Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes early

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Scoobs, every post you prove that there's no limit to your stupidity.
    Come on, you're better than that.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

What happens if a candidate dies? http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...ntial-election

Comment

We've never delayed an election; not even during a civil war. I personally think the best way to handle it would be for the party to nominate the person with the second-most popular votes from the nomination phase (Sanders; Cruz), keep the same Veeps, and use whatever ballots are available on Election Day and count all votes for the deceased as votes for the new nominee.

It would suck, but anything else would be Constitutionally dangerous and suck more.

Here is more info. I had no idea about Sherman:

In 1912, James Sherman, the Republican candidate for Vice-President (and the incumbent Vice-President under William Howard Taft) died on October 30 of kidney disease, a few days before the general election on November 5. The Republican National Committee scheduled a meeting to be held after the general election, on November 12, to select a successor, and Sherman's name remained on the ticket for the general election. The Republicans lost, however (the Democratic ticket of Woodrow Wilson and Thomas Marshall won), and decided on November 8 not to meet as they had planned because voters only chose eight Republican electors, in Vermont and Utah. These electors did meet later, however, and, acting without instructions from the RNC, voted to replace Sherman's name on the ticket with that of Columbia University President Nicholas Butler of New York. This was a purely formal act with no practical consequences for the election.
        Last edited by Kepler; 08-31-2016, 09:46 AM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          I wondered what the topic on Ground Zero with Clyde Lewis was going to be tonight.

And you know the "Hillary is sick!" crowd will be claiming this is pre-programming, foreshadowing. The "Obama's gonna declare martial law and stay" crowd has to be in a tizzy with that story as well --> "He's gonna do it!" < gaaaarrrrggg >

Personally, if we didn't have two seventy year olds as the last two standing (falling and can't get up?) and the last out before them even older we wouldn't be having such stories.
          Last edited by The Sicatoka; 08-31-2016, 09:56 AM.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

In 1964, Irving Wallace wrote "The Man" about multiple vacancies occurring all at once. The black President Pro Tem became president.

Statistically it is bound to happen, hopefully later than sooner (though in this election it can't happen soon enough).
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Come on, you're better than that.
              Scooby gets what he deserves Kep. He's in the Fishy/Flaggy category of posters!

Regarding the GOP as a front for a media outfit I agree but that leaves the actual officeholders high and dry. Not everyone is going to get a gig on Fox like Huckleberry or Scott Brown did. The 2nd problem is the business model caters to a dwindling base of customers. Back in the 90's Rush Limbaugh commanded a 20M strong audience on his radio show. He's lost a 3rd of that at present and the average age of his listeners keeps climbing. People aren't turning him off. They're dropping dead and not being replaced. Trump may very well start this media business, but I bet he cashes out after a few years (maybe after the next election) and leaves someone else holding the bag.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                All Congress has to do is prove she lied once to them and they're in. The clock is running out but it's not out yet. I could see another Constitutional crisis in December.
                It doesnt work that way man...you need to stop reading Frauddude's blog and watching Faux.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Yes, yes. I'm stupid. The law says if she lied she can be indicted. What makes you think with all the lying that she's done to the public that the Republicans aren't going to be scouring for a lie?

And why is this happening? Strictly her arrogance for running a sham IT dept. out of her home.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    There's a strong Chicken Little Effect. At this point Hillary could probably stand next to Trump and shoot somebody on Fifth Avenue and the believe/don't believe breakdown would be by party.

You can only make sh-t up about somebody so many times before anything you say sounds like you made it up.

But I doubt they care. They know they aren't going to win this election -- for that matter they know they stand more to gain by losing the election and then running their horror movie headlines every day of the Hillary administration -- but each new atrocity they invent back in the FNC (coming soon: Trump TV via Breitbart!) staff room makes them, personally, millions in contributions, ad buys, and book sales.

