X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most Dominant D3 Hockey Team?

This ...
    Originally posted by nascoo View Post
    First off you cannot compare teams across eras. 20 years ago there were far less D1 teams and thus a lot of D1 talent made it to top tier of
    D3. Keith Accoin, Kurtis McLean to name a couple home boys.
    Teams today get less skilled/sized players from 2 decades ago.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
      This ...

Less sized? What are you talking about? Defensemen 6'5" and up? Faster skaters by far. Goalies who are big enough to be professional football players?

Skill wise? I'm watching, first hand, kids at the 12U age level do things most high school players couldnt do 25 years ago.

I love me some old school 1990s hockey, but it's not even close. We have a parent on our team who played several seasons at the NHL level and AHL...he recently retired this year because even he said the game has gotten that much faster across the board. Yes, hes gotten slower with age, but hes seen first hand also how the games speed, quickness, and technology has grown.
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

This ...

Stick a team from the 80s-90s in 2019 without any technology advancements or training and they would struggle to win 1 game against any d3 team. Game has changed so much

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
          I was there folks and he is right on ... Point was the fastest western team I have ever seen. Big ice ... small ice would not have mattered with this crew .
          I'll take your word for it since you were there and it is hard to judge speed on the stream... but the Point sure did to seem to bottle up Norwich between the blue lines more than any team I can recal them playing this season. There were many instances where Norwich would gain control and start to break toward center ice and get stymied.... or they would get to center ice but no further like they normally do with ohter teams.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
            What are you talking about?
            Do you believe P'burgh is getting the same quality recruits (comparatively) that they did 20 years ago?

Comment

Do you believe P'burgh is getting the same quality recruits (comparatively) that they did 20 years ago?
              Apples to oranges…….

That has NOTHING to do with the content here. You're comparing 3 different things. Overall the skill level, knowledge, speed, size, and technology has grown exponentially. Both at the minor hockey level, all the way up through. While there were a handful of Grade A recruits back in the 1990's, there are a TON of Grade A recruits now days. And still, teams are built faster, stronger, and larger than before.

Plattsburgh's "recruiting" (or there the lack of) has nothing to do with size and skill. To play devils advocate, if Plattsburgh isn't getting those "same recruits", what the hell is Geneseo, Oswego, Buff State, Potsdam getting? You can not compare a team vs team, as SOME teams have lost their recruiting ability for numerous reasons. Hobart was a perennial cellar dweller 25 years ago, now a Final Four contender. If you can honestly look at a group of players from 1990 and tell me they would do just fine (and be the same player) in todays faster, stronger, and more skilled hockey world, the credibility to any argument is gone. Yes some players would make a DIII team. I mean hell we pretty much have high end Junior teams at some of the weaker schools, but the top programs (all the way up to DI for college).

I said it once and I will say it again, I am watching kids at the youngest level do things that a lot of high school kids couldn't do 25 years ago. Another example (more on the technology side) I purchased my first true flex stick a few months ago. I had been using the basic composite stick for years. The first shot I took with the flex stick felt like I was 18 again. Our AA youth team also attends a speed and agility training twice a week during the summer. Something that really wasn't offered (to the larger extent 25 years ago). We are teaching torpedo defense and wing locks, when 25 years ago we spent most of the season trying to figure out a simple breakout pattern. It is even more glaring when we attend the larger tournaments and watch the skill level at the upper divisions.

I am not in the "get off my lawn" mindset, sorry. Facts are facts, teams are bigger, stronger, faster, more skilled, and have better technology. While Id like to think we watched the best hockey back in the 80s and 90s, its just not true.
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by nujack View Post
                I'll take your word for it since you were there and it is hard to judge speed on the stream... but the Point sure did to seem to bottle up Norwich between the blue lines more than any team I can recal them playing this season. There were many instances where Norwich would gain control and start to break toward center ice and get stymied.... or they would get to center ice but no further like they normally do with ohter teams.
                UWSP's forecheck was relentless for the most part. When Norwich was able to move the puck out of their d-zone, UWSP's d-men gapped up quickly in the neutral zone forcing Norwich to dump and chase, or fired in a long range shot on net and then crashed for a rebound. The problem with both is UWSP won just about every d-zone board battle (due to size) on the dump ins and Ryckman didn't give up many juicy rebounds. He simply redirected the puck into the corner or covered. This is how UWSP played all season and subsequently when undefeated from a defensive standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                  Apples to oranges…….

That has NOTHING to do with the content here. You're comparing 3 different things. Overall the skill level, knowledge, speed, size, and technology has grown exponentially. Both at the minor hockey level, all the way up through. While there were a handful of Grade A recruits back in the 1990's, there are a TON of Grade A recruits now days. And still, teams are built faster, stronger, and larger than before.

