Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bowling Green Hockey (From the Floor to the Final Four...back to the floor, Falcon A)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bowling Green Hockey (From the Floor to the Final Four...back to the floor, Falco

Pulled Hammond, Berkle tied it up to send it into OT. Lose in the shootout. Still, a 4 point weekend in Alaska is GOOD! Moved up from 11th to 9th, tied with MSU and NMU. One game against the Irish next Saturday, then the break. Feeling good about how this weekend went and much to build on going into the second half of the year!

GO FALCONS!!
    BEAT THE IRISH!!
    #RelentlessFalconHockey
    #NeverGiveUp
    #NeverSurrender

GO BG!!
    Falcons Forever!!

Comment

Re: Bowling Green Hockey (From the Floor to the Final Four...back to the floor, Falco

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
      The Big Ten leagues ruined all that and I don't think it was done for the good of hockey.
      As much as the Big Ten was the first domino to fall, I really can't blame them. They have an established conference with every other sport already so when there were enough teams to do hockey it is only natural that they would bring their teams back under the Big Ten umbrella. When Western hockey went off the rails is when the other WCHA teams decided to create their own league. If just WI and MN would have left the WCHA would have had 10 teams - no big deal at all, still a stable league. The CCHA would have been a bit less stable going from 11 down to 8, but they could have grabbed UAH and been at 9 or add one AH hockey team for an even number. It would have created room in several conferences for expansion. But as soon as the National was created, everyone started scrambling to grab up all the teams they could and the CCHA was lost to greed. The whole last 18 months has been pretty sad for college hockey, but I guess when you look at what D-I football is doing, it could be much worse I guess.

Ryan J
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        As much as the Big Ten was the first domino to fall, I really can't blame them. They have an established conference with every other sport already so when there were enough teams to do hockey it is only natural that they would bring their teams back under the Big Ten umbrella. When Western hockey went off the rails is when the other WCHA teams decided to create their own league. If just WI and MN would have left the WCHA would have had 10 teams - no big deal at all, still a stable league. The CCHA would have been a bit less stable going from 11 down to 8, but they could have grabbed UAH and been at 9 or add one AH hockey team for an even number. It would have created room in several conferences for expansion. But as soon as the National was created, everyone started scrambling to grab up all the teams they could and the CCHA was lost to greed. The whole last 18 months has been pretty sad for college hockey, but I guess when you look at what D-I football is doing, it could be much worse I guess.

Ryan J
        I agree with you! The formation of NACHO league really caused a crapload of the changes. I think two of those teams (MU & WMU) are REALLY going to struggle with the cost of all of that travel!! Seriously, I will be surprised if this league is around for longer than a few years, but we'll see how it all shakes out.
        #RelentlessFalconHockey
        #NeverGiveUp
        #NeverSurrender

GO BG!!
        Falcons Forever!!

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Fanatic View Post
          I agree with you! The formation of NACHO league really caused a crapload of the changes. I think two of those teams (MU & WMU) are REALLY going to struggle with the cost of all of that travel!! Seriously, I will be surprised if this league is around for longer than a few years, but we'll see how it all shakes out.
          The leauge could fall apart for any number of reasons, but to suggest that Miami and Western will leave within a few years due to travel costs is asinine. It doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to project what travel costs in the new leauge will be vis-a-vis the CCHA. If either athletic department couldn't handle those costs for the next few years, why in the world would they have made the jump? Or in Western's case activley campaigned for an invite. I've more than soured on the conference since its' inception, but this short term travel cost argument is a complete strawman that just won't die.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
            The leauge could fall apart for any number of reasons, but to suggest that Miami and Western will leave within a few years due to travel costs is asinine. It doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to project what travel costs in the new leauge will be vis-a-vis the CCHA. If either athletic department couldn't handle those costs for the next few years, why in the world would they have made the jump? Or in Western's case activley campaigned for an invite. I've more than soured on the conference since its' inception, but this short term travel cost argument is a complete strawman that just won't die.
            What Falcon Fanatic is REALLY trying to say is "We hate your disloyal, back-stabbing, preppie, scum-filled guts."
            She's just to fine a lady to say it.
            Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
              What Falcon Fanatic is REALLY trying to say is "We hate your disloyal, back-stabbing, preppie, scum-filled guts."
              She's just to fine a lady to say it.
              Well that approach has a little more merit

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                Well that approach has a little more merit
                Glad you took it in the light-hearted way it was meant.

