Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2015-16. Got a problem with that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSU Spartans 2015-16. Got a problem with that?

Hi. Hope you all had a good summer

The place looks pretty nice; we don't need no stinkin' green lines.

Re: MSU Spartans 2015-16. Got a problem with that?

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
    Hi. Hope you all had a good summer

The place looks pretty nice; we don't need no stinkin' green lines.
    Summer was good. Thanks for asking.

So what is everyone thinking about the coming season? I'm sure Noke is thinking a NC. Sat92 probably has the Gophers winning it all and Wisco the same with the Badgers. I'm (as I'm sure you know) not thinking that high. I'm thinking a 7-9 non-conference. Losses to Maine. Denver (2). UNH (1). BU. MTU (1) UND (2) and a split at the GLI.
    Wins against LSSU (3). UNH (1). MTU (1). NE and the split at the JLA.

B10: 11-8-1. Against um, 1-3.(I think Red has loaded up) Minny 2-2. OSU 2-1-1. PSU 3-1 and Wisky 3-1. Either third or fourth in the conference.
    18-17-1 over all. And forget about the B10 Tourney. That isn't happening.

Why such a dismal record you ask? Well, no scoring. Re-build on D. And Jake can't score goals as well as play net. Add ineffective coaching from someone more adept at marketing then coaching.
    And there it is. Fourth year in a row with no tourney bid. The first time since 1981 that a four year class failed to make the tournament.

Thoughts.......

Comment

If we don't make the tournament, Anastos needs to go. He said he needed four years for his system, no? That means we better see something in year five.

Hard to believe the season starts next week (W Ontario), but the first actual home game isn't for three weeks or so.

I would like to think we could go 23-12 or something along those lines, but the non-con schedule is pretty brutal outside of Lake State. I suppose that means our Pairwise will be good, but that will be offset by the fact the Big Ten will be a 1-2 bid league again.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Well, now that football is well underway, all of my pre-season optimism and excitement has turned to hockey.

I think we can be a good team. I don't know about a great team, but if we play through the fall as well as we went through the winter last season, I think we'll make the NCAA. Although, I'd feel better about that goal if Jacobs stuck around.

Despite the loss of Jacobs, I think defense will be solid. Goal scoring, though? We're going to to need a breakthrough somewhere. Less surprising things have happened, I guess.

Is there a green and white game this week?

Comment

Another season under Anastos and the same problem persists. Can we score enough goals to take advantage of the great defending/goaltending that we have? Im hopeful, but it will mean 3-4 players have taken a huge step forward in the offseason.

One player I can't talk enough about is MacEachern. He needs to be THE BEST player on the ice when he is on it. He has flashed that ability in his first two years, now he just has to do it all the time. Yes I know hockey is a team sport, but he alone elevating his game just a little bit could be the difference between a tourney bid and another disappointing season. He has the ability to be a special, special player for us.

Also interested to see these freshman take the ice. Would be nice to have a couple good surprises in the group. Can anybody shed some insight on what to expect from the bunch this year?

Comment

[QUOTE=gomsuman;6199597]

One player I can't talk enough about is MacEachern. He needs to be THE BEST player on the ice when he is on it. He has flashed that ability in his first two years, now he just has to do it all the time. Yes I know hockey is a team sport, but he alone elevating his game just a little bit could be the difference between a tourney bid and another disappointing season. He has the ability to be a special, special player for us.
            QUOTE]

It will be interesting to see if MacEachern can take the next step and be the go-to-guy on the offense to replace Berry. It looked like Berry was involved in about 80% of MacEachern's points from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
              Another season under Anastos and the same problem persists. Can we score enough goals to take advantage of the great defending/goaltending that we have? Im hopeful, but it will mean 3-4 players have taken a huge step forward in the offseason.

