• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

Seems like a good fit for what they wanna do at least

Comment

You guys got a tremendous, young, coach with a great bloodline, I'm bummed that he left Colgate, in his one year there he brought in some very good recruits.

The CHN article is inaccurate, he coached Albany Academy for three years after playing at Hobart. He then recruited Wilkes first year ever D3 team to a 16-8-2 record where they were nationally ranked.
      Last edited by sshablak; 05-27-2020, 11:02 AM.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
        You guys got a tremendous, young, coach with a great bloodline, I'm bummed that he left Colgate, in his one year there he brought in some very good recruits.
        This can't be true. Nobody was interested in this job!

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post

The CHN article is inaccurate, he coached Albany Academy for three years after playing at Hobart. He then recruited Wilkes first year ever D3 team to a 16-8-2 record where they were nationally ranked.
          He turned Academy around in the NEPSAC and got them back into the large school finals within a couple of years. It's been clear for a while he has a lot of potential as a head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            This can't be true. Nobody was interested in this job!
            There are always young turks looking to get a foothold in the D1 hockey world any way they can. Billy Riley (an uncle?) took UMass Lowell from obscurity to a force to be reckoned with. See also Army hockey, where successive generations of Rileys somehow squeezed blood out of a stone (recruiting-wise) more often than not.
            Last edited by Split-N; 05-27-2020, 07:03 PM.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...od-now-july-31

So does this mean there is a dead period now for hockey as well? So this guy can't even reach out to prospective high school players until August?

Curious how many of the recruits he had going to Colgate will follow him to LI.

Comment

Originally posted by HofstraHockey View Post

So does this mean there is a dead period now for hockey as well? So this guy can't even reach out to prospective high school players until August?

Curious how many of the recruits he had going to Colgate will follow him to LI.
                I believe electronic recruiting contacts are still allowed, just no in person visits to or by the recruit. He's probably going to put together his first class via Zoom.

I will be surprised if any recruits follow him to LI as they've all signed Colgate LOIs by now. However, I suppose it's possible that there might be a player recruited with a partial ride (or even a walk-on) that would ask for a release to take a bigger scholarship at LIU - although I've yet to hear the LIU AD confirm what, if any, level of scholarships they will offer. Otherwise, why would one turn down a chance to play in an established program/league at a quality school in a beautiful facility for the complete unknown that is LIU hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by HofstraHockey View Post

So does this mean there is a dead period now for hockey as well? So this guy can't even reach out to prospective high school players until August?.
                  I think the recruiting ban is limited to in-person visits to campuses or coach-in-home visits for obvious reasons. I would be stunned if coaches were not permitted any electronic or phone contact with prospective athletes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                    There are always young turks looking to get a foothold in the D1 hockey world any way they can. Billy Riley (an uncle?) took UMass Lowell from obscurity to a force to be reckoned with. See also Army hockey, where successive generations of Rileys somehow squeezed blood out of a stone (recruiting-wise) more often than not.
                    Excellent point!

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
                      Excellent point!
                      Forgot to add that Jack Riley also coached the US to a gold medal at the 1960 Winter Olympics. An upset for the ages that almost equals the 1980 gold medal but has since faded into history.
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Elite Prospects has them down with their first recruit.. D-man from the AJHL.

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                          Elite Prospects has them down with their first recruit.. D-man from the AJHL.
                          Two more signees today

Comment

Any indication on… ya know… who or where they will play when we don’t even know when the rest of the teams plan on playing?
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              Any indication on… ya know… who or where they will play when we don’t even know when the rest of the teams plan on playing?
                              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Working...
                                X