Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

So I know it's been chewed on before but thought I'd revisit a little. The seniors are obvious, as for those going Riley and Hayhurst I see going as early departures. That leaves the field. With the four forwards that appear to be coming in, I dont think Smith can afford to cut anyone up front. Starting with DiGrande the ankle must not have been 100% or I thought he would have been in. With Ott I think he needs to be in a third line roll to kill penalties hes a proven shot blocker and has some offensive ability and be a defensive forward. He had 32 goals in his 1st season in Johnstown but I think his role would be better suited on a line such as Gornal was used. Put him with Lee and Polino. Jerry now that they got his health issue figured out, mono....who knew. He showed a knack in the offensive end and has ability to use his big frame. The one I see leaving or cut is Harris from the d core. Anyone think Burgess is gone? Cant imagine but he is Sens property. Dont know if they have any influence or interest to influence. Would be a shame to see him cut bait on Jerry and Ott but I guess we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
      So I know it's been chewed on before but thought I'd revisit a little. The seniors are obvious, as for those going Riley and Hayhurst I see going as early departures. That leaves the field. With the four forwards that appear to be coming in, I dont think Smith can afford to cut anyone up front. Starting with DiGrande the ankle must not have been 100% or I thought he would have been in. With Ott I think he needs to be in a third line roll to kill penalties hes a proven shot blocker and has some offensive ability and be a defensive forward. He had 32 goals in his 1st season in Johnstown but I think his role would be better suited on a line such as Gornal was used. Put him with Lee and Polino. Jerry now that they got his health issue figured out, mono....who knew. He showed a knack in the offensive end and has ability to use his big frame. The one I see leaving or cut is Harris from the d core. Anyone think Burgess is gone? Cant imagine but he is Sens property. Dont know if they have any influence or interest to influence. Would be a shame to see him cut bait on Jerry and Ott but I guess we will see.
      I don`t feel anyone on the team is good enough to make a living playing hockey.I do expect some departures weather they are cuts or players that have just had enough of D1 hockey and academic demands. I hope we have some guys coming in with more speed. IMO RPI was the slowest team in the league and maybe all of D1.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        AD, Seth is not coming back. If you are a fan of RPI hockey, and I know that you are. Lets get behind the new coach and see if he can deliver what we are looking for.
        If he can't, then we can complain about his successor.
        EHF, for sure I miss Seth but this is not abt him. I wish the best for Smitty. I live in the shadow of HFH and walk the track every summer night and want to see a good hockey product. Been going to games for 45 years but I echo DrD; program is at an inflection point. I don't like some of the departures. Tironese and Emil would have helped this team that lacked punch. We came in 2nd to last again to a team (SLU) that last season had a mid season investigation done on it by it's admin by a high priced NY Law Firm. Reality is reality.
        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
          I don`t feel anyone on the team is good enough to make a living playing hockey.I do expect some departures weather they are cuts or players that have just had enough of D1 hockey and academic demands. I hope we have some guys coming in with more speed. IMO RPI was the slowest team in the league and maybe all of D1.
          Reilly is righty Dman (very much in demand) who will get a look. Heavy on the puck and can shoot. Nice player.
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
            Lot of truth in this post.

Comment

Alot of talk about the coaching. Over the last 20+ years I've watched the Fridgen bashing, Appert bashing and hints of the Smith bashing. IMO it's not the coaching. I've sat back and thought about what has happened to this once prestigious program and it all starts at the top. Until there is commitment to change this losing culture, RPI will be bottom feeders for a long, long time. I for one have become a much more casual observer and until it becomes fun again, I will remain a casual observer at best. And anyone that's been a longtime fan knows where I'm coming from. It's not all about wins and losses.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk
                Alot of talk about the coaching. Over the last 20+ years I've watched the Fridgen bashing, Appert bashing and hints of the Smith bashing. IMO it's not the coaching. I've sat back and thought about what has happened to this once prestigious program and it all starts at the top. Until there is commitment to change this losing culture, RPI will be bottom feeders for a lon
                So true. It's abt Shirley; sorry EHF. She doesn't care abt this program.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                  Reilly is righty Dman (very much in demand) who will get a look. Heavy on the puck and can shoot. Nice player.
                  IMO he might get a look but if he leaves without a degree he will regret it. He is not a dominant D1 defensemen. Not ready by a long shot.

