This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: COVID-19 - Part 2

It is unconscionable that the Democrats are holding up a bill to help the American people with a wish list of unrelated things. Quotas for race and gender on corporate boards. Really!?!?!? Left wing lunacy!!
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      It is unconscionable that the Democrats are holding up a bill to help the American people with a wish list of unrelated things. Quotas for race and gender on corporate boards. Really!?!?!? Left wing lunacy!!
      Left wing lunacy is needed to offset right wing lunacy.
      $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
      Just win.....

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
        The briefings are getting loooong. And later in the day. And BE ON TIME. Not showing up on time is always a bad look when trying to make a good impression. Beyond that and and moments of the the typical BS (Z-pack) and obligatory robotic blow hard bluster, it wasn't bad. Good actually and entertaining which bodes well for the President. Barr was solid. The military logistics guy isn't paid to be a public speaker, but left a good impression. He may not be a great public speaker, but he knows his job and his job is getting stuff. The President completely changed his tune on Asia and China. He didn't say "Chinese Virus". Not once. When asked why, he was firm in stating that he won't tolerate aggression against Asian Americans. Good for him. Let's see if he can keep it up. His track record says not.

We may be done with Dr. Fauci unless the Twittter-sphere is on fire. Dr. Birx? Wow. She's sick (not Covid-19) and tired, medicated or both. She seemed high, in a good way. She and the President had a fun, light rapport. Perhaps when this calms down they will take their show on the road. Or not. As she was speaking towards the end, the President ushered everyone else off the stage and back to work. To this point, her exchanges with the President had been light, friendly, casual, almost playful. I got the sense that she realized, "OMG, I am on the stage ALONE with this man!" as she eased into her more professional character.

The President (((may))) have figured out that he can keep his base happy (borders closed, thinking of opening the US for business) while using hints of reality and compassion to increase his support. He's showing signs of understanding that it is OK to not have all the answers and that we will know more in a week. He's moving closer to prime time and with no sports on TV has a platform that could mean BIG trouble for Biden/(obligatory Bernie?) who has been correctly silent during the crisis.
        Do let us know how his town hall goes today on Fox...
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Do let us know how his town hall goes today on Fox...
          Really? Thanks.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Since it's a hockey forum, thought I'd post the following from Facebook that was written by the coach of a girls junior team in North Carolina (a friend's daughter plays for him).

So I am going all hockey coach on covid-19 here, indulge me.

Team, we just finished the first period of this battle and we are getting our asses handed to us. Score wise, we already have more positive cases per-capita than China and we had a two-month head start, let that sink in for a second.

Offensively (government and public) our first line (federal gov’t) got worked, you weren’t prepared and didn’t take it serious enough (lack of tests) and your effort was garbage to start off. You’ve got it in you, just dig in and find it, your last couple of shifts were better, now build off it. Hey captain stop saying stupid **** to the refs and be a leader.

Second line (state governments) some of you are giving it all you've got (NY and Ohio) but some of you are mailing it in (Florida, looking at you and your beaches). All of you need to get your heads out your *** and get on the same page. Third line (supply chain, essential workers), you are our grind line, we got a lot to left to play the next two periods, be prepared and keep your head on a swivel. Fourth line (rest of the American public), you just don’t get it for the most part, the rookies on the fourth line hitting Spring Break like scenes out of a 1980s frat movie. You are benched, you are out of this game, just sit down (on your couch at home) and support everyone who must win this one for us and if you do take a shift, don’t do anything stupid, get your essential goods (medicine and groceries) and get off the ice.

Defensively and goalies (healthcare workers and scientists) you didn’t get much help out there from the forwards. You got creative getting the puck out (developing your own tests), you haven’t panicked, and you are laying out blocking shots (risking your own infection) and putting it all on the line. If it wasn’t for you, this one would be over early. You’ve given us a chance to win this one…

And win it we will, we know our roles, each one of us all, now go and execute, you are better than what you just showed that first period, 330 million of us united and Covid-19 doesn't stand a chance. Let’s have at it and bury this virus!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
              Left wing lunacy is needed to offset right wing lunacy.
              Sorry..I dont pretend to know what the entire hold up is about but I am not comfortable with that giant slush fund put together by Mitch...Trump and Steve M will over see that? Where will that money go?

