National Championship Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: National Championship Site

When you book your flight to Stevens Point (and you will be coming here for the final 4 )... You can (and will probably want to) fly into CWA (Central Wisconsin Airport). This will bring you 15 minutes away from Point. Delta, American and United all fly here. Give me a ring... I drive Uber and have been involved with Pointer Hockey since the mid '80s.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
      I’ve always been confused as to why the boxes from Placid in 2010 say zero as the attendance was at some point included either there or on the printed out versions supplied to media. I want to say the Norwich-Plattsburgh semifinal was 57 or 5900 or something like that and the title game was over 4k. Whatever it was it was big and easily the biggest of any of the years in Placid.
      Are you sure that year was bigger than the first year they had it in Placid? The first year was 2008 with Elmira, Norwich, Plattsburgh and St. Norbert and that year it was VERY full. They list it as 5600 for both of the semifinals so I'm assuming that was a total day attendance and I definitely believe that. There was a huge buzz around the tournament that year.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        Are you sure that year was bigger than the first year they had it in Placid? The first year was 2008 with Elmira, Norwich, Plattsburgh and St. Norbert and that year it was VERY full. They list it as 5600 for both of the semifinals so I'm assuming that was a total day attendance and I definitely believe that. There was a huge buzz around the tournament that year.
        I was there in 2008, and while it was decent sized crowd, I'm skeptical they had 5600 people there for any of the games. I just uploaded some pictures I took in 2008 from that weekend. It was a bigger crowd than 2014 when I went to Lewiston, but I don't think we should overstate what it was.

Gallery here: https://imgur.com/a/XogG7KL
        #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
          So, twice as many people as were in attendance in Utica a couple years ago?
          Immaterial to my point.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
            It'll be interesting to see how the Harborcenter does next year, attendance-wise. 1800 (Harborcenter's listed capacity) might be the correct number for the championship these days.
            It is interesting they gave it to a neutral site with relatively low capacity for a neutral site.

How well it does will of course depend on which teams get there.
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              Good question as I wasn't there in 2008 so forgot about that one, but based on the picture that was posted it doesn't match up to that second semifinal in 2010. Lower bowl was all but full and the upper deck was getting reasonably close.

The most underrated crowd I've seen at one of these things was in Lewiston thanks mostly to a big turnout by the locals relative to many other places it's been held. Only around 2k or so but that filled it up pretty well (despite posted capacity being something like 3600), plus they were into the games despite the fact many probably had zero familiarity with the teams playing. Let's be honest...Lewiston isn't the most palatial town on the planet and nothing at all compares to Lake Placid (which is the perfect location and should host this thing every year), but in terms of how that one was run Bowdoin and the local organizers did an incredible job and I wouldn't complain one bit if it was back there at some point.

As far as this year goes, my biggest fear is people getting turned away. You put this thing in Point and it's going to be 1-2k people turned away for the session Point is in. Likely the same to some (or even greater?) extent at St. Norbert, Geneseo, Oswego and perhaps others. How would things go in Geneseo if Oswego was also there? And quite frankly, if it happens I'd rate it somewhere between embarrassing and disgraceful.
              Last edited by XYZ; 03-02-2019, 12:06 AM.
              I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                It is interesting they gave it to a neutral site with relatively low capacity for a neutral site.

How well it does will of course depend on which teams get there.
                League championships or national championships there ... despite how nice the facility is ... are a problem because of capacity.

Comment

As far as this year goes, my biggest fear is people getting turned away.
                  Bingo.

Comment

Good question as I wasn't there in 2008 so forgot about that one, but based on the picture that was posted it doesn't match up to that second semifinal in 2010. Lower bowl was all but full and the upper deck was getting reasonably close.

The most underrated crowd I've seen at one of these things was in Lewiston thanks mostly to a big turnout by the locals relative to many other places it's been held. Only around 2k or so but that filled it up pretty well (despite posted capacity being something like 3600), plus they were into the games despite the fact many probably had zero familiarity with the teams playing. Let's be honest...Lewiston isn't the most palatial town on the planet and nothing at all compares to Lake Placid (which is the perfect location and should host this thing every year), but in terms of how that one was run Bowdoin and the local organizers did an incredible job and I wouldn't complain one bit if it was back there at some point.

As far as this year goes, my biggest fear is people getting turned away. You put this thing in Point and it's going to be 1-2k people turned away for the session Point is in. Likely the same to some (or even greater?) extent at St. Norbert, Geneseo, Oswego and perhaps others. How would things go in Geneseo if Oswego was also there? And quite frankly, if it happens I'd rate it somewhere between embarrassing and disgraceful.
                    I wish SNC was able to work out scheduling conflicts with the Gamblers to be able to host at the Resch Center one season. That venue would be perfect: it seats 8k for hockey, it is about 5-10 minutes from Green Bay’s mid-sized airport, and it’s across the street from Lambeau Field - a place every college athlete would be psyched to check out.

Comment

Don't have much info on this topic but I would think if the students are not around/on break attendance may be down??

Comment

I wish SNC was able to work out scheduling conflicts with the Gamblers to be able to host at the Resch Center one season. That venue would be perfect: it seats 8k for hockey, it is about 5-10 minutes from Green Bay’s mid-sized airport, and it’s across the street from Lambeau Field - a place every college athlete would be psyched to check out.
                        Resch Center does not want to bid as a neutral site from what I heard because there is no guarantee SNC would be in it.

However, as a campus site bid selection, like this year, they have put a bid in.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                          Don't have much info on this topic but I would think if the students are not around/on break attendance may be down??
                          Talking to the Geneseo folks, that is a concern. But if they can get the dorms to open early for the students to return early, that could alleviate some of it.

Plus, Geneseo has been getting great support from locals. And if Oswego were in it, their townsfolk travel well, too.
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Resch Center does not want to bid as a neutral site from what I heard because there is no guarantee SNC would be in it.

However, as a campus site bid selection, like this year, they have put a bid in.
                            Yeah, I know.

Comment

Yeah, I know.
                              But I think it has more to do than just dealing with the Gamblers schedule. The Resch Center doesn’t want to "waste" an 8,000 seat arena on a championship weekend with no local teams.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

But I think it has more to do than just dealing with the Gamblers schedule. The Resch Center doesn’t want to "waste" an 8,000 seat arena on a championship weekend with no local teams.
                                Well, it’s a combination of all the reasons mentioned here.

And regardless of why it likely won’t happen, the fact remains it would be a fantastic venue for the western region for all the reasons I stated and more.

Comment

Working...
                                X