To be perfectly honest, if anybody's going to be crippled by the travel costs from their new conference alignments, it will be us. 2x to Alaska, 3x to the UP and 2x to BFE Minnesota.
                Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Happy Holidays future conference foes -

I just wanted to throw in a post which I'm sure would be of interest to anyone associated with BGSU. I have been consigned for sale two of Ken Morrow's jerseys from his days at BGSU - one each of the white and orange styles. As one of the most well known American hockey players and his association with the 1980 Olympic team, these are some very rare items. The jerseys are $2,950 each if you are interested in investing in a peice of BGSU history, if not I am happy to share them here for you to appreciate a look back into Falcon hockey's history.

Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Awesome uni's...and in on the ice news a few weeks ago a not so pretty game losing to Notre Dame, Pens coach and BG Alum Dan Bylsma was in the BG Ice Arena scouting and sitting with the scratched BG players, coaching em up...In better news the Falcons shut out #17 Niagara tonight, Williamson, Wojtala, and Mingo are your goal scorers, Hammond with the Shutout
                    Bring Back the Glory...

1984 NCAA National Champions
                    2 members of the "Miracle on Ice" 1980 Hockey Team

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Falcons View Post
                      Awesome uni's...and in on the ice news a few weeks ago a not so pretty game losing to Notre Dame, Pens coach and BG Alum Dan Bylsma was in the BG Ice Arena scouting and sitting with the scratched BG players, coaching em up...In better news the Falcons shut out #17 Niagara tonight, Williamson, Wojtala, and Mingo are your goal scorers, Hammond with the Shutout
                      By far, the most complete game we've played in a long time. 2 PP goals against the top ranked PK, and 3 total goals against the top ranked goalie. Granted, they're in the AHA, but they're at the top of the AHA and we handled them in a very convincing manner. Not to mention the fact that they were ranked 17th at the time.
                      Last edited by BGFan; 01-02-2013, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Another good performance against the AHA this weekend with a 2-2 tie and a 3-2 win over Canisuis, good results after coming from behind in both games. BG has a quick turnaround and will take on Michigan on Tuesday night and I believe the game will be televised on the Big Ten Network.
                        Bring Back the Glory...

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Falcons View Post
                          Another good performance against the AHA this weekend with a 2-2 tie and a 3-2 win over Canisuis, good results after coming from behind in both games. BG has a quick turnaround and will take on Michigan on Tuesday night and I believe the game will be televised on the Big Ten Network.
                          Went to the games. Two bad turnovers in the defensive zone in the first game led to the tie. Much better effort in the second game. The goal by Tate was incredible.

Comment

Brandon Hawkins, 18, from Macomb, Michigan, of the NAHL's Texas Tornado has committed to BGSU, a 5' 11", 205lbs sniper, he currently leads the NAHL in goals as a rookie and was said by the Tornado manager to have upwards of a dozen offers from colleges. He said he chose BGSU based of the idea of the town of Bowling Green being a smaller town and that he felt like he fit into the community better than in a larger area.
                            Bring Back the Glory...

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Fanatic View Post
                              That is sound logic about the affect of the NCHC. Glad some people have perspective. It remains to be seen how the travel will affect Miami and WMU since their programs are on the rise (well, Miami has plateaued a little) and are generating income. I don't think it is a deal breaker. Traveling to Colorado as their western most conference point (IIRC) is not that bad.

So, we welcome the Falcons into Yost for the last time as conference foes. Good luck to your program after tonight (unless we meet in the playoffs.)

Comment

Congrats on the big win against Michigan at Yost. Looks like Bowling Green is starting to get it together now. Also you guys are no longer in the dreadful cellar of the CCHA.
                                Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 01-08-2013, 09:06 PM.
                                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Working...
                                X