But what's really unconscionable is the fact that Trump in 2018 disbanded the NSC pandemic response team that might have been on this disaster. Then he says he didnt remember anything about doing that in one of his early C-19 pressers (there's video of him announcing that but..) No matter..he was briefed in all of this nightmare "wish they would have told us".

Whatever. The world is a crazy place..going to get even crazier if we ignore the advice of science. Over 60? Better have your ducks in a row. Sorry I am very nervous about this knowing that we are in no way out of the woods.

Darius I thought Dr.B was very uncomfortable yesterday. How is she going to say shes totally fine easing up on restrictions when she surely must know that's a dangerous idea? Will be interesting to hear her take when this is re visited next week.

Welp off to my remote learning classes. Be well.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Darius I thought Dr.B was very uncomfortable yesterday. How is she going to say shes totally fine easing up on restrictions when she surely must know that's a dangerous idea? Will be interesting to hear her take when this is re visited next week.
                She will go back to the data, say that is what the President has asked her for. It is for others to provide the President with other, such as economic, advice and for the President to factor it all in to his decisions.

Comment

Just wanted to expand on a couple of points from our media reporter Darius on yesterday's do ...

The briefings are getting loooong. And later in the day. And BE ON TIME. Not showing up on time is always a bad look when trying to make a good impression. Beyond that and and moments of the the typical BS (Z-pack) and obligatory robotic blow hard bluster, it wasn't bad. Good actually and entertaining which bodes well for the President. Barr was solid. The military logistics guy isn't paid to be a public speaker, but left a good impression. He may not be a great public speaker, but he knows his job and his job is getting stuff. The President completely changed his tune on Asia and China. He didn't say "Chinese Virus". Not once. When asked why, he was firm in stating that he won't tolerate aggression against Asian Americans. Good for him. Let's see if he can keep it up. His track record says not.
                  My wife tells me Governor Sununu is having the same issue with timeliness. At this point, in what I think all of us will concede is a very fluid situation, it may be as simple as these guys are just flat-out working on a wide range of things, and these briefings are loose recaps of the day's activities. The regular rules have been suspended, so I don't see why we'd expect the President or the Governor to be immune. Frankly, if it was more rehearsed, I'd wonder if he was actually working.

On the China thing … I don't think that's "changing his tune" (although I'm happy you're happy) … is it really that hard to make a differentiation between native Chinese and (especially) their totalitarian regime in charge - whose figures I wouldn't buy for even a second - and Asian-Americans? I don't remember hiding in a corner, cowering in fear when I was a kid, and the media was saying all kinds of nasty things about both sides of "The Troubles" (i.e. Catholics in the ROI, and Protestants in Northern Ireland), being "offended". It's an easy differentiation when your primary identification is as an AMERICAN. Not Irish, not Chinese ... AMERICAN.

We may be done with Dr. Fauci unless the Twittter-sphere is on fire. Dr. Birx? Wow. She's sick (not Covid-19) and tired, medicated or both. She seemed high, in a good way. She and the President had a fun, light rapport. Perhaps when this calms down they will take their show on the road. Or not. As she was speaking towards the end, the President ushered everyone else off the stage and back to work. To this point, her exchanges with the President had been light, friendly, casual, almost playful. I got the sense that she realized, "OMG, I am on the stage ALONE with this man!" as she eased into her more professional character.
                  I know there's a huge Dr. Fauci Fan Club on here, and I say that in good humor, not to belittle. It was funny, one of the days last week, folks on the old thread were worried that Dr. Fauci had "disappeared" for a day or two from the briefings. Who was the first guest on Tucker Carlson's show that evening? None other than Dr. Fauci. So I'm sure he's around, and his diehard fans haven't seen the last of him. And it's OK if there's friction at times between President Trump and Dr. Fauci. Both have different roles, but one of the two was elected to run the country, and one wasn't.