Comment

IMO he might get a look but if he leaves without a degree he will regret it. He is not a dominant D1 defensemen. Not ready by a long shot.
                    Seeing guys graduating with Bachelor's in three years the last two years. Could be the case with him; no idea. I believe he could be a second pairing in AHL; has the strength and stature.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk
                      Alot of talk about the coaching. Over the last 20+ years I've watched the Fridgen bashing, Appert bashing and hints of the Smith bashing. IMO it's not the coaching. I've sat back and thought about what has happened to this once prestigious program and it all starts at the top. Until there is commitment to change this losing culture, RPI will be bottom feeders for a lon
                      Agree completely JK. As a Clarkson fan (sorry I don't recall who) pointed out a few days ago, RPIs scenario is very similar to CCT when Casey Jones took over for George Roll. The program was on the decline and it took Jones 4-5 years to get it back on the rails.

The critical difference as JK reminds us, is leadership. Starting at the top with their President , Clarkson is fully behind its hockey program (men's and women's ). One look no further than the women's national titles, the Prez paying out of his own pocket for the CCT band to travel to a Dublin and most notably, the major renovations now underway at Cheel , which was one of the newer barns in the league. There is no more tangible sign of support and vibrancy than major dollars going directly back into the facility.

Two years ago MacElroy made the mistake of publicly pledging renovations to HFH --which he either made up off the top of his head or was scuttled by the Dictator --as we haven't heard a peep since...asinine and insulting to the fans.

It's put up or shut up time for the admin. Other than my season tickets, I will continue withholding any financial support until I see signs of life from the admin....not holding my breathe. Another long off season of discontent awaits.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

If Praps can come within a whisker of making the opening day roster in Columbus, then Reilly certainly has a shot. He is twice the skater Praps is and is FAR more decisive. Defense at the pro level is different than it was even five years ago... he fits the mold. I have no idea if he'll jump, but I know the Pens watched him a lot this year. They know all about his game.
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          When HEA broke away from the ECAC for the 84-85 season, Vermont and Army were in the league instead of QU and Union. At that time we were travel partners with UVM, Harvard and DC, Brown and Yale, and PU and Army (who only played a half schedule, once against each team, for the first 2 years). SLU and Clarkson and Colgate and Cornell were as now.

edit: Army played 11 games, once against everyone, while everyone else played 21, so it wasn't exactly half.
                          There were a couple years, at the start, where we partnered with Army. Then it was, just as it was when Union joined, Princeton/Yale, Harvard/Brown, Dartmouth/UVM, Colgate/Cornell, and CCT/SLU. Then it switched to bring us back with UVM for traveling, and the way you described.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                            If Praps can come within a whisker of making the opening day roster in Columbus, then Reilly certainly has a shot. He is twice the skater Praps is and is FAR more decisive. Defense at the pro level is different than it was even five years ago... he fits the mold. I have no idea if he'll jump, but I know the Pens watched him a lot this year. They know all about his game.
                            Praps played 26 AHL games and 11 ECHL games. Do you know if he is hurt? I hate to see guys leave for a few games in the AHL and then straight to ECHL which is common.ECHL equals low wages and long tough hours . The RPI degree long term is most often the better bet. If he already has credits to graduate or will by summers end then my point is moot. I agree that reillys game is better than praps was in college.

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                              Who are the old travel partners? You mention 2 different ones. Sorry I'm new here
                              Also is UVM entirely just speculation or just the home and home part?
                              Army were travel partners when the schism for HEA first happened, and the UVM for a few years. Then, come 1991, Union came in.

Home/home, along with Army, were purely wild guesses, and I would not put much stake there outside of what seems to be Coach Smith's tendency to want to have equal game locations for teams. Tournaments typically count as one and done because the host pays for the other three teams to come in, although it's possible that it could be part of a two year deal.

UMA and UCONN, like this past year, I would venture a guess to be home/home. WMU will more than likely be part of a two year deal, and they'll come to HFH the year after. Canisius I'm not sure which way, as they've done both home/home and two-year deal. After a few years of looking after national schedules, you get a feel for what certain teams do in terms of scheduling.

That's one thing I like about Coach Smith, in that he really cares about making sure his employer gets gate money. Appert hardly ever cared, just whatever it took to play certain high profile teams. We've yet to hear about a return visit from SCSU (probably never will), and in one of Smith's first years, had he used what Appert set up, we were supposed to have only ONE home NC game.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                                Alot of talk about the coaching. Over the last 20+ years I've watched the Fridgen bashing, Appert bashing and hints of the Smith bashing. IMO it's not the coaching. I've sat back and thought about what has happened to this once prestigious program and it all starts at the top. Until there is commitment to change this losing culture, RPI will be bottom feeders for a long, long time. I for one have become a much more casual observer and until it becomes fun again, I will remain a casual observer at best. And anyone that's been a longtime fan knows where I'm coming from. It's not all about wins and losses.
                                Unfortunately there are a number of apologists for whom you mention that seek to shout down any mention. Until we face the truth, we're not going far.

Comment

Working...
                                X