This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: COVID-19 - Part 2

THIS terrifying animation shows how coronavirus particles from a single cough can hang in the air "several minutes" and spread across two aisles of a supermarket.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/113597...arket-lingers/

So much for the six feet stuff .....

The scientists involved say that the best way to avoid catching the virus is to stay away from busy public spaces like shops and stations.

Professor Ville Vuorinen of Aalto University in Finland told the BBC: "If you go there, only go there seldom as possible. Stay there as short a time as possible"

In a statement accompanying the video, the researchers said: "Preliminary results indicate that aerosol particles carrying the virus can remain in the air longer than was originally thought, so it is important to avoid busy public indoor spaces.

Great ... any more good news?
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

QUOTE=Chuck Murray;6937156]Wide range of discussion topics with some decent questions (others less so), so let's start here ...

Chuck, first, you do realize that the few models predicting a worst case scenario of 1-2 million deaths in the U.S. is based on doing zero social distancing/sheltering-in-place for the first 18 months. Most models actually were only predicting worst case death scenarios of around 450K. However, with effective mitigation, that number dropped to 100K-200K. Thus, if they're now adjusting it down to 50K-100K, that's not nearly the degree of "miss" on the predictions. Regardless, the fact you're getting all high and mighty about your criticism of these scientists is laughable. Here is a link to an article in "The Scientist" about how difficult it is trying to model this

virus:https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...pandemic-67261

From the article:

Left unchecked, infectious outbreaks typically plateau and then start to decline when the disease runs out of available hosts. But it’s almost impossible to make any sensible projection right now about when that will be, Boni says, or about how many people will ultimately be affected. Modelers can try, but to do so they need much better information, such as how many people infected show natural immunity.

Most of these forward-looking “scenario planning” models currently assume everyone on the planet is susceptible, Edmunds says. Only better surveillance and data, in particular, from serum tests that would indicate whether people have been exposed to the virus whether or not they developed symptoms, will make those calculations more realistic. “At the moment, we’ve got no data to tie that model down. But as the epidemic proceeds and everytime more data comes out, like every day or every week, we refit the model and then we redo our projections.”

If you take the time to read the entire article, you'll see just how difficult modeling this virus truly is. As often seems to be the case, your "argument" falls apart when exposed to accurate information. Next, regarding Hillary. I'm not a fan either and, thankfully, I didn't need to vote for her (although it was much closer than expected in Minnesota). I have to say that your attempt to conflate Hillary calling the 38% that makes up Trump's base "deplorables" as meaning she was calling them "racists, sexists, etc..yada, yada, yada." is kind of cute. Completely ridiculous but cute. Sorry, you can't automatically assume that's what she meant. You're getting desperate Chuck. This moron -- he's literally got the emotional intelligence of a 12 year old -- is the absolute worst president we've ever had. Remember, I have actually voted for more Republicans for president than Democrats. Unfortunately, the party is now under the control of white nationalists like Stephen Miller, as well as individuals who obviously only really care about the 1%ers and corporations. It's unfortunate that someone who seems to be fairly intelligent can't see through the Fox News Fog...

Regarding your anti-science rant/global warming is a left wing hoax rant; it's interesting you choose to link to two non-scientists to try and sway the audience. If you really have any scintilla of actual open-mindedness that human affected global climate change just might, MIGHT, be occurring, then go to this link from the NASA website. Remember, these are the scientists and engineers responsible for moon landings, the space shuttle, and robots landing on mars for crying out loud. How do they gain from trying to propagate a "climate change hoax"?!?

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

From the article:

Scientific evidence for warming of the climate system is unequivocal.
      - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
      The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia.1

Earth-orbiting satellites and other technological advances have enabled scientists to see the big picture, collecting many different types of information about our planet and its climate on a global scale. This body of data, collected over many years, reveals the signals of a changing climate.

The heat-trapping nature of carbon dioxide and other gases was demonstrated in the mid-19th century.2 Their ability to affect the transfer of infrared energy through the atmosphere is the scientific basis of many instruments flown by NASA. There is no question that increased levels of greenhouse gases must cause the Earth to warm in response.

