Most Dominant D3 Hockey Team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most Dominant D3 Hockey Team?

I've only been following division 3 since 2008, but the most dominant team I've ever seen was the 2009-2010 Lakers team, they blew teams out like I haven't seen before or seen since. They lost a heart-breaker of a game to SNC in the Semi-Finals that year.

They had players like
    Eric Selleck
    Neil Musselwhite
    Jon Whitelaw
    Paul Rodriguez
    Kyle Gunn-Taylor
    Paul Beckwith

Selleck was so dominate it's a shame we only had him for 2 years.
    Neil Musselwhite was the fastest skater in any division that year, beating out all the D1 guys in the fastest skater skills challenge at the Frozen four. Not to mention his Short handed natural hat trick the first and only in D3 history
    http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Probably have to agree with this, at least for Oswego. Musselwhite was the a different species out on the ice and I don't know how he didn't go D1 - Selleck too.

This was also the first year of arguably Gosek's greatest recruiting class ever, some of the players you mentioned (Whitelaw, Rodrigues, Moodie, Muise, Brown, Leimbrock - Went to 4 consecutive Frozen Fours)

Part of me wants to argue that the '13 team was more talented, because that was one of the deepest teams ever. All of the forwards mentioned above with a stacked D and Hare in net should be on this list, but not beating Eau Claire in the title game sets them back.

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
      I've only been following division 3 since 2008, but the most dominant team I've ever seen was the 2009-2010 Lakers team, they blew teams out like I haven't seen before or seen since. They lost a heart-breaker of a game to SNC in the Semi-Finals that year.

They had players like
      Eric Selleck
      Neil Musselwhite
      Jon Whitelaw
      Paul Rodriguez
      Kyle Gunn-Taylor
      Paul Beckwith

Neil Musselwhite was the fastest skater in any division that year, beating out all the D1 guys in the fastest skater skills challenge at the Frozen four. Not to mention his Short handed natural hat trick the first and only in D3 history

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post

They had players like
        Eric Selleck
        Neil Musselwhite
        Jon Whitelaw
        Paul Rodriguez
        Kyle Gunn-Taylor
        Paul Beckwith

It’s a shame that 2010 team didn’t get a chance to play Norwich for the title. Certainly, St. Norbert proved to be a very worthy for going 2 OTs with that powerhouse Norwich team but if I recall correctly it was a really fluke goal for SNC that beat Kyle Gunn Taylor for the game winner.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          It’s a shame that 2010 team didn’t get a chance to play Norwich for the title. Certainly, St. Norbert proved to be a very worthy for going 2 OTs with that powerhouse Norwich team but if I recall correctly it was a really fluke goal for SNC that beat Kyle Gunn Taylor for the game winner.
          No flukes with "Mr March" Cody Keefer

Comment

Originally posted by snc1 View Post
            No flukes with "Mr March" Cody Keefer
            Keefer had some big games vs Oswego, including a hat trick in the 2012 National Championship game!
            SNC Men:
            Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
            NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
            SNC Women:
            O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
              This game would be a huge blowout by the the current Pointer team. The difference in players from 1988 vs today is too great. Go watch some of the clips online of D3 college hockey around that time vs today. It would not be even close. The gap in goaltending alone is just massive as well. The game has changed too much in the past 30 years.

This doesn't mean that 88 Falls wasn't a dominate team in anyway. The better judge is how they did against their competition relative to how UWSP did against their competition. And speaking of this, UWSP trailed in only 5 games total this year.
              see I get tired of the "today's athletes are so much better" narrative. It is such BS. You are short changing those guy. You have no real idea if they would step up or not.
              The Titanic only had one Captain..........
              "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
              "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
              9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
                see I get tired of the "today's athletes are so much better" narrative. It is such BS. You are short changing those guy. You have no real idea if they would step up or not.
                The fact is the players of the past were elite for their time. Who knows how they would respond to modern coaching and techniques - chances are good they would have done just as well now. Goaltending has evolved a lot - but that doesn't mean that if we transported an athlete from the late 80s to the present and gave him a modern approach to the game that he would not dominate the game. It's all speculation.
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

First off you cannot compare teams across eras. 20 years ago there were far less D1 teams and thus a lot of D1 talent made it to top tier of
                  D3. Keith Accoin, Kurtis McLean to name a couple home boys. Pointers had the best D3 season ever, no arguing the first undefeated season.
                  However if D3 decided to play all championships at a neutral site, Herb Brooks arena for example, wonder if the larger ice surface could have changed
                  the outcome. NU was dominated but there advantage speed was neutralized by smaller surface.