The GOP is no longer a political party. It is a marketing firm. The highly lucrative product is Poutrage. And if they destroy democracy as a by-product well that's just too darn bad.
                    Agreed...they can make billions for the upcoming midterms if Hillary wins plus the Palin Brigade will lose all sense of power in the party.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Yes, yes. I'm stupid. The law says if she lied she can be indicted. What makes you think with all the lying that she's done to the public that the Republicans aren't going to be scouring for a lie?

And why is this happening? Strictly her arrogance for running a sham IT dept. out of her home.
                      I dont think you are stupid, I think you are looking at it all wrong. Republicans can waste as much time as they want looking for a lie to go after her about only the FBI and the Justice Department have the authority to do anything about it. Unless she committed an impeachable offense she isnt getting indicted.

Look at it this way, Colin Powell and the entire Dubya regime lied to Congress about the intel on WMDs (they knew there was no real evidence) and the FBI didnt go after them. The FBI isnt the legal wing of Congress. It will take more than "Contempt of Congress" to get them to act this isnt the 1950s.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

It's happening because she has a (D) after her name. Republicans impeached Clinton and threatened to impeach Obama. They're going to spend Hillary's entire tenure trying to impeach her. It's how they deal with losing an election and in a way it makes sense. The GOP is no longer a party, it's a cult. If you thwart a cult you are a literal demon that must be exorcised.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          It's happening because she has a (D) after her name. Republicans impeached Clinton and threatened to impeach Obama. They're going to spend Hillary's entire tenure trying to impeach her. It's how they deal with losing an election and in a way it makes sense. The GOP is no longer a party, it's a cult. If you thwart a cult you are a literal demon that must be exorcised.
                          Slick did lie under oath, but they were never going to get 66 votes to convict. Vengeful prosecution is never a good idea.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Now you know.

Former Minnesota Rep. and Donald Trump's evangelical adviser Michele Bachmann said that Donald Trump was "raised up" by God to win in the general election.

"This is one thing I know from the Book of Daniel: the bottom line of the Book of Daniel is this: it teaches us that the most high God lifts up who He will and takes down who he will," she said in an interview with The Brody File that was released on Tuesday.

"I actually supported Ted Cruz. I thought he was fabulous but I also see that at the end of the day God raised up, I believe Donald Trump who was going to be the nominee in this election. I don't think God sits things out. He's a sovereign God. Donald Trump became our nominee," Bachmann continued in the interview, which was conducted on Friday.
                            http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...id=mailsignout
                            A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                              Nobody said sanity was a requirement for public office.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Sham IT department? Check the 'who got hacked' scoreboard again.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                No, the mills-Nolan district was tightly contested last election. I saw more ads for that race than any during 2014 or this year. It has zero to do with the trump race.

Angie Craig is being showered with money because it's a district that had been red for a long-azz time and the DFL correctly senses weakness. It's gone red for all but eight years since 1941. Every other congressional district is set. I don't even have someone legitimately running against McCollum in my district. They haven't in years. She's won by 20-30%.

Also, the 7th is Colin Peterson, not Nolan-Mills. Peterson had a bloody race in 2014. The 8th is Nolan-Mills. It stretches all the way down through North Branch and borders Anoka County. It's no reason you see ads on the big stations based in the Cities. The state doesn't really have any other large stations until you hit Duluth and maybe the EGF or Fargo area. This is pretty much true for most of the state.
                                Yes. I get the Nolan ads on the broadcast networks(which I watch pretty infrequently) because the TC broadcast networks carry up to Chisago/Isanti counties, but see nothing on cable networks because Comcast's advertising areas are much more narrow.

I'm not sure Nolan/Mills round 2 will be as close. Nolan was targeted as vulnerable by the RNC in 2014 because he supported Obamacare so there was a ton of money thrown into that race. It was tight last time, but I can't see Mills' new haircut making that much of a difference.

I am surprised there haven't been more Jason Lewis ads up against Angie Craig. The conversion rate of Galtcoins to Dollars must be pretty weak right now.
                                Originally posted by dicaslover
                                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X