Shannon Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shannon Miller

[QUOTE=Blackbeard;6625073]The article didn't say anything about the other two...Banford and the bassetball coach whose name I can't recall?

QUOTE]

Banford & Miller are .... most here don't want their weekend ruined by hearing it and my mouthwash isn't strong enough to clean my mouth out after saying it

U of MN, what can you say? the leadership of this institution ... they decided they were smart enough to handle their own legal affairs, they are the elite are they not?
    who else could possibly be more talented and smart?
    what a bunch of pompous a-h's

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      The article didn't say anything about the other two...Banford and the bassetball coach whose name I can't recall?

Were they awarded anything or are their cases yet to be heard?
      Feb 3-
      BANFORD, WILES CASES DISMISSED
      https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/0...ports-coaches/

The decision marked the end of the road for Banford and Wiles in federal court.Both submitted their resignations within six months of Miller’s non-renewal, echoing Miller’s comments about a hostile work environment and an unequal playing field for women’s sports at UMD.

Banford was informed at the time of Miller’s non-renewal that her role as hockey operations director would come to an end. University officials said that was a standard move with a change in head coaches, but that they always intended to retain Banford as softball coach.

Schiltz said he saw no evidence to the contrary, writing that Banford offered “scant” argument that she was forced from her softball position.

The judge also was skeptical of Banford’s claim that she was treated unfairly due to her gender.

Comment

City Pages-
        fairly in depth piece on Miller's case

http://www.citypages.com/news/shanno...oach/476952703

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
          City Pages-
          fairly in depth piece on Miller's case

http://www.citypages.com/news/shanno...oach/476952703
          And there it is...The sequined jacket shows up in the picture, in the article.
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Extensive look at the discrimination and gender equity issues facing women's college coaches. Much of the article is about Shannon Miller's case. And you'll be surprised to learn what she's doing today.

http://www.startribune.com/women-in-...ers/482942381/
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Extensive look at the discrimination and gender equity issues facing women's college coaches. Much of the article is about Shannon Miller's case. And you'll be surprised to learn what she's doing today.

An interesting read. From the article:

"Miller is out of sports, running a tour business in Palm Springs, Calif."

And a bit later in the atricle:

"Miller hasn't given up hope of coaching again. She has applied for women's and men's college teams, NHL teams and in college athletics administration. "Whenever someone tells you, 'Shannon, you may never coach again,' you cry," she said.

Three years ago, Miller and Banford opened Sunny Cycle, a touring business similar to the Minneapolis-based Pedal Pub. Miller takes the microphone and shares stories about Palm Springs' history, architecture and famous haunts.

One day last month, a guest rode the Sunny Cycle — Zoe Hickel, UMD's captain from Miller's final season.

"It was just weird seeing my coach in Palm Springs," Hickel said. "With all she's been through, I can't believe how strong she is.""

Comment

If she is applying at all these places and not getting hired, which she says she is, sue them based on discrimination. There are men's and women's hockey jobs available, even at a lower level, that she could take due to her love of the game. Mike Eaves ended up coaching @ St. Olaf's for heaven's sake after Wisconsin fired him with a bunch of years on his contract. Why? Because he loves the game and loves teaching the young lads about hockey and life. Miller should follow that path.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  If she is applying at all these places and not getting hired, which she says she is, sue them based on discrimination. There are men's and women's hockey jobs available, even at a lower level, that she could take due to her love of the game. Mike Eaves ended up coaching @ St. Olaf's for heaven's sake after Wisconsin fired him with a bunch of years on his contract. Why? Because he loves the game and loves teaching the young lads about hockey and life. Miller should follow that path.
                  She should apply to St. Ben's. They could use a real hockey coach after so many years without one. Their program is an embarrassment because if it.

Comment

Mike Eaves ended up coaching @ St. Olaf's for heaven's sake after Wisconsin fired him with a bunch of years on his contract. Why? Because he loves the game and loves teaching the young lads about hockey and life.
                    Also, Eaves' contract with Wisconsin required him to seek comparable employment in order for him to get his money from UW.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                      She should apply to St. Ben's.
                      I hear there is an opening at Castleton.

Comment

If she is applying at all these places and not getting hired, which she says she is, sue them based on discrimination.
                        Proving discrimination in hiring (as opposed to firing) is almost impossible, even when it happens. That's not true just for gender discrimination, but everything else. Age discrimination, for those who end up unemployed in their mid-40s or older (which I know from personal experience; it's how someone with a masters degree in accounting ends up as a security guard), is endemic, but you can't assemble the evidence to prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

Really I would have been much more surprised if she were coaching. Throughout her career at UMD I saw her be abusive to players (both hers and opponents), officials and fans. I very much doubt that her attitude and behavior didn't extend into her everyday dealings with the school. That sort of crap flies as long as you are winning but ask Woody Hayes what happens when you stop producing national champions and the school stops turning a blind eye to your behavior. Shannon Miller is not a poster child for gender discrimination.

