Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Great sweep! It's always special to sweep on the road. Last night, the team had it's slow periods but pulled thru' in the end after a long stretch of losing while entering the 3rd period. In the recent past I would've written them off after MSU scored at the end. I keep saying it, but the offense is so exciting to watch and the D is improving. No more concerns with goaltending from me.

With PSU coming in, Kohl Center should sell out 2 this weekend, but we'll see.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      Great sweep! It's always special to sweep on the road. Last night, the team had it's slow periods but pulled thru' in the end after a long stretch of losing while entering the 3rd period. In the recent past I would've written them off after MSU scored at the end. I keep saying it, but the offense is so exciting to watch and the D is improving. No more concerns with goaltending from me.

Not sure about sellouts - PSU still doesn't have the pull of a UMn, but I would expect very solid crowds at the very least. As for some sort of tribute to Coach Sauer this weekend, I really hope they find a way to do it both nights. As a Saturday night ticket holder those types of things seem to always be reserved for the Friday night game only, which I understand since it is always the "first" home game after the situation occurs.

Great sweep this weekend by UW....have to think PSU will be coming in with a good sized chip on their shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        Originally posted by BuB View Post
        Not sure about sellouts - PSU still doesn't have the pull of a UMn, but I would expect very solid crowds at the very least.
        I'm guessing MCR means "should" as in "the program should be a program that gets 2 sellouts with important conference games," rather than "we can realistically expect..."

The re-building of the fan base only started this January, and it will be a long, long time before the program reaches its potential. The recent winning streak is a tiny blip on the local sports radar when we get out of our bubble of college-hockey-loving, USCHO-forum-account-having fans. Most people don't know anything about college hockey, because it was invisible for about 5 years, which is why so many hockey fans around here don't care about the Badgers.

Remember to bring your enthusiasm to the Kohl Center (without any "back in my day" grumpiness ...we want people to feel included, not excluded). The "old people" haven't sounded all that loud lately!

Comment

Kinda funny G2O have implemented the same PP that MJ is currently running for the women's team, what I would call an umbrella PP. The umbrella PP is gold for the UW women right now, prior to that it sucked, which is confusing considering all the talent on that roster.

My wife failed to dvr the Saturday game on extended time, so I missed MSU tieing the game and the OT winner, which I was really looking forward to seeing, the OT winner that is.

They did not play particularity well like they did against the rodents Saturday night, but still got the sweep. Now beat PSU, losing to them is almost as annoying as losing to the rodents.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Will Johnson has been playing some great hockey lately. Excited for back-to-back home weekends. Let the good times roll.

Comment

I agree re: the PP, Tim. Before G2O came aboard, one thing that was missing from the Badger PP (imo), was the defensemen blasting slappers from the point, ala Ryan Suter. So many things can happen to a puck flying 12" above the ice at 100 MPH for 60 feet.
              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

I haven't seen/heard anything official yet, but I believe that a fighting penalty carries a 1 game suspension in the NCAA.

I hate to say it, but I've been expecting a penalty like this from Greenway to bite us in the rear.

He is an aggressive young man and I often see him giving an extra push or shove after the whistle and have seen him in too many facemask-to-facemask situations where the linesmen have to come separate things.

I get that a player can be riled up and emotional, but you have to be able to keep that under control. One swing in a fight-or-flight reaction I can understand. But taking 3 or 4 big swings is just stupid. Add in the fact that he was smiling/laughing at the officials as they pulled him out of the box to send him off and I'm losing a little bit of respect for the kid. I sure hope he gets the message that things like this hurt the team and he gets a dose of maturity in a hurry.

Injuries + suspension + PSU always throwing LOTS of shots at the net has me worried for this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                  I'm guessing MCR means "should" as in "the program should be a program that gets 2 sellouts with important conference games," rather than "we can realistically expect..."

The re-building of the fan base only started this January, and it will be a long, long time before the program reaches its potential. The recent winning streak is a tiny blip on the local sports radar when we get out of our bubble of college-hockey-loving, USCHO-forum-account-having fans. Most people don't know anything about college hockey, because it was invisible for about 5 years, which is why so many hockey fans around here don't care about the Badgers.

