New Position For Bob Emery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Position For Bob Emery

https://merrimackathletics.com/news/2019/5/30/merrimack-hires-former-plattsburgh-state-head-coach-bob-emery-as-director-of-mens-ice-hockey.aspx

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Re: New Position For Bob Emery

The job title sounds like somebody who the head coach would report to, but I know that in reality it is a position that is a step below an assistant coach. I wonder where they came up with the title "director" for such a position.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      The job title sounds like somebody who the head coach would report to, but I know that in reality it is a position that is a step below an assistant coach. I wonder where they came up with the title "director" for such a position.
      It's a fairly common title in NCAA D1 hockey. Where I work in a corporation, Director is a fairly common title for workers beyond entry level who may not have any or only a couple of direct reports. It's equivalent to Manager but to some people it sounds better.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
        It's a fairly common title in NCAA D1 hockey. Where I work in a corporation, Director is a fairly common title for workers beyond entry level who may not have any or only a couple of direct reports. It's equivalent to Manager but to some people it sounds better.
        In other words, another example of title inflation (like Castleton calling itself a University, instead of a State College). Seems like a glorified gopher job. As I recall, these "directors" are not even allowed to interact directly with players.

Comment

In other words, another example of title inflation (like Castleton calling itself a University, instead of a State College). Seems like a glorified gopher job. As I recall, these "directors" are not even allowed to interact directly with players.
          It's not a gopher job, it's administrative duties that would normally be carried out by the coaches in a DIII setting because DIII athletic departments typically don't have the budget for an extra person. I found the posting for the Merrimack Director of Hockey Ops and this is what it laid out:

Position Overview: The Director of Hockey Operations oversees the administrative functions of the men’s hockey office and provides comprehensive support to the head and assistant coaches. This position reports directly to the head coach for men’s hockey and is responsible for assisting in all phases of the program in accordance with NCAA, Hockey East Conference and Merrimack College rules, regulations and policies.

Responsibilities:

-Serve as the main point of contact for the men’s hockey program with all members of the Athletic Department staff to ensure consistent communication.
          -Responsible for budget management and ensuring fiscal responsibility for the program.
          -Work in unison with the Head Coach to manage the “narrative” of MISSION Merrimack.
          -Coordinate program needs with the Director of Hockey Services (equipment, travel, meals).
          -Serve as video coordinator of the program with responsibilities including pre-scout videos, video used for teaching purposes, editing and organizing post game clips, and “recruiting” through video component for coaches.
          -Provide mentorship and coach development strategies to the coaching staff.
          -Participate in the planning and execution of all on-campus recruiting.
          -Serve as the primary contact for the pre-read admissions process with the designated Admissions Office liaison and Financial Aid Office liaison.
          -Manage all aspects of Gordie’s Team Camp (GTC) at Merrimack College.

It's not coaching but it's a pretty good gig for someone who already has his State of NY pension. It's the security gig cops take once they've put in their 20-25 years. It gets him connected to a D1 program in Massachusetts, and assuming he moves the family to Massachusetts with him his kids have closer proximity to higher caliber youth hockey programs if they have hockey aspirations.

Comment

Yeah, it sounds like he would be doing much of what he was already doing at Plattsburgh, minus the ice time, long trips on the bus, etc. Not a bad gig if that’s what he’s looking for at this stage of his life.
            #OneKnight

Comment

So basically he books the hotel rooms.

Comment

If anyone has kids in high level travel minor hockey, they know how demanding a schedule can be. This allows Bob to still be connected to the college game and still be able to be apart of his kids life as well. Win win situation for everyone.
                Remy Babineaux
                remyb616@gmail.com
                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

And for what it's worth, the North Andover Islanders is one of the best youth programs..in the Nation. Not sure they would make the top team, but it's a great program!
                  Remy Babineaux
                  remyb616@gmail.com
                  D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by d3hockey57 View Post
                    If I could get paid as much as he's getting paid to book hotel rooms...then sign me up ASAP
                    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by d3hockey57 View Post
                      I think you’re drastically underestimating how much the position does. There is a LOT of administrative work that goes into running a D3 program, more or less a D1 program. Sure it’s not the same rigors of being the head coach of a D3 program with late nights and missed weekends on the road recruiting, but there is still plenty of work that needs to be done that goes into running college athletic teams behind the scenes.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        I think you’re drastically underestimating how much the position does. There is a LOT of administrative work that goes into running a D3 program, more or less a D1 program. Sure it’s not the same rigors of being the head coach of a D3 program with late nights and missed weekends on the road recruiting, but there is still plenty of work that needs to be done that goes into running college athletic teams behind the scenes.
                        Got it, so he books the bus too.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                          I don't think in any way that this is a cushy job - far from it. What I am bemoaning is the constant upgrading of titles to make people and places sound more important than they are. Secretaries became administrative assistants, janitors became custodial engineers, teacher's aides became paraprofessionals, third rate colleges become universities, coordinators become directors of operations, junior high schools become middle schools, etc. etc.

What Emery is doing is an important job, but the title is more high faluutin' than the actual role.

Comment

I don't think in any way that this is a cushy job - far from it. What I am bemoaning is the constant upgrading of titles to make people and places sound more important than they are.
                            You don't give a multiple national championship winning coach, one of the winningest college coaches in history, an entry-level title. Sometimes you need to award a title befitting of the person in the role. Merrimack could have hired a twenty-something to do a similar job, paid them less, and given them a lesser title, but presumably they wanted the expertise of an accomplished coach in the role.

This is one of the job responsibilities: "-Provide mentorship and coach development strategies to the coaching staff."

Twenty-something "Hockey Ops Associate" can't do that.

The title doesn't even seem that inflated to be honest.
                            #OneKnight

Comment

teacher's aides became paraprofessionals
                              There is a huge difference between a teachers aide and a para...just sayin
                              UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                              NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                              Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Working...
                              X