Also interested to see these freshman take the ice. Would be nice to have a couple good surprises in the group. Can anybody shed some insight on what to expect from the bunch this year?
              I agree about McEachern. He could be a beast. But he reminds me of Johann Franzen of the Red Wings: Can put together a couple of good games, and then disappears for a while.
              From what I've read about the Freshmen; decent, but no one to get excited about. I did some calculations, the returning players averaged just 1.9 goals a game last year. Of course the team averaged just 2.47 (?). Need to hit that 3.25-3.5 mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
                I agree about McEachern. He could be a beast. But he reminds me of Johann Franzen of the Red Wings: Can put together a couple of good games, and then disappears for a while.
                From what I've read about the Freshmen; decent, but no one to get excited about. I did some calculations, the returning players averaged just 1.9 goals a game last year. Of course the team averaged just 2.47 (?). Need to hit that 3.25-3.5 mark.
                The thing about MacEachern is he is a beast, but he needs to ... let's see what is the phrase ... "play within himself". He has the frame and the talent to really affect a game but sometimes I note he's a bit rushed. Yet one can't argue about his being our leading returning scorer. Another player that needs to come up big (again) is Keller, who, if you put everything together, was arguably MSU's best non-goalie player last season. 4th in scoring (with 3 games under the max), tied for second in goals, and easily #1 in plus/minus with a +10. He's got the size you need in this league too.

Comment

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/093015aab.html

Here is a link to Coach's media day pressed. A lot of information to digest. Sounds like he likes what we have this year.

And a few days ago, I ALMOST made a joke saying "so how many players had off season surgeries causing significant time missed?"
                  Well, Incoming freshman Rosberg is out for the year. Anastos did not specify exactly what was up but apparently surgery was the last resort.

Comment

Interesting notes from today's press conference....
                    Rosburg had surgery and will not play this year leaving MSU with 6 dmen plus a promoted club player unlikely to see much if any game action.
                    The Ice Breaker was scheduled as a favor for Walsh.
                    A scheduled series with an unnamed team was pushed to next year because Hollis wanted a game with Northeastern.
                    Team came in in excellent condition and has strong leadership.
                    Anastos spoke highly of Appleton who had test results that reminded of Duncan Keith and Sean Horcroft

Comment

My issue with MacEachern is that he recognizes that he has to be THE guy in some situations, but anecdotally he seems to pick the wrong role when the situation arises. 2 on 1 with space to get off a good shot? Pass to his teammate who gets covered instantly. He'll notice he should've kept it and next time will press to get the shot by trying to skate by two guys when it would've been better to pass.

I like that, because you can tell he knows he's one of, if not the, top player(s) on the team, and doesn't want to be completely selfish, but c'mon man, sometimes you just gotta be Kobe and take over.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                        Interesting notes from today's press conference....
                        Rosburg had surgery and will not play this year leaving MSU with 6 dmen plus a promoted club player unlikely to see much if any game action.
                        This leaves us perilously thin. 6 is the absolute minimum you want for anything but temporary circumstances. An injury there and fatigue will become a very real factor late in games and as the season progresses. I am not sure why Krygier left but if it had anything to do with playing time then he didn't have great timing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                          This leaves us perilously thin. 6 is the absolute minimum you want for anything but temporary circumstances. An injury there and fatigue will become a very real factor late in games and as the season progresses. I am not sure why Krygier left but if it had anything to do with playing time then he didn't have great timing.
                          The news about Rosburg was something that is not entirely shocking, given the timing his last jr. season and how this movie has played before. I wonder if that is why the official roster lists a Joel Arseneault as one of MSU's d-men. Looks like a walk-on from Ontario.

Correction - he was on the club team last season. Oh dear lord - is it 2009 again?
                          Last edited by owslachief; 10-01-2015, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Six defensemen? Oy. I knew Jacobs and Krygier were goners, but, still, that's not a nice number to staring you back in the face.

That said, I like this team on paper. I've heard good things about Appleton and Milan, and we have a really good amount of experience and talent. Crossing my fingers and toes for 20 wins.
                            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                            66 - 86 - 07
                            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                              The news about Rosburg was something that is not entirely shocking, given the timing his last jr. season and how this movie has played before. I wonder if that is why the official roster lists a Joel Arseneault as one of MSU's d-men. Looks like a walk-on from Ontario.

Correction - he was on the club team last season. Oh dear lord - is it 2009 again?
                              At least we waited until the end of the season to start taking club players in '08-'09. (I'm pretty sure that poor kid shattered his shoulder, too.)
                              Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                              66 - 86 - 07
                              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Working...
                              X