Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Harvard gets a couple of D commits today.

Ryan Siedem (formerly committed to BC) will come to Harvard in 2019

Kyle Aucoin from the Chicago Mission will come to Harvard in 2020.

Comment

http://collegehockeyinc.com/ncaa-pla...-nhl-draft.php

Harvard with 4 recruits on NHL CSS Scouting players to watch rankings:
      A - 1st round
      B - 2nd or 3rd Round
      C - Later Rounds

Marshall Warren - B
      John Farinacci - B
      Henry Thrun - C
      Derek Mullahy - C

For context:
      Brown - 3
      Clarkson - 3
      St. Lawrence - 1
      Colgate - 1
      BC - 8
      BU - 8

Comment

Just popping in to advertise the ECAC Pick the Standings contest again. It's a super simple game that takes like 1 minute of thought to play. Entrance is allowed through the first ECAC matches at the end of the month, but feel free to make a guess now and revise later. Thanks!
        RPI Pep Band
        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Plugging the ECAC Pick the Standings contest again. All you have to do is guess what the final standings will be! Entries close in a couple weeks when the puck drops on the conference slate. Thanks!
          RPI Pep Band
          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Probably the second-to-last time that I'll spam the ECAC Pick the Standings contest. Only one week remains until the first ECAC contest of the season, so get your picks (or revisions) in soon!
            RPI Pep Band
            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Well, they lost to the US National Development Team 6-3 but I did not find it too discouraging.

Harvard was clearly a bit rusty as they have not played a game since last Spring. The USNDT have played 18 games since the beginning of September.
              First period the Crimson did not look good and scored nothing. Second period they scored one goal and third period they scored two. You could see the improvement as the game progressed. Harvard got two goals from Adam Fox plus a goal by Baker Shore on a nice assist from Jack Donato. Despite the USNDT getting 4 goals in the second period the Crimson defense did not give up and gave up only one goal in the third. It appears that the rust was wearing off of Harvard's game.

I do hope we get a better crowd for future games. Bright-Landry seems to be colder than ever. I have to remember an extra sweater for next time.

We no longer have Boynton Lounge to warm up in before the game and between periods. For years season ticket holders could pay for membership in the old Blue Line Club and later the new, nicely furnished Boynton Lounge. A place to warm up, meet friends and during the Boynton Lounge years get a bite to eat. I called the athletic department and asked why and was told that it cost too much to run and membership had fallen. Part of the reason may be that the food provided by the new caterer was truly appalling.
              I never ate the food there anyway. I never got wine or beer. I would prefer something like the old Blue Line room with coffee, hot chocolate and a couple of bowls of pretzels and peanuts. I suspect that the athletic department is too focused on basketball to think about hockey fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                Well, they lost to the US National Development Team 6-3 but I did not find it too discouraging.

Harvard was clearly a bit rusty as they have not played a game since last Spring. The USNDT have played 18 games since the beginning of September.
                First period the Crimson did not look good and scored nothing. Second period they scored one goal and third period they scored two. You could see the improvement as the game progressed. Harvard got two goals from Adam Fox plus a goal by Baker Shore on a nice assist from Jack Donato. Despite the USNDT getting 4 goals in the second period the Crimson defense did not give up and gave up only one goal in the third. It appears that the rust was wearing off of Harvard's game.

I do hope we get a better crowd for future games. Bright-Landry seems to be colder than ever. I have to remember an extra sweater for next time.

We no longer have Boynton Lounge to warm up in before the game and between periods. For years season ticket holders could pay for membership in the old Blue Line Club and later the new, nicely furnished Boynton Lounge. A place to warm up, meet friends and during the Boynton Lounge years get a bite to eat. I called the athletic department and asked why and was told that it cost too much to run and membership had fallen. Part of the reason may be that the food provided by the new caterer was truly appalling.
                I never ate the food there anyway. I never got wine or beer. I would prefer something like the old Blue Line room with coffee, hot chocolate and a couple of bowls of pretzels and peanuts. I suspect that the athletic department is too focused on basketball to think about hockey fans.
                I thought the freshmen looked very good and think the offense should be more evenly distributed than last season. Shots were 28-28, but USA blocked a lot of shots, so we actually had a lot more shot attempts.
                Defense made some bad turnovers which led to goals. Goaltending could have been a little better the first couple periods - would have liked to have seen one or two more saves made. USA's goalie was off the charts.

