X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 97: ways to train a dragon

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyAddict View Post
    I'm going to the Wild game tonight against some team from Pittsburgh. I heard they have a couple of guys that are fun to watch.
    Yeah, they have that one guy, whatshisname - Crysob? Something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Yeah, they have that one guy, whatshisname - Crysob? Something like that.
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
        Today is one of those days where it's really tempting to burn bridges and quit my job.

I really want to tell someone he is an ineffective bumbling idiot when it comes to communicating. However I figure it would be inappropriate to respond to his e-mail which reads "I do not understand how you were not informed?" with "you fail at communication and life"
        Just send him a picture of the Failboat.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          So, the diagnosis is in. Sinus infection with swollen glands. Got some antibiotics. Am home and will be napping this afternoon.
          Feel better!

Cried at work today, but for a patient (vastly superior to crying at work previously). A patient with severe Crohn's disease was in for a colonoscopy. Thinking about the pain that he must be in on a daily basis made me tear up.

On the plus side, my mom gave me 2 more pieces of cast iron cookware to take back to Boston/Revere this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
            First day on new job way too much training head hurts in a good way drive by post.
            Ah, the first days in a new position.
            sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Back at school. ****ing Staties gave me an unsafe passing instead of a speeding ticket as I was trying to get around a car. He said he had me at 73 (55 zone), I dunno about that. Ya, what he gave me beats a speeding ticket, but it probably should have been a "be smart when your passing, don't try squeezing them in" warning.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                Today is one of those days where it's really tempting to burn bridges and quit my job.

I really want to tell someone he is an ineffective bumbling idiot when it comes to communicating. However I figure it would be inappropriate to respond to his e-mail which reads "I do not understand how you were not informed?" with "you fail at communication and life"
                The great philosopher Sting once lyricized:

"It takes a gentleman to suffer ignorance and smile."

Good luck wT! Those people are everywhere. In fact, I just saw a study that showed that fully half of the people on this earth are below average intelligence!
                Still anticipating the all-CCHA Frozen Four

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  Back at school. ****ing Staties gave me an unsafe passing instead of a speeding ticket as I was trying to get around a car. He said he had me at 73 (55 zone), I dunno about that. Ya, what he gave me beats a speeding ticket, but it probably should have been a "be smart when your passing, don't try squeezing them in" warning.
                  Show up in court...the cop might not.

Comment

les - thanks for the words of support. Despite the tears, I found today (and the past week) to be more rewarding than any of the work I've done since I worked for BU in the scholarship/fellowship department (we worked with students to get them Fulbright, Rhodes, and other grants). I'm very much looking forward to getting on with my schooling so I can dive right in and help patients too.

'diva -Indeed. It is pretty brutal. I saw 6 cases today, 2 incredibly severe and uncontrolled, 3 under control with oral medication and injections, and 1 new diagnosis. Careful diet and strict adherence to medicine are really the only things they can offer and even then...

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                      les - thanks for the words of support. Despite the tears, I found today (and the past week) to be more rewarding than any of the work I've done since I worked for BU in the scholarship/fellowship department (we worked with students to get them Fulbright, Rhodes, and other grants). I'm very much looking forward to getting on with my schooling so I can dive right in and help patients too.

'diva -Indeed. It is pretty brutal. I saw 6 cases today, 2 incredibly severe and uncontrolled, 3 under control with oral medication and injections, and 1 new diagnosis. Careful diet and strict adherence to medicine are really the only things they can offer and even then...
                      Diving in means learning that if you can't detach you can't help the patient. It is more like wading in gently, holding hands with the patient and feeling the bottom so you don't get over your heads.

When I first worked I used to be really upset (worked acute rehab, lots of broken bodies) but you get a mental callous. Not like you don't care but you learn to accept that you can only do the best you can and try and help to optimal function. I blew out my back about 2 yrs in. After a few weeks I got to thinking about all the broken-ness and cried for a week about all the kids that would never have a real life, folks who would never be independent again etc. Didn't think about that when I was in it. You can't. You can be compasshionate but not let the situation sink in too far.

20 yrs in, I have had a few that I took care of that were addicted that made me cry at the waste of it. One of them OD'd and I went to the wake. Lil had to wait outside (I couldn't find a babysitter). I came out and cried all over him. He just patted me and said yup alot as I went on about how this kid had died because she decided to try drugs and got sucked in.

The best you can do is realize that while you can't fix what they have, you can give the tools that let them function at the best level they can. While it is not perfection, to someone who is really suffering, even an acknowlegement of the situation and the suckiness of it can be a relief. Lots of folks don't have anyone who will listen.

:climbs off soapbox:

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post

Sometimes I walk through the VA and see some poor guy in a wheelchair with no legs. Sobering moment, indeed.

Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                          Sometimes I walk through the VA and see some poor guy in a wheelchair with no legs. Sobering moment, indeed.

Amen.
                          sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            Show up in court...the cop might not.
                            Noooooo.

Because if the cop does, I bet 1015 gets the speeding ticket added on.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

We can't thank those men and women enough.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                Diving in means learning that if you can't detach you can't help the patient. It is more like wading in gently, holding hands with the patient and feeling the bottom so you don't get over your heads.

When I first worked I used to be really upset (worked acute rehab, lots of broken bodies) but you get a mental callous. Not like you don't care but you learn to accept that you can only do the best you can and try and help to optimal function. I blew out my back about 2 yrs in. After a few weeks I got to thinking about all the broken-ness and cried for a week about all the kids that would never have a real life, folks who would never be independent again etc. Didn't think about that when I was in it. You can't. You can be compasshionate but not let the situation sink in too far.

20 yrs in, I have had a few that I took care of that were addicted that made me cry at the waste of it. One of them OD'd and I went to the wake. Lil had to wait outside (I couldn't find a babysitter). I came out and cried all over him. He just patted me and said yup alot as I went on about how this kid had died because she decided to try drugs and got sucked in.

The best you can do is realize that while you can't fix what they have, you can give the tools that let them function at the best level they can. While it is not perfection, to someone who is really suffering, even an acknowlegement of the situation and the suckiness of it can be a relief. Lots of folks don't have anyone who will listen.

:climbs off soapbox:
                                Yup - growing up with a doctor, the early lesson is: you can't fix anyone, only help those who want it/need it.

Wow - that would be sobering, I do like that though.

Comment

Working...
                                X