X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
    I've got a controversial opinion......

I think that Hockey East has run its course.

I'd like to see America East sponsor hockey (Maine, UNH, Vermont and UMass-Lowell are members). Invite Merrimack (they are joining D1 NEC), UMass (A-10), UConn (AAC) and Northeastern (CAA). An 8 team league under the America East umbrella where Maine is a full member.

28 regular season games (2 home & 2 away) vs. each member.

Q-Finals best of 3.....1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc.

Rotate America East Hockey Tourney between Portland, Manchester & Springfield.

Screw BC, BU and Providence.....they'll survive (BC & BU to NCHC? Providence to ECAC?)
    Four different teams have won the conference title in the last ten years. Four other different teams have made the conference championship game and lost. Every season since 2014, the conference has placed 3 teams in the conference tournament. The conference hasn't run its course. It's just not the world of the Big Four anymore. Just because it's too hard for Maine now doesn't mean it needs to be blown up.
    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
      I've got a controversial opinion......

I think that Hockey East has run its course.

I'd like to see America East sponsor hockey (Maine, UNH, Vermont and UMass-Lowell are members). Invite Merrimack (they are joining D1 NEC), UMass (A-10), UConn (AAC) and Northeastern (CAA). An 8 team league under the America East umbrella where Maine is a full member.

28 regular season games (2 home & 2 away) vs. each member.

Q-Finals best of 3.....1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc.

Rotate America East Hockey Tourney between Portland, Manchester & Springfield.

Screw BC, BU and Providence.....they'll survive (BC & BU to NCHC? Providence to ECAC?)
      I’d actually like to go the other way and see the hockey east teams play each other in all sports. I really don’t understand BU and Northeastern. Perhaps their fans are happy with their new conference, but to me it seems like teams as bad as in the America East but further away and less well known around here.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        I’d actually like to go the other way and see the hockey east teams play each other in all sports. I really don’t understand BU and Northeastern. Perhaps their fans are happy with their new conference, but to me it seems like teams as bad as in the America East but further away and less well known around here.
        $$$$. CAA and Patriot League rights deals are better and the cash ofsets travel.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

The goal for both schools is probably to get up to the A10 but at least for NU the CAA is miles better than America East in basketball and especially baseball, which has become a seriously competitive program at NU and the conference affiliation got them an at-large bid to that tournament last year.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
            The goal for both schools is probably to get up to the A10 but at least for NU the CAA is miles better than America East in basketball and especially baseball, which has become a seriously competitive program at NU and the conference affiliation got them an at-large bid to that tournament last year.
            From what I understand, BU's motivation was to align themselves with more "academically" reputable universities. Agganis got built for one reason only - Jack Parker. IMO the school has been de-emphasizing sports for awhile now (at least the high cost ones - football comes to mind, which we eliminated over 20 years ago now). The only "expensive" sports left are basketball and hockey. There are actually more women's varsity sports than men's (including golf, which was only a club sport even when I was in school). I sometimes almost think that they would eliminate hockey if they weren't afraid of a rebellion. But fear not...the fan base has dwindled to the point where they can outlast us. Most of us will be dead soon.

I don't believe for one second that the "goal" is to join the A-10. At least not for BU...I can't speak for NU.

Comment

per Mark Divver, Pearson just signed with Detroit..

and (pls don't shoot the messenger), per Jeff Cox just now.. Brady Keeper signs with Florida Panthers.
              Last edited by northeastern; 03-18-2019, 01:43 PM. Reason: edit/adding info
              GO NU HOCKEY
              Always bullish on the future.
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Keeper gone as well

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Congratulations to Pearson. That hurts Maine for next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                    I think it is time to fire Red. It is such a shame he can't see obvious change in the game.

C'mon man... C'mon!

Holding us hostage now. C'mon man!
                    You hit it on the head! Every team that allowed four or more goals in the first two games of the Hockey East quarterfinals should fire their coach immediately!

UNH (11GA), Boston College (8 GA), Providence (8GA), UML (7 GA), Boston University (6GA) and UMass (4GA) should all begin the search for a new coach!

The people on this forum are something else. Maine gave up three goals in regulation and you’re trying to tell me Red’s defensive philosophy is the issue. Come on. The problem last weekend was putting pucks in the net and getting the goals to count when they did go in the net.

Someone also mentioned that Red hasn’t brought in any recruits with “hands.” I’m guessing that person hasn’t watched Pearson or Tralmaks play. I had a few Northeastern fans come up to me this weekend and mention those two specifically.

Next year’s senior class has been Red’s best recruiting class. I feel like he started turning the corner with that class and I hope we see the results next season if they all stick around.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post
                      You hit it on the head! Every team that allowed four or more goals in the first two games of the Hockey East quarterfinals should fire their coach immediately!

UNH (11GA), Boston College (8 GA), Providence (8GA), UML (7 GA), Boston University (6GA) and UMass (4GA) should all begin the search for a new coach!

The people on this forum are something else. Maine gave up three goals in regulation and you’re trying to tell me Red’s defensive philosophy is the issue. Come on. The problem last weekend was putting pucks in the net and getting the goals to count when they did go in the net.

Someone also mentioned that Red hasn’t brought in any recruits with “hands.” I’m guessing that person hasn’t watched Pearson or Tralmaks play. I had a few Northeastern fans come up to me this weekend and mention those two specifically.

Next year’s senior class has been Red’s best recruiting class. I feel like he started turning the corner with that class and I hope we see the results next season if they all stick around.
                      Ignore everything I just said if Pearson and Keeper are gone. But it is funny that Red can’t recruit, yet two players are leaving early to go pro.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                        Keeper gone as well
                        Keeper signed a free agent contract with the Florida Panthers. Good luck Brady!

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                          Congratulations to Pearson. That hurts Maine for next year.
                          Hopefully Pearson and Keeper are all we lose.

A first line of Fossier-Doherty-Tralmaks would still be pretty solid.

Now we have to hope JSS develops, Dawe turns into a productive second-line guy and the freshmen class is strong.

Ugh. There goes my optimism.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                            Both are 1 bid leagues and America East will be seeded higher than the CAA in both men’s & women’s hoops. Baseball? Everyone in the Northeast should drop the sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post
                              Ignore everything I just said if Pearson and Keeper are gone. But it is funny that Red can’t recruit, yet two players are leaving early to go pro.
                              He can’t coach or motivate then.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                                He can’t coach or motivate then.
                                Right. That’s why they played well enough at the college level for NHL teams to want to sign them. Come on.

Comment

Working...
                                X