Ice cores drawn from Greenland, Antarctica, and tropical mountain glaciers show that the Earth’s climate responds to changes in greenhouse gas levels. Ancient evidence can also be found in tree rings, ocean sediments, coral reefs, and layers of sedimentary rocks. This ancient, or paleoclimate, evidence reveals that current warming is occurring roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming.3

The evidence for rapid climate change is compelling:

Chuck, here's another link to a PBS NOVA special called "Decoding the Weather Machine". I challenge you and any of our other climate change deniers to actually watch the entire show and come back and tell me there isn't absolutely any evidence for climate change affected/caused by human activity.

https://www.thirteen.org/programs/no...machine-vgqhot

Finally, I want to say ditto to aparch's response to your abortion talking point. To be clear, I don't approve of late term abortions except in the case of health of the mother, or if the pregnancy is a result of incest or rape. But please, I'd really like to hear your answer to the question aparch posed. If we're to consider that ball of cells a life that should be cherished at almost all costs, then in today's times, why wouldn't that child's mom receive the $500 from the Covid stimulus?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        THIS terrifying animation shows how coronavirus particles from a single cough can hang in the air "several minutes" and spread across two aisles of a supermarket.

So much for the six feet stuff .....

The scientists involved say that the best way to avoid catching the virus is to stay away from busy public spaces like shops and stations.

Professor Ville Vuorinen of Aalto University in Finland told the BBC: "If you go there, only go there seldom as possible. Stay there as short a time as possible"

In a statement accompanying the video, the researchers said: "Preliminary results indicate that aerosol particles carrying the virus can remain in the air longer than was originally thought, so it is important to avoid busy public indoor spaces.

Great ... any more good news?
        I know this will fall on deaf (blind and dumb) ears but...

DON’T LINK THE SUN!!!
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Welcome to the Cafe, D-1ers!
          Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
          Who's bright idea was this?
          I guess when your guys couldn't stand the heat any more ... you had to pull a slimy retreat like this.

Yukking it up in the teachers' lounge ... how adorable!! Back to the safe space of your echo chamber.

SO weak. Not surprising, mind you, given the high snowflake content here. But just sooooo weak.

Your unconditional surrenders are accepted. The French Army ain't got nothing on you wusses.

And good luck with that Biden 2020 thingie … *bwaahahahahahahahahahaha …

* - I'm not laughing with you … I'm laughing at you. Over and out.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by chuck murray View Post
            i guess when your guys couldn't stand the heat any more ... You had to pull a slimy retreat like this.

Yukking it up in the teachers' lounge ... How adorable!! Back to the safe space of your echo chamber.

So weak. Not surprising, mind you, given the high snowflake content here. But just sooooo weak.

Your unconditional surrenders are accepted. The french army ain't got nothing on you wusses.

And good luck with that biden 2020 thingie … *bwaahahahahahahahahahaha …

* - i'm not laughing with you … i'm laughing at you. Over and out.
            k
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Rover won't be lonely in Ignore, anyway.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                There is no way we will see ECAC hockey next year. Ivy's will never allow students to return if there is even the slightest chance of another outbreak, which there surely will be.
                We won't be seeing any hockey next year. People keep thinking this is going to be over and done with by July or August.

It isn't.

We'll be lucky to have an election.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFefppqEtE

Own it.

Comment

Yes, because what we all really want is this tardbucket in the same forum as the non-dip**** thread. Truly amazing insight.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Seems fitting …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA-10CfRfPQ

Comment

Victory is ours!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90uPSya4ThY

Comment

It's like watching someone try to do a bat flip after they hit the ball straight up into the air. Although giving credit for making contact is probably being WAY too generous here.

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                            It's like watching someone try to do a bat flip after they hit the ball straight up into the air.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2OfkJubMDI
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                              It's like watching someone try to do a bat flip after they hit the ball straight up into the air. Although giving credit for making contact is probably being WAY too generous here.
                              So basically it's the Expos?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X