Team just needs to work on a couple things and they will be good to go this season.

Comment

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...preview-18-19/

Comment

In 24 hours, the first matches of the conference schedule will be over and you will no longer be able to enter the ECAC Pick the Standings contest (or change your picks if you already entered). It takes very little time to enter, so head on over to the thread and make your pick!
                    RPI Pep Band
                    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Okay so at least we know the power play will be awesome this year. Other than that?? Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                        Okay so at least we know the power play will be awesome this year. Other than that?? Yikes!
                        Hey Donato,

On a 4x3 against with 11 secs to kill, you may want to have your best face off guy on the ice?? Why Floodstrand takes that face off (and not Drury) is beyond me.

Also, why Lackey completed the 3rd was also beyond me.

Really like this team, but coaching required this year.
                        Last edited by bothman; 10-27-2018, 11:11 PM.

Comment

The team looks very good. But that game was agonizing to watch. I think they will have a good season

Comment

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
                            The team looks very good. But that game was agonizing to watch. I think they will have a good season
                            100% agreed not because of the outcome but because of the lack of flow. If you weren't on the PP/PK units you probably needed to re-stretch to keep the muscles loose. Refs determined very early ticky tack penalties were going to be called on both ends.

And yes you guys will be alright! You guys did what you wanted on your PP and the BIG Green just kept feeding into it. I think we will all agree the the goal tending was less than stellar on both sides! I was thinking how can the BIG Green stop/contain it. It starts and ends with Fox, again I will it his poise, skill, and decision-making is off the charts! However, I do feel bad for him on the last play to end the game.

Comment

Takes from last night:
                              - Harvard looked really, really good. It might be tough to say that after giving up 7 goals, but they were great. PP was lethal, the speed was there, they dominated the face off dot. I think this is going to be a fun and deep team to watch all season
                              - Gornet has to start next weekend. Lackey did not make a big save all night. The margin for error is less for this Harvard team and with Lackey, they have a goalie who has given up 12 goals in 5+ periods. That is not acceptable.
                              - I thought Teddy could have coached better last night. As I mentioned earlier, Harvard was killing a 4v3, had 12 seconds to kill on a defensive zone face off, and you have Floodstrand take the draw? Makes no sense not to have Badini or Drury (best faceoff guys) take that face off, win it, dump the puck back down and come out for a change. Given Harvard's lower margin for error, coaching smart through these situations will be critical for success
                              - You can't have your two captains (Gossage and Floodstrand) take dumb penalties 200 feet from your own net. Again, unacceptable.
                              - Needless to say, Harvard needs to work on the PK

I thought the frosh (Rathbone, Dornbach, Drury, Shore) all looked really good out there. This is going to be a very fun group to watch over these next few years.
                              Last edited by bothman; 10-28-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                                Takes from last night:
                                - Harvard looked really, really good. It might be tough to say that after giving up 7 goals, but they were great. PP was lethal, the speed was there, they dominated the face off dot. I think this is going to be a fun and deep team to watch all season
                                - Gornet has to start next weekend. Lackey did not make a big save all night. The margin for error is less for this Harvard team and with Lackey, they have a goalie who has given up 12 goals in 5+ periods. That is not acceptable.
                                - I thought Teddy could have coached better last night. As I mentioned earlier, Harvard was killing a 4v3, had 12 seconds to kill on a defensive zone face off, and you have Floodstrand take the draw? Makes no sense not to have Badini or Drury (best faceoff guys) take that face off, win it, dump the puck back down and come out for a change. Given Harvard's lower margin for error, coaching smart through these situations will be critical for success
                                - You can't have your two captains (Gossage and Floodstrand) take dumb penalties 200 feet from your own net. Again, unacceptable.
                                - Needless to say, Harvard needs to work on the PK

I thought the frosh (Rathbone, Dornbach, Drury, Shore) all looked really good out there. This is going to be a very fun group to watch over these next few years.
                                This is where we are going to miss Paul Pearl. I doubt he would have let Teddy have Floodstrand take that faceoff. Maybe I'm reaching but when Pearl came on the scene, the team seemed to gain structure and discipline for the most part. Teddy just doesn't seem to have that understanding of game situations which is odd because of his experience playing in multiple situations as a pro.

Comment

Working...
                                X