Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

If Bowers leaves can they even field a team next season? Tap into the club team? Drop to division 3?

It's ugly...
    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
      I dont think it has anything to do with their feelings about the coaching staff and everything to do with the current state of blue chip prospects and college hockey. Odds at the beginning of the season was most of those players listed would be leaving as its standard that most blue chip prospects leave after sophomore or junior seasons nowadays as NHL pressure them since they will lose their rights after senior seasons. Farabee had a great year and with that will incentivize the Philadelphia Flyers to be able to throw out some enticements to Farabee to have him sign as well and most likely he will become a Flyer shortly since they are out of playoffs. Its a fine dance between young studs and older players to make up a roster. Similar things are happening at Michigan, ND, BC (watch Wahlstrom sign too). It has nothing to do with the coaches - players want to advance and get paid.
      100% agree. You have to sleep in the bed you made. The entire profession agreed upon this (yes, I know you "can't prevent a player from making a living") and I'm not saying it's wrong. What I AM saying is that it's very likely to ultimately ruin college sports (well, not the sports like BB that have no "real" viable minor league option). It's one thing to say (and I'm not saying "all" of them) "wink wink nod nod these are student athletes. At least you can perpetrate the narrative if they are actually IN school. But this is getting to the point where one has to question, why go to college at all? If the college is just going to be a minor league for the pros, the credibility is going to wear thin very soon one would think. College hockey will be gutted. I would seriously like to get inside the head of some of these players and ask them why they are going to COLLEGE. Just go play juniors. I think a lot of people are getting really tired of watching rosters turn over almost 100% every two years. I know I am.

Comment

**** that's certainly a shot at Albie from Cohen. Two former Terriers, you don't see that very often. Albie was not on the BU staff when Colby was there was he?

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
          The college hockey landscape has perhaps changed more in the last 6 years (Parker's final year) than in the 1990s and 2000s. With realignment and the paradigm shift to rising programs building & sustaining success via mostly older players, it'll be interesting to see how the BUs, BCs, Michigans, Wisconsins, Minnesotas, NoDaks proceed.

I, for one, see Albie shifting BU's recruiting strategy. Even though I'm not a fan of the approach some programs have taken towards getting to where they are, I think the new norm to win in college hockey is to get older. The key is to find the right balance between the high-end NHL prospects and the 4-year players who can be impact players and not just roster fillers.
          Agreed. And think about it..what choice to they have? I don't want to keep saying that I have been saying this for five years, but I have been saying this for five years. You can't win without continuity and leadership. Well, you can't have that when your best players stay one year.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
            Agreed. And think about it..what choice to they have? I don't want to keep saying that I have been saying this for five years, but I have been saying this for five years. You can't win without continuity and leadership. Well, you can't have that when your best players stay one year.
            I would say what Colby Cohen shares has way more significance than any of this babble this isn’t about blue chippers leaving early

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
              The college hockey landscape has perhaps changed more in the last 6 years (Parker's final year) than in the 1990s and 2000s. With realignment and the paradigm shift to rising programs building & sustaining success via mostly older players, it'll be interesting to see how the BUs, BCs, Michigans, Wisconsins, Minnesotas, NoDaks proceed.

I, for one, see Albie shifting BU's recruiting strategy. Even though I'm not a fan of the approach some programs have taken towards getting to where they are, I think the new norm to win in college hockey is to get older. The key is to find the right balance between the high-end NHL prospects and the 4-year players who can be impact players and not just roster fillers.
              Exactly. Its a fine dance of finding "Good Players" that will be good but not good enough to leave the school early. Supplement them with guys that will stay 1 or 2 seasons. UMass resurgence is large in part to Makar bucking the trend and staying an extra season - that was lucky. NU has Davies who is 22 years old and is a junior along with Primeau. BC got hammered when their senior class left a few years ago and they still havent recovered. Of all schools I would say Providence has the blueprint to copy. Older guys, mix in some young guys but those guys who arent good enough to leave early every season.

Comment

If you're a BU hockey fan, whatever you do, don't look at the roster of returning forwards. It will make you cry.

I've just lowered by over/under to 9.5.

It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                  Of all schools I would say Providence has the blueprint to copy. Older guys, mix in some young guys but those guys who aren't good enough to leave early every season.
                  Yeah. And who wants to watch that? I guess if you have insomnia it's good. What's great about watching BU, BC, NU etc is that they have high-end talent that produces an exciting game (even if they don't stay). It's a two-edged sword. You won't win the whole thing more that a handful of times, but the "dynasty" days are over anyway. If I'm going to watch a team who finishes 16th in the PWR every year and wins every game 2-1 as opposed to an exciting team who plays a flashy, wide open style but only wins everything once every 15 years, I'll take the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
                    I would say what Colby Cohen shares has way more significance than any of this babble this isn’t about blue chippers leaving early
                    I dont take one guys comments and think its fact. Did this BU team really get outcoached? Did BC get outcoached all season with York being behind the bench? It comes down to TALENT on the ice and BU has young talent but thats different from proven veteran talent that wins. Farabee had no issue putting up points. If Bobo was healthy I think BU wins the Beanpot and if Farabee was healthy I think BU at least gets by NU and is in the Hockey East Championship game. Parody is at an all time high and some players didnt produce and some were injured so its tough to put blame on someone. I dont think BU was outcoached this season but I think they were outplayed on some nights due to player effort.

Comment

I wish Agganis still posted here so he could try and explain how BU ended up in this position. The super recruiting of David Quinn has apparently turned out to be a negative in the long run.

Comment

Players leaving to further develop in the AHL is absolutely a product of the perception of the coaching staff. I'd be very surprised if there isn't at least some turnaround at the assistant level this offseason.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

As of right now you're returning three of your top four forwards and five of your top seven. Adding a top 15 and maybe 10 pick plus two good USHL scorers.

You'll be fine at forward. Can't speak to the other positions.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            Yeah. And who wants to watch that? I guess if you have insomnia it's good. What's great about watching BU, BC, NU etc is that they have high-end talent that produces an exciting game (even if they don't stay). It's a two-edged sword. You won't win the whole thing more that a handful of times, but the "dynasty" days are over anyway. If I'm going to watch a team who finishes 16th in the PWR every year and wins every game 2-1 as opposed to an exciting team who plays a flashy, wide open style but only wins everything once every 15 years, I'll take the latter.
                            Absolutely. It was certainly an awesome season when Jack Eichel was here....you are either going to watch young future NHL players or older good college hockey players....I rather pay and watch the young studs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              I wish Agganis still posted here so he could try and explain how BU ended up in this position. The super recruiting of David Quinn has apparently turned out to be a negative in the long run.
                              It was always going to be high risk/high reward. Thought you'd get at least one title out of it. Think you might still have three first rounders next year so you'd still be in the same realm you have been.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                                Players leaving to further develop in the AHL is absolutely a product of the perception of the coaching staff. I'd be very surprised if there isn't at least some turnaround at the assistant level this offseason.
                                I think thats a weak excuse. Farabee did fine. These high end players see college as a stepping stone and nothing more. A necessary evil before they get paid. Players want to sign that ELC as soon as possible so they start eating into that 3 year contract so they can become millionaires. If a NHL team wants you early and then most kids jump at it so the clock to getting that huge payday starts earlier. Its a selfish sport at this level...of course they want to win as a team but its more like 24 individuals playing with the same jersey until the next nicer jersey comes along.

Comment

Working...
                                X