Plattsburgh's "recruiting" (or there the lack of) has nothing to do with size and skill. To play devils advocate, if Plattsburgh isn't getting those "same recruits", what the hell is Geneseo, Oswego, Buff State, Potsdam getting? You can not compare a team vs team, as SOME teams have lost their recruiting ability for numerous reasons. Hobart was a perennial cellar dweller 25 years ago, now a Final Four contender. If you can honestly look at a group of players from 1990 and tell me they would do just fine (and be the same player) in todays faster, stronger, and more skilled hockey world, the credibility to any argument is gone. Yes some players would make a DIII team. I mean hell we pretty much have high end Junior teams at some of the weaker schools, but the top programs (all the way up to DI for college).

I said it once and I will say it again, I am watching kids at the youngest level do things that a lot of high school kids couldn't do 25 years ago. Another example (more on the technology side) I purchased my first true flex stick a few months ago. I had been using the basic composite stick for years. The first shot I took with the flex stick felt like I was 18 again. Our AA youth team also attends a speed and agility training twice a week during the summer. Something that really wasn't offered (to the larger extent 25 years ago). We are teaching torpedo defense and wing locks, when 25 years ago we spent most of the season trying to figure out a simple breakout pattern. It is even more glaring when we attend the larger tournaments and watch the skill level at the upper divisions.

I am not in the "get off my lawn" mindset, sorry. Facts are facts, teams are bigger, stronger, faster, more skilled, and have better technology. While Id like to think we watched the best hockey back in the 80s and 90s, its just not true.
                  See and where I differ, I firmly believe the elite players from the 80's and 90's would be elite today, with all the advantages you speak of. They had hockey brains that were far superior then and would be today.
                  The Titanic only had one Captain..........
                  "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
                  "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
                  9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
                    See and where I differ, I firmly believe the elite players from the 80's and 90's would be elite today, with all the advantages you speak of. They had hockey brains that were far superior then and would be today.
                    They were seconds slower. The game speed is that much faster. Would we still hear of Joey Ferras? Sure. But I dont think he has nearly the points in today's game compared to late 80s. The teams (especially goalies) have become that much bigger, faster, and more skilled.

That doesnt mean that the "older" teams weren't dominant (in their era), but there is no comparison to the game 25 years ago and now. Sorry. Not even close. That's like trying to argue the American youth hockey is on par with Canadian.....
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

"Brains" isn't the issue, nor (necessarily) is training, technology, coaching, etc... Athleticism trumps "brains" every day of the week when it comes to the essentially simple game of hockey, where speed and strength generally prevails, strategy be ****ed.

The difference between the old days and now is that the talent-pool has been expanded from coast-to-coast, instead of being confined to the Rust Belt, Canada and New England, as it used to be. Ergo, the best players are drawn from a much bigger sample, and the game as a whole has improved as a natural result.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                        "Brains" isn't the issue, nor (necessarily) is training, technology, coaching, etc... Athleticism trumps "brains" every day of the week when it comes to the essentially simple game of hockey, where speed and strength generally prevails, strategy be ****ed.

The difference between the old days and now is that the talent-pool has been expanded from coast-to-coast, instead of being confined to the Rust Belt, Canada and New England, as it used to be. Ergo, the best players are drawn from a much bigger sample, and the game as a whole has improved as a natural result.

I will grant you that there is a larger pool of players than in the past however if you really believe that Wayne Greztky's hockey brain would not make him dominant in today's game you are sorely mistaken. Brains will win out every time over physical ability.

Comment

I will grant you that there is a larger pool of players than in the past however if you really believe that Wayne Greztky's hockey brain would not make him dominant in today's game you are sorely mistaken. Brains will win out every time over physical ability.
                          If you think Gretzky would put up 200+ point seasons in today’s game your sorely mistaken. Slapshots along the ice from 40 feet out don’t go in on JV high school goalies in 2019, they went in on NHL goalies back then.

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
                            If you think Gretzky would put up 200+ point seasons in today’s game your sorely mistaken. Slapshots along the ice from 40 feet out don’t go in on JV high school goalies in 2019, they went in on NHL goalies back then.
                            If you think Wayne took 40 ft slap shots you need to go back and see how he scored all those goals.

Comment

If you think Wayne took 40 ft slap shots you need to go back and see how he scored all those goals.
                              You are severely underestimating how bad goalies were back then

Comment

The whole point of me making this thread was to compare recent teams within the past decade (Or this millennium) and our favorites to watch and who we think had the most talent. But once again a bunch of curmudgeonly old men take it too far and start arguing online about what happened 30 years ago and how it relates today - That wasn't the point of this discussion.

Yeah, no s*** hockey was different back then. There were some things players were better at back then, and a lot of things they were worse at. Thanks for ruining a nice discussion.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Comment

Working...
                                X