That is not to say women are given a fair shot at coaching jobs. The good news is that the WCHA has doubled the number of women head coaches now (thats right, TWO!!). The bad news is it is only two. MN and WI have the excuse that their teams are at the top nationally every season so no change is necessary. MSU could use the excuse that Harrington's name draws recruits (but I am not sure many 16 year olds know about him) but that won't work if he does not produce at least .500 teams. BSU can claim that Scanlon has made great progress but he probably needs to break through to the NCAA tourney at least once. That leaves SCSU as not currently having a fig leaf. I expect all of those schools (even MN and WI) to feel strong pressure to hire women the next time they look and there is becoming fewer excuses not to give them the shot. I think there are some DIII women who need to be given the chance because they have proven they can produce winners at that level

One thing universities need to do now is to insure more women as assistant coaches. There are still too many guys behind the women's benches and that limits the talent pool. But really, there are not many legitimate excuses for not having many more woman head coaches in DI.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                            I think there are some DIII women who need to be given the chance because they have proven they can produce winners at that level

One thing universities need to do now is to insure more women as assistant coaches. There are still too many guys behind the women's benches and that limits the talent pool. But really, there are not many legitimate excuses for not having many more woman head coaches in DI.
                            Which D3 women are you referring to? I know several former players that tried coaching after they graduated and most of them only did it for a few years or less and then got out of it because it wasn't what they thought it would be. They got tired of the grind of coaching. It's not an easy way to live because you have to give up most of your weekends throughout the year for recruiting or for games. The amount of travelling involved isn't for everyone. How do you know if you're going to like coaching if you've never done it before at any level but then you get a job as a college coach right after you graduate? I think that's part of the problem. Former players should have to coach youth hockey first to find out if they enjoy being a coach and then work their way up to becoming a college coach after several years. Hiring of coaches at the college level needs to be based on experience and commitment to coaching and not just on being a former college hockey player.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              Which D3 women are you referring to?
                              I'm also curious as to who ne7minder is referring to because none of the perennial contenders at the DIII level (Plattsburgh, Norwich, Elmira, Middlebury, Amherst, GAC, UWRF, St. Thomas and Adrian) have a woman as their head coach. Though there are some to be found outside there like Carisa Wahlig who had a good record in 13 years at Lake Forest despite not winning the big one and was just hired by Brown.

Melissa Lomanto with what she's done at Adrian early in her career and what's she's doing now building Morrisville might fit that category of having proven she can produce winners.

Marissa O'Neal has a good win-loss percentage in 9 seasons at Bowdoin but only one NESCAC title and one other NESCAC championship game appearance in that.

Tracy Johnson has a good record in 5 seasons as Stevenson but is 5 seasons enough to say she's proven she's "proven she can produce winners"? She won the CHC but it was all new or fledgling programs with short rosters. Stevenson was in the UCHC this year which means they had to play Elmira and also played Adrian and Norwich out of conference. The scores were not close.

Lindsay Berman is in a simiar situation at UMB. Winning record winning percentage-wise but only 4 seasons in. She had led them to a conference title in that span (in 15-16 by shutting out Norwich).

Emily McNamara is over .500 as a head coach in 6 seasons at Hamilton but hasn't made the NESCAC semifinals yet even though she's gotten them to the NESCAC tourney every year but one.

Natalie Darwitz is 42-31-7 with one conference championship and an NCAA third place trophy in 3 seasons at Hamline. Hamline was very impressive in 17-18 and there's no reason to think Darwitz can't bring them to the perennial contenders list above but it's still early.

Ann Ninnemann is 189-108-35 at UW-Stevens Point with 1 NCHA conference championship and 1 NCAA third-place finish in 13 seasons. (CollegeHockeyStats shows she was a senior playing at Stevens Point in 04-05 and took over the head coaching job in 06-07. Has anyone else in NCAA WIH taken over their old team so soon? That has to be awkward coaching your former teammates...)

Those were the women DIII coaches I found with more than 2 seasons coached and an over .500 career record. I think any of them would be worth a call (as would any of the men coaching the aforementioned perennial contenders). I'm curious if you were referring to any of them or are thinking of someone I forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                                I'm also curious as to who ne7minder is referring to . . .
                                Those were the women DIII coaches I found with more than 2 seasons coached and an over .500 career record. I think any of them would be worth a call (as would any of the men coaching the aforementioned perennial contenders). I'm curious if you were referring to any of them or are thinking of someone I forgot.
                                Newman and Darwitz were the two that came to mind as I wrote that, I assumed there are others. To me the big challenge in D-I is in recruiting. I bet it takes more time from a coach than all their other tasks combined and D-III does not have the same sort of competition so it will be a crap shoot. What I look for is someone like Darwitz who could take a mediocre program & propel it to a higher level.

I should have added that there are many D-I assistant coaches who probably have earned at least a look. But I am not familiar enough with name many. Courtney Kennedy comes to mind, I know she was head coach at the HS level & a long time asst as BC. Brittni Smith has not been with Clarkson long but she was also an assistant with Canada's U18 & obviously has worked in a successful program. LeClerc at Colgate, again, not very long but I seem to remember she was a head coach in D-III with some success. I am sure there are others this is just off the top of my head. They at least deserve an interview, there are men's coaches with less of a pedigree who have been given a chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X