Providence Friars '18-19 Season Thread - Big Things In Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence Friars '18-19 Season Thread - Big Things In Store

One positive takeaway from the awful games this weekend is we improved in PWR from game's end to the night's end, up from 13 to 11, looks like with Notre Dame losing a second consecutive night also.

Comment

• Originally posted by palmettofriar View Post
      Ugly and underperforming why?
      Imho,
      Friars are not playing with Leaman's customary team defense, the BC and BU forwards were allowed too much time and space to make plays,
      Power play underperforming by fiddling and diddling on the perimeter too much, power play seems to lack someone to take make hard slappers and one-timers on net from the point, both game winning 3rd period game winning goals were preventable, goalie has to make big time saves to win these type of games.
      I can comment on Cockerill’s winner as that was a great shot into the corner of the net. The defense gave up the blue line easily and Cockerill had a clean shot to the upper corner. I don’t think many goalies in the world stop that shot.

The power play since Nate came here has been pound it away from the point and hope you get a deflection or the goalie doesn’t see it.

How is this season not a disappointment? Hockey East is at best the third conference this season and is winnable.
      Last edited by The Zlax45; 01-13-2019, 06:48 PM.
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Friars better right the ship quickly or they will be on the road for opening HE playoffs...they are as close to the bottom 4 playoff spots as the top 4 now...they have 3 good PWR games left 2 with NU and 1 with UMass...

Don't usually agree with much of Zlax commentary but this has been a disappointing season to this point. Granted most of if not all of the losses have been close games. Lots of games on the road but fact is they cannot afford to lose home league games like what happened with UMass and BU.

6 away and 8 home games left in league play plus the Brown game at Meehan tomorrow. Will see what this team is truly made off over the next few weeks. Could they be heading in the same direction as the bball team is or will they step up and show they deserve to be ranked as one of the better teams in HE and in college hockey. Need better play from the goalie on up or it will be a long month and a half.

Comment

What weirded me out at the beginning of the season was all the people who thought PC was a solid bet for the Frozen Four, right after losing Foley and Pinho. Two of our better recruits left immediately and a third was injured a lot in the first half of the season...

I don't care about the Hockey East regular season as much now that I know that BC is going to win the conference again, somehow. Maybe UMASS's bus will get lost and end up in Uzbekistan?

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon View Post
            What weirded me out at the beginning of the season was all the people who thought PC was a solid bet for the Frozen Four, right after losing Foley and Pinho. Two of our better recruits left immediately and a third was injured a lot in the first half of the season...

I don't care about the Hockey East regular season as much now that I know that BC is going to win the conference again, somehow. Maybe UMASS's bus will get lost and end up in Uzbekistan?
            Leaman returned one of the top two goalies in the conference, his entire top six forwards, (you can say Pinho and Foley were top six but the guys on the top six now all are upper echelon forwards who played quality minutes during their first couple of seasons.)

Nate then has an All-American defenseman that returned in Jacob Bryson who honestly is the most overrated player on the team. They also have a senior defenseman in Desharnais who is Myles Harvey part 2.

The only freshman that has played better than expected is Callahan. I don’t want to hear excuses on O’Brien being injured the kid has not been an elite player. Shane Bowers showed everyone what an elite first rounder was on Saturday night with his two goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post

Right. Same impression I had of the team. I didn't know what we had in Dugan, O'Brien, Callahan and the other incoming freshmen. Dugan has impressed me but he's also old enough to be a junior in the program. O'Brien doesn't surprise me either. Injury aside we're (probably) looking at another player developing the same way Jankowski did. Disappointed the two players that left did, but suppose it's better they left at the start and integrate in the new players to replace them and see what you have. It feels like Hawkey has taken a step back even though the numbers may not really reflect it. It's a combination of a lot of things that has them looking more like a 3 seed for the regional than a potential #1. Hopefully they use tonight's game as getting back to the simple things and being more responsible defensively. The giveaways and terrible power play stuff is just too repetitive to be comfortable with them going far right now.

Comment

They need Hawkey to make the key saves when they come and not let in any soft goals....last two games seems like defense had too many breakdowns...and stay out of the penalty box...like Friars when 5 on 5 although cav will say the PP is not all that bad, but giving up shortys this year has been a killer for them...

This is a big game tonight and it will be in a hostile arena with a team anxious to prove they can beat PC after losing a close one in the Ledyard tourney. Brown will not be intimidated and they are sure to have a decent crowd in the stands I would think.

One game at a time has to be the mantra

Comment

Originally posted by 73PCFriar View Post
                  They need Hawkey to make the key saves when they come and not let in any soft goals....last two games seems like defense had too many breakdowns...and stay out of the penalty box...like Friars when 5 on 5 although cav will say the PP is not all that bad, but giving up shortys this year has been a killer for them...

This is a big game tonight and it will be in a hostile arena with a team anxious to prove they can beat PC after losing a close one in the Ledyard tourney. Brown will not be intimidated and they are sure to have a decent crowd in the stands I would think.

One game at a time has to be the mantra
                  Again, which goal on Saturday was Hawkey supposed to make a save on? Bowers backhander into the corner? Cockerill's snipe which by the way Marchand did to Price on Monday evening too.

Comment

For those not venturing on over to the Brown IceBox I noticed on Twitter, PC lists the game as being on NESN and this is correct.

Comment

PC up 4-0 over Bruno. ANGRY PC is a fun PC

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                      -Blackadder
                      -Casablanca
                      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

They are very fun when angry. Best of all, no stupid penalties for Vimal to commit tonight.

Comment

5-0, PC. Could have been 6-0

-Blackadder
                          -Casablanca
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Originally posted by 3100IRL View Post
                            They are very fun when angry. Best of all, no stupid penalties for Vimal to commit tonight.
                            Instead, a bad Duhaime penalty. Progress?

-Blackadder
                            -Casablanca
                            -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Only Brown goal belongs to Future Friar Max Crozier Big Brother
                              Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Interesting lineup with the seniors all in for this one plus Kavanaugh.

Vimal and McDermott sitting out. Not surprised about Vimal after that bad late game penalty he got Saturday (although I still don't feel it warranted a 5 min.)

4-0 in a blink of an eye ....first 8 mins.

Now can they take this into Kelly Rink on Saturday....and going forward...

Comment

Working...
                                X