MSU Spartan recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSU Spartan recruiting

Defenseman Mike Gunn (2010) recently took a step forward by joining the Chicago Steel of the USHL. He picked up an assist in his second game of three. He had 10 points in 18 games for the St. Louis Bandits, including 7 power play points. He joins Jake Chelios, who is eyeing Michigan State and Miami, and will call The Edge in Bensenville his home ice for the rest of the season.
    Last edited by owslachief; 01-07-2010, 10:16 PM.

Comment

If he decides the college route is right for him, Czarnik will spend the 2010-11 season in USHL/Green Bay, but according to Rivals.com, he's leaning toward Michigan, Denver or BU after that.
      The door is still open for Michigan State regardless - however slightly.

"I just felt like Michigan State wasn't the place for me; like maybe I was rushed into my decision and that's not what I wanted if I could have taken my time," he said. "But I'm still talking to them and they'll have a spot for me if I want it."
      -ac
      Last edited by owslachief; 01-21-2010, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
        If he decides the college route is right for him, Czarnik will spend the 2010-11 season in USHL/Green Bay, but according to Rivals.com, he's leaning toward Michigan, Denver or BU after that.
        The door is still open for Michigan State regardless - however slightly.

"I just felt like Michigan State wasn't the place for me; like maybe I was rushed into my decision and that's not what I wanted if I could have taken my time," he said. "But I'm still talking to them and they'll have a spot for me if I want it."
        -ac
        Will you go to Michigan, and then bail like your cousin? Good riddance ...
        "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
        - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
          Will you go to Michigan, and then bail like your cousin? Good riddance ...
          Did you feel the same way after Bryan Lerg renegged on his verbal commitment to Michigan (where his father went to school) and then went on to a good college career at MSU?

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
            Did you feel the same way after Bryan Lerg renegged on his verbal commitment to Michigan (where his father went to school) and then went on to a good college career at MSU?
            I'm sure you did

Go ahead and vent on that subject - we understand.

However, as Czarnik has high aspirations to be an NHL draftee in 2011 and seriously considered OHL as a conduit to getting noticed, I can almost guarantee you he's not in it for the academics.
            Last edited by owslachief; 01-21-2010, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Really, how badly did our coaching staff want him? Perhaps not badly enough.

Dillon Simpson chooses North Dakota

Comment

spartanmag.com's Ricardo Cooney has posted a message regarding MSU's recruiting of 6'6 195# Andrej Sustr, a Czech-born defenseman playing for Youngstown. He has 13 assists in 30 games for his USHL team.

Edit: He has also been talking to Colorado College
                Last edited by owslachief; 02-09-2010, 07:16 PM.

Comment

WOW! Imagine when Vorkapitch gets a hold of the kid...he'll be 6'6" and 210 before his first game!
                  MICHIGAN STATE
                  1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                    WOW! Imagine when Vorkapitch gets a hold of the kid...he'll be 6'6" and 210 before his first game!
                    And FEED that boy

Comment

An update on Mike Gunn - we may not have him until 2011. But I'm hopeful MSU isn't losