Ak/uaa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Liveatjrl View Post
    I'm sure someone did this and mentioned it at one point but my understanding is that:

PSU would need 2 games if UAF is cut
    Maine would need 2 games if UAA is cut
    ASU, Maine, PSU would need 2 games if both are cut
    Denver and Omaha are okay in all scenarios

WCHA Alaska Exemptions taken out means:
    UAF cut means all WCHA teams are okay
    UAA cut means all WCHA teams are okay except Lake Superior would have 2 extra games
    UAF AND UAA cut means UAH, Bemidji State, Bowling Green are fine
    Ferris would have 1 extra game
    Lake Superior would have 4 extra games
    Mich Tech, Minn State, Northern Mich would have 2 extra games each

By extra games I mean they no longer have the Alaska exemption so would they get a free pass or have to drop those extra OOC games?
    If both Alaska teams are cut, Northern Michigan would only have 30 games left on the schedule. They would have the ability to add 4 games.

To me, it seems possible that the WCHA would move to a 24 game conference sechedule to keep it balanced, or possibly 26 to get a max amount of games if they lose both Alaskas and the exemptions.
    Last edited by davyd83; 07-27-2019, 07:34 AM.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Ak/uaa

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      If both Alaska teams are cut, Northern Michigan would only have 30 games left on the schedule. They would have the ability to add 4 games.

To me, it seems possible that the WCHA would move to a 24 game conference sechedule to keep it balanced, or possibly 26 to get a max amount of games if they lose both Alaskas and the exemptions.
      I was operating under the impression that all wcha teams would still get their 28 conf games no matter what happens. This is all based on out of conference games and exemptions available.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        Here is the latest ADN article on the budget:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/educ...laska-funding/

I don't understand what the Governor is trying to pull now.

It's not up to Dunleavy's administration to determine how the University spends their allocated money. This is the job of the Regents!! Ack!!!
        It's long been a dream of the right to get rid of liberal arts in public universities and turn them into essentially DeVry like trade schools for corporations. I'm guessing that humanities and social sciences are going to be devastated.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post

It's my assumption the WCHA has already worked out such a schedule but will keep it private until the Alaska teams fold. In that event, Denver, PSU and Maine will have the opportunity to schedule the other WCHA teams that are below the limit. I believe that will be NMU, Ferris State and Huntsville. I'm doing this from memory so I might be wrong.

Denver/NMU, Ferris/PSU and Maine/UAH makes the most sense. I would not be surprised if the schools have already worked out such arrangements just in case.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            It's my assumption the WCHA has already worked out such a schedule but will keep it private until the Alaska teams fold. In that event, Denver, PSU and Maine will have the opportunity to schedule the other WCHA teams that are below the limit. I believe that will be NMU, Ferris State and Huntsville. I'm doing this from memory so I might be wrong.

Denver/NMU, Ferris/PSU and Maine/UAH makes the most sense. I would not be surprised if the schools have already worked out such arrangements just in case.
            Huntsville is at Omaha the weekend Anchorage would be at Maine. On the Alaska/Penn State Weekend, Ferris is at Miami.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Huntsville is at Omaha the weekend Anchorage would be at Maine. On the Alaska/Penn State Weekend, Ferris is at Miami.
              Right, but if the WCHA does a new schedule there will be new dates available. Maine and UAH, for example, could play at a different time. Perhaps before holiday break. Or the schools can eat the loss on their schedule, which won't be ideal...

Comment

You all do realize that travel plans and contracts for said travel...are already done?

Not saying that changing the schedule at this late stage can't be done, but it can't be done!
                Last edited by beaverhockey; 07-27-2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockey View Post
                  You all do realize that tracel plans and contracts for said travel...are already done!

Not saying that changing the schexule at this late stage can't be done, but it can't be done!
                  Do you think Lake Superior State will still fly to Anchorage for a weekend because travel has already been contracted?

It CAN be done. Contracts are broken all the time. It will just cost money. Some schools may decide the expense of canceling AND booking new travel plans will be unaffordable.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                    Chancellor White’s comments on UAF athletics.

https://news.uaf.edu/friday-focus-wh...letics-can-do/
                    Colorado College was never in the CCHA, but that's OK. Is wasn't the Germans who bombed Pearl Harbor either.