The President (((may))) have figured out that he can keep his base happy (borders closed, thinking of opening the US for business) while using hints of reality and compassion to increase his support. He's showing signs of understanding that it is OK to not have all the answers and that we will know more in a week. He's moving closer to prime time and with no sports on TV has a platform that could mean BIG trouble for Biden/(obligatory Bernie?) who has been correctly silent during the crisis.
                  I think Biden has started "daily" conferences of his own as of the other day. I heard a few snippets from one of them, and there's probably a very good reason why the media hasn't given him more coverage. With all due respect to the guy … in his case, and in his current condition, less is better. FWIW Biden has to be having concerns about Governor Cuomo … if he's even aware of him??

Having learned a lesson yesterday about the current volatility of the markets, I won't say anything here this time, other than to say the reaction in anticipation of a bipartisan deal is encouraging, but literally could change in the blink of an eye …
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

When Darwin meets God. An experiment.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Just wanted to expand on a couple of points from our media reporter Darius on yesterday's do ...
                      I considered prefacing my report with: "Sorry to keep you waiting, Chuck, here you go..."

On the China thing … I don't think that's "changing his tune" (although I'm happy you're happy) … is it really that hard to make a differentiation between native Chinese and (especially) their totalitarian regime in charge - whose figures I wouldn't buy for even a second - and Asian-Americans? I don't remember hiding in a corner, cowering in fear when I was a kid, and the media was saying all kinds of nasty things about both sides of "The Troubles" (i.e. Catholics in the ROI, and Protestants in Northern Ireland), being "offended". It's an easy differentiation when your primary identification is as an AMERICAN. Not Irish, not Chinese ... AMERICAN.
                      As a segment of our population has demonstrated time and again, YES.

I think Biden has started "daily" conferences of his own as of the other day. I heard a few snippets from one of them, and there's probably a very good reason why the media hasn't given him more coverage. With all due respect to the guy … in his case, and in his current condition, less is better. FWIW Biden has to be having concerns about Governor Cuomo … if he's even aware of him??
                      You don't say?/My gut tells me things don't end well for Joe/Please elaborate?

Having learned a lesson yesterday about the current volatility of the markets, I won't say anything here this time, other than to say the reaction in anticipation of a bipartisan deal is encouraging, but literally could change in the blink of an eye …
                      Yea for a day. So far anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        When Darwin meets God. An experiment.
                        Good for them. A chance to lead by example. Agree or disagree, something to be admired.

I considered prefacing my report with: "Sorry to keep you waiting, Chuck, here you go..."
                        I enjoy our give-and-take, Darius. We're providing a bipartisan service to the rest of the board.

As a segment of our population has demonstrated time and again, YES.
                        It's funny, I don't see Chinese Americans or Japanese Americans ******ing about being slandered (although some of them seem to be discriminated against in Ivy admissions), they seem on the whole to have assimilated remarkably well in this country, no?

Or am I missing the point (and I concede that may be the case)?
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Stanford Nobel Laureate researcher weighs in... note his predictions on shorter duration as well as his comments on the panic... One man's view, but a pretty smart man at that.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/corona...laureate-says/
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Good for them. A chance to lead by example. Agree or disagree, something to be admired.
                            I guess, in the same way that I admire the leadership of the kid on meth on the balcony who thinks he can fly, past precedent not being an issue.

He, too, will get halfway down and remark about how overblown the concerns and predictions were.
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              I guess, in the same way that I admire the leadership of the kid on meth on the balcony who thinks he can fly, past precedent not being an issue.

He, too, will get halfway down and remark about how overblown the concerns and predictions were.
                              We'll learn from this. One way or another.

I wonder how many of the students were on a FL beach last week?

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                                Stanford Nobel Laureate researcher weighs in... note his predictions on shorter duration as well as his comments on the panic... One man's view, but a pretty smart man at that.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/corona...laureate-says/
                                Read this article as well but in the LA Times. He maintains that the numbers are "messy" and "noise" bit maintains social distancing and testing are key to turning this around. Agree with both. Now is not the time to go out with your drinking buddies...(his words) love that! Be well...

Comment

Working...
                                X