Remember to bring your enthusiasm to the Kohl Center (without any "back in my day" grumpiness ...we want people to feel included, not excluded). The "old people" haven't sounded all that loud lately!
                  Speaking of enthusiasm at the Kohl Center, I'm bringing my teenage son and some buddies up from Chicago for the Fri night Michigan game and am looking for suggestions on where to eat before the game. Thinking the Nitty Gritty would be the go to, especially since we're celebrating his 16th bday, but they don't take reservations on game nights. Is it crazy there before games? Any suggestions for someone who's last Badger home game was at the Colliseum? 😜

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                    Speaking of enthusiasm at the Kohl Center, I'm bringing my teenage son and some buddies up from Chicago for the Fri night Michigan game and am looking for suggestions on where to eat before the game. Thinking the Nitty Gritty would be the go to, especially since we're celebrating his 16th bday, but they don't take reservations on game nights. Is it crazy there before games? Any suggestions for someone who's last Badger home game was at the Colliseum? ��
                    It will be very busy, but if you get there early enough (5 pm or so), you should be fine. Dotty Dumplings is right up the street one block towards state st (known for their hamburgers). Same deal there, need to get there early. There is a relatively new place called double u on university ave right up the block from Wando's 1/2 block that has good bar hamburgers. Wando's is an option and BW3 is right on University a block and a half west of Wandos. And there are lots more options on state street, hamburgers, Mexican, state street brats, portabella (Italian), gyro's (parthenons). And I forgot if you want a good pizza place that is really fast is Ian's pizza by the slice right next to Dotty Dumplings. They have good pizza and lots of weird combinations that are really good. Make sure to stop into Red Shed for a pickle jar LIT and they have fantastic grilled wings.
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                      I haven't seen/heard anything official yet, but I believe that a fighting penalty carries a 1 game suspension in the NCAA.

I hate to say it, but I've been expecting a penalty like this from Greenway to bite us in the rear.

He is an aggressive young man and I often see him giving an extra push or shove after the whistle and have seen him in too many facemask-to-facemask situations where the linesmen have to come separate things.

I get that a player can be riled up and emotional, but you have to be able to keep that under control. One swing in a fight-or-flight reaction I can understand. But taking 3 or 4 big swings is just stupid. Add in the fact that he was smiling/laughing at the officials as they pulled him out of the box to send him off and I'm losing a little bit of respect for the kid. I sure hope he gets the message that things like this hurt the team and he gets a dose of maturity in a hurry.

Injuries + suspension + PSU always throwing LOTS of shots at the net has me worried for this weekend.
                      Not going to excuse the behavior from Greenway, but the hit on Jurusik was ridiculous. Greenway has to keep himself in check. Can't miss games due to stupid penalties like that.

Any word on Timmmmmeeeeee and his knee to knee injury? if they are both out D core will be really short handed (Greenway will be out for sure due to the fighting major)
                      Last edited by WiscTJK; 02-06-2017, 12:33 PM.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Couldn't agree more. UW does seem to have depth @ D, and Greenway is still learning the D1 ropes, so if he misses the one game I'm not too worried, unless Davison is also out. Linhart/McGuire/Tischke/Hurley/Sexton/Bunz is a little sketchy.

I was surprised Soleway didn't land on the 4th line last weekend, he was looking good. Conversely Ustaski is moving up the chart a tad.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                          It will be very busy, but if you get there early enough (5 pm or so), you should be fine. Dotty Dumplings is right up the street one block towards state st (known for their hamburgers). Same deal there, need to get there early. There is a relatively new place called double u on university ave right up the block from Wando's 1/2 block that has good bar hamburgers. Wando's is an option and BW3 is right on University a block and a half west of Wandos. And there are lots more options on state street, hamburgers, Mexican, state street brats, portabella (Italian), gyro's (parthenons). And I forgot if you want a good pizza place that is really fast is Ian's pizza by the slice right next to Dotty Dumplings. They have good pizza and lots of weird combinations that are really good. Make sure to stop into Red Shed for a pickle jar LIT and they have fantastic grilled wings.
                          Thank you! Haven't been to Dotty's since they moved from Fairchild, so that would be fun. Lots of great suggestions- thanks!

Comment

Maybe G2O were reading this...3 first period goals for, 0 first period goals allowed. That is always a good indicator.

After a solid away/neutral sweep of Ohio State, here is where things stand:

Wisconsin gets 93 votes, good enough to get to 18th place in the latest poll
                            RPI climbs to 18
                            PWR also climbs to 18
                            Team O, 3.59 - 7th
                            Team D, 3.14 - 43rd
                            PP, 27/124 21.77% - 10th
                            PK, 91/105 86.7% - 7th
                            Another weekend, another sweep...I could get used to this!