Like Bluto before him, when Chancellor White is rolling, you let him go. Go Chancellor!

All kidding aside, the Chancellor's comment is pretty good. The one little hiccup doesn't spoil it...

Comment

Of course contracts are broken all the time...I'm just syaing that the league won't be reworking the entire conference schedule since 95% (give or take) of the schedule is unaffected by whatever happens in Alaska.

Also, those involved in the process in Alaksa have said it may be September before they have final answers to these questions.

Comment

Right, but if the WCHA does a new schedule there will be new dates available. Maine and UAH, for example, could play at a different time. Perhaps before holiday break. Or the schools can eat the loss on their schedule, which won't be ideal...
                        The WCHA would likely do as little shifting as possible with games already on the schedule. Teams have flights booked to Huntsville. Huntsville will have a flight or two north. Non-conference games are locked in.

Comment

The WCHA would likely do as little shifting as possible with games already on the schedule. Teams have flights booked to Huntsville. Huntsville will have a flight or two north. Non-conference games are locked in.
                          The WCHA will have to do something or there are going to be major gaps in the schedule. As it stands now, Mankato will go three weeks in November without a game. Likewise for Huntsville in January. Bemidji will be off most of February. Ferris State will be a month in November/December and Lake Superior will go from 23 November to 7 February with only the Catamount Cup games. The Lakers will go all of December, January and half of February without a home game. Maybe move the MTU/NMU/LSSU, BGSU/FSU and MSUM/BSU series to create dates for non-conference games and plug some of those gaps. I understand it's not going to be easy, nor ideal, but will schools prefer all those open dates instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            Here is the latest ADN article on the budget:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/educ...laska-funding/

I don't understand what the Governor is trying to pull now.
                            Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
                            It's long been a dream of the right to get rid of liberal arts in public universities and turn them into essentially DeVry like trade schools for corporations. I'm guessing that humanities and social sciences are going to be devastated.
                            That may be what he is trying to do but the line that caught my attention was:

The document also says: “Restoration of $38mm into FY2020 budget requires reductions to be confined to identified categories, i.e., overhead reductions may not be taken from non-research academic programs.”
                            I read in several articles that UA is a leader in climate research and the cuts could adversely impact that. The above statement makes me think the governor may be trying to kill that research completely. He already abolished the state's climate-change commission, so this would seem to be another of his targets.

Sean
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

The WCHA will have to do something or there are going to be major gaps in the schedule. As it stands now, Mankato will go three weeks in November without a game. Likewise for Huntsville in January. Bemidji will be off most of February. Ferris State will be a month in November/December and Lake Superior will go from 23 November to 7 February with only the Catamount Cup games. The Lakers will go all of December, January and half of February without a home game. Maybe move the MTU/NMU/LSSU, BGSU/FSU and MSUM/BSU series to create dates for non-conference games and plug some of those gaps. I understand it's not going to be easy, nor ideal, but will schools prefer all those open dates instead?
                              The schedule I’m looking at shows Mankato with 4 November series, Bowling Green, at Tech, Bye, Anchorage, at UMD. The weekend of UAA at MSt, Ferris is at UAF. Easy fix. Ferris at MSt that weekend. It works because Ferris at Mankato only meet one other time at Ferris in January. There are several like this across the schedule. The biggest question being how many conference games will by played and will the Alaska exemptions be allowed IF neither Alaska plays.

Comment

The schedule I’m looking at shows Mankato with 4 November series, Bowling Green, at Tech, Bye, Anchorage, at UMD. The weekend of UAA at MSt, Ferris is at UAF. Easy fix. Ferris at MSt that weekend. It works because Ferris at Mankato only meet one other time at Ferris in January. There are several like this across the schedule. The biggest question being how many conference games will by played and will the Alaska exemptions be allowed IF neither Alaska plays.
                                Mankato plays MTU 8-9 November and UMD 29-30 November. 20 days between games in November? That's quite a gap.

I assume the league and the schools have made arrangements, but as you say, the key will be what the NCAA decides. I would like to think the NCAA has considered this, but it IS the NCAA after all. I don't know that it will deal with hypotheticals until reality hits, and by then there won't be much (any?) time for it to act. It's going to be a mess.

Meanwhile the people from Alaska are thinking, "There's bigger fish to fry than a ****ing hockey schedule."

Comment

Working...
                                X