed it. it will pop up on youtube eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by CLKHockey View Post
              I didn't watch the presser but i saw most all of his remarks quoted, if you referring to his remarks about "i have to decide if i wan't to keep being a college hockey coach or not," i think he meant he had to choose his words wisely about the ECAC officiating, and the choices the refs made in this game about the net falling on his goalie. Because what he really wanted to say probably would cast a poor light on the ECAC and possibly Cornell... That was kind of my interpretation, I could be way off..
              That was Mike biting his tongue... rather hard.
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
              Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Watched the games over the weekend on ESPN. They were entertaining. It looked like a great crowd. Was it a full house? I use to go to LP as a kid. Did they knock down the old rink and rebuild or is it the same barn?
                Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                  Watched the games over the weekend on ESPN. They were entertaining. It looked like a great crowd. Was it a full house? I use to go to LP as a kid. Did they knock down the old rink and rebuild or is it the same barn?
                  Depends on how old you are I guess... they play in the HB 1980 Rink which opened in 1979... It was a decent crowd but honestly I thought there would be more for the championship game.. I think I read there was a reported 5,700 in attendance. So about 75% full.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                    I would have to disagree and I am not a Big Red bashed but rather a avid Ivy then ECAC fan. Brosseau while just outside of blue line poke checks the puck while two Clarkson players are tagging up. The key here is these players are making no play on the puck so the refs are correct in letting the play continue. This is not like the old days where a whistle occurs at every touch on a off sides.
                    Thanks for this explanation. It's in accord with what I have read in other analyses.

I've always respected Clarkson and really enjoy watching them play now with Jones and Brekke -- it's like a scrimmage. That was an outstanding final, exciting throughout, with much ebb and flow. The Malott and Galajda injuries certainly take some of the shine off the game, but neither was the fault of Clarkson who played an outstanding game. If the early penalties were weak we still could have killed them. The Golden Knighs deserve full credit for executing to the situation they were given; that is all one can ask (Cornell was in the same position the prior night against Brown).

The teams are now 1-1-1 in three meetings. Let's settle it with one more in Buffalo. Good luck to Clarkson and to all the ECAC teams in the NC$$.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: 2019 ECAC Championship Weekend in Lake Placid

As for the Cornell goalie and the net. I have talked to division 1 college referees not the ones that reffed the game but other ones and the reason the whistle was never blown was because even the goalie was trapped under the net was because the net was still on the pegs. Although I am going to ask the question that's the 800lb gorilla in the room is will the tournament be returning to lake placid as the contract expired with this years tournament. I personally believe that the tournament should stay right where it is I believe they have found a home for the tournament in lake placid. This years attendance figures for the weekend was 15,300 which if you go back in attendance numbers sense them and Hockey East split for the 1993 title was the third best numbers they have had behind the 1999 (Lake Placid) tournament which had five games and 2003 (Albany) which had 4 games. So if you wanna look it with numbers of games this was best year that they have had not to mention the atmosphere in Placid is so nice to go with the tournament. Seeing all the fans of different teams walking around town all weekend. When the tournament was in Albany

Comment

Originally posted by kcphotovideo View Post
                        As for the Cornell goalie and the net. I have talked to division 1 college referees not the ones that reffed the game but other ones and the reason the whistle was never blown was because even the goalie was trapped under the net was because the net was still on the pegs. Although I am going to ask the question that's the 800lb gorilla in the room is will the tournament be returning to lake placid as the contract expired with this years tournament. I personally believe that the tournament should stay right where it is I believe they have found a home for the tournament in lake placid. This years attendance figures for the weekend was 15,300 which if you go back in attendance numbers sense them and Hockey East split for the 1993 title was the third best numbers they have had behind the 1999 (Lake Placid) tournament which had five games and 2003 (Albany) which had 4 games. So if you wanna look it with numbers of games this was best year that they have had not to mention the atmosphere in Placid is so nice to go with the tournament. Seeing all the fans of different teams walking around town all weekend. When the tournament was in Albany
                        To be fair, Albany usually seemed to have the short end of the stick when it came to teams with fanbases that travel well. This year, you had local Clarkson (who travels well, regardless), and Cornell (who are arguably the best traveling fan base in the league).

That said, from a fan experience, Lake Placid is always special. It's a destination, of sorts. They make the event feel important, and there's enough to do for free time. It always felt like an after-thought in Albany, IMO. The olympic sheet may not be ideal, but that is on a short list of "negatives" for Lake Placid, personally.

Comment

I don't think the tournament is going anywhere anytime soon. The attendance figures have been solid and have continued to go up steadily every year. The arena seats less than half what the arena in Albany seats and is perfect for the turnout figures for the tournament, which have been pretty steady for more than the past 10 years. I think, as long as Lake Placid wants to continue to host the tournament, then it's theirs to keep. The commissioners statement of "I think ECAC hockey has finally found its home" seems to back this up.
                          St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                          4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                          2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                          16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                          9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                          2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

I think you were counting Fridays attendance twice. The total was slightly over 10,000 for the weekend.

Comment

I really don't see the big surface as a negative. There is really nothing unfair about it in my opinion. I love watching teams play on it. I have a feeling it's not going anywhere anytime soon, but we will all see!

Comment

Having been to Albany, Atlantic City and Lake Placid, I prefer Lake Placid hands down. Great place to hang and to watch a game. There is a lengthy previous thread on this subject somewhere on USCHO where many other northeast venues were spitballed and IIRC Lake Placid was the general consensus.
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X