Let's take a look at the numbers:
                            Wisconsin gets 93 votes, good enough to get to 18th place in the latest poll
                            RPI climbs to 18
                            PWR also climbs to 18
                            Team O, 3.59 - 7th
                            Team D, 3.14 - 43rd
                            PP, 27/124 21.77% - 10th
                            PK, 91/105 86.7% - 7th[/QUOTE]

We are up to 232 votes, good for 17th place in the poll
                            RPI continues to climb, up to 15
                            PWR also climbing, up to 15
                            Team O, 3.71 - 6th
                            Team D, 3.12 - 41st
                            PP, 28/133 21.05% - 11th
                            PK, 97/111 87.4% - 6th

This week we get the free-falling PSU Nittany Lions (16-6-2)
                            10th in the poll
                            11th in the RPI
                            11th in the PWR
                            Team O, 4.17 - 1st
                            Team D, 2.58 - 21st
                            PP, 24/116 20.69% - 13th
                            PK, 80/95 84.2 - 21st

Penn State has been an odd team this year; lots of early season success, but at home against poor competition. Recently they have been in a 0-4-1 stretch during which they have not scored more than 4 goals and are averaging just over 2 per game.

Looking a little bit deeper into the numbers gives some interesting insight. For years PSU has been known as a team that will take a shot from pretty-much anywhere inside of the blue line and would put up 40 per game regularly. However, this year UW is ahead of them in shots. Not by much (824-805), but still ahead of them.

The other big thing that jumps out at me is how stats have adjusted based on full season vs conference stats. If you look at full season, UW is 3.71 for and 3.12 against and PSU is 4.08 for and 2.96 against. Trim that sample size down to just conference games and you get a completely different picture; UW at 4.20 for and 2.60 against with PSU at 3.80 for and 3.40 against.

I think that UW has a good chance to get some points. I don't know if I can call for a sweep, however, an undefeated weekend seems realistic.

A few other interesting tidbits:
                            Kunin is now up to 5th (tied) for total goals with 17
                            Sturtz from PSU (also a Sophomore) is also sitting at 17
                            Kunin's 2 short-handed goals are tied for the 3rd most
                            Sturtz from PSU is also sitting at 2
                            I doubt that we'll see him, but PSU has a goalie named Chris Funkey. I'll just leave that one alone.
                            Looking at conference stats only, Jurusik and Berry are 1 and 2 in the B1G with 2.2 and 2.5 GAA
                            Jurusik and Berry are 1 and 3 with SV% of .924 (Jurusik tied with Frey of OSU) and .903
                            UW tied with Minnesota in league play with 4.2 goals scored and leads the conference with 2.6 goals allowed.

Comment

It's good to be optimistic finally after the last few years..... So nice to be competitive.

Comment

Penn State has been an odd team this year; lots of early season success, but at home against poor competition. Recently they have been in a 0-4-1 stretch during which they have not scored more than 4 goals and are averaging just over 2 per game.

Looking a little bit deeper into the numbers gives some interesting insight. For years PSU has been known as a team that will take a shot from pretty-much anywhere inside of the blue line and would put up 40 per game regularly. However, this year UW is ahead of them in shots. Not by much (824-805), but still ahead of them.

The other big thing that jumps out at me is how stats have adjusted based on full season vs conference stats. If you look at full season, UW is 3.71 for and 3.12 against and PSU is 4.08 for and 2.96 against. Trim that sample size down to just conference games and you get a completely different picture; UW at 4.20 for and 2.60 against with PSU at 3.80 for and 3.40 against.

I think that UW has a good chance to get some points. I don't know if I can call for a sweep, however, an undefeated weekend seems realistic.

As to this coming weekend, on the negative side, the Badgers have some injuries and the Greenway suspension. That, and the pessimist in me has this sinking feeling that after a 5-game win streak and the drama of some of those OT games, they might be due for a letdown. Bucky really seemed to take their foot off the gas the middle three periods of that Mich. St. series, so a loss might not be the worst thing, if only to remind them they need to play a full 60 minutes.

On the plus side, despite the injuries and suspensions, Wisconsin seems pretty deep this year, so I'm not too worried about guys stepping into the lineup to plug holes. Also, Penn. St. played a pretty weak schedule this year up until the conference season started, and they promptly got thumped by Minnesota. I caught just a snippet of those games and it looked like Penn. St. had a lot of trouble with the Rodent's speed on the larger ice sheet, which bodes well for Wisconsin at the Kohl. Finally, we haven't lost two games in a row all year long, so even if we get beat Friday night, I have confidence in the coaching staff to fix the issue and get a result on Saturday.

I could easily see a split this weekend, and I'm hoping for more than that (and God, how strange is that to type after the last few years!).

Comment

Working...
                                X