Hats off to the Pointer IMO the best D3 team we have seen in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
                    I'm short changing no one. I'm being realistic. Anyone who can watch this and conclude these teams wouldn't get pounded by any of the four that were in Point (and a bunch of others) is either clueless or lying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFem5ru58v4

Now give them some time, updated training and gear and such, and sure the talent might be there to level it out in the long run but you drop one of those two teams in the video right into Point last Friday they lose by 10+ no matter who they played and I might be being generous. That isn't a "narrative" that's a basic fact based in elementary level observation and takes nothing away from the 1988 teams anyway as they were dominant in their own time all the same.
                    Last edited by BetterInLakePlacid; 03-26-2019, 10:34 AM.
                    I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Originally posted by snc1 View Post
                      Hammer doesnt want any part of this conversation with the 08-09 Adrian team?
                      He's been pouting in exile ever since someone called him out for his stupid defense of Connor Armour after he ended the career of Eliot Grauer.
                      I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Originally posted by SNC SID View Post
                        Hard pass. Trying to compare teams from different eras with how styles and systems have changed is a fools' errand only an ESPN talking head just trying to fill air time would attempt.
                        Bump.

Comment

Originally posted by nascoo View Post
                          First off you cannot compare teams across eras. 20 years ago there were far less D1 teams and thus a lot of D1 talent made it to top tier of
                          D3. Keith Accoin, Kurtis McLean to name a couple home boys. Pointers had the best D3 season ever, no arguing the first undefeated season.
                          However if D3 decided to play all championships at a neutral site, Herb Brooks arena for example, wonder if the larger ice surface could have changed
                          the outcome. NU was dominated but there advantage speed was neutralized by smaller surface.

Hats off to the Pointer IMO the best D3 team we have seen in recent years.
                          The larger ice would have made life a living hell for Norwich as they would have tired out even earlier. Where is this narrative coming from that Norwich was faster than Point? It was just not true. From top to bottom of the lineup, there was not a team faster than Point. Their defense was faster than most teams forward groups. There is not a single player on Point's roster that would be considered slow. There is barely anyone that would be considered average speed. Look at Raver on his second goal of the game. This is a 6'3 200ish lbs forward. He blew by the defenders at the blue line to get the mini-breakaway for his goal. Point is a very fast team. There was nothing in that game that showed Point to be the slower team.
                          I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

I'm short changing no one. I'm being realistic. Anyone who can watch this and conclude these teams wouldn't get pounded by any of the four that were in Point (and a bunch of others) is either clueless or lying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFem5ru58v4

Now give them some time, updated training and gear and such, and sure the talent might be there to level it out in the long run but you drop one of those two teams in the video right into Point last Friday they lose by 10+ no matter who they played and I might be being generous. That isn't a "narrative" that's a basic fact based in elementary level observation and takes nothing away from the 1988 teams anyway as they were dominant in their own time all the same.
                            and you believe this, wow. have a nice day

"my 2019 Mazda is way cooler and faster than your 1985 Corvette!!"
                            Last edited by sacole13; 03-26-2019, 11:06 AM.
                            The Titanic only had one Captain..........
                            "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
                            "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
                            9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

The larger ice would have made life a living hell for Norwich as they would have tired out even earlier. Where is this narrative coming from that Norwich was faster than Point? It was just not true. From top to bottom of the lineup, there was not a team faster than Point. Their defense was faster than most teams forward groups. There is not a single player on Point's roster that would be considered slow. There is barely anyone that would be considered average speed. Look at Raver on his second goal of the game. This is a 6'3 200ish lbs forward. He blew by the defenders at the blue line to get the mini-breakaway for his goal. Point is a very fast team. There was nothing in that game that showed Point to be the slower team.
                              I was there folks and he is right on ... Point was the fastest western team I have ever seen. Big ice ... small ice would not have mattered with this crew .

Comment

He's been pouting in exile ever since someone called him out for his stupid defense of Connor Armour after he ended the career of Eliot Grauer.
                                Originally posted by AdrianFansProbably
                                But, but, Armour didn't mean to end his career. Just knock him out of one, maybe two games tops.
                                5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                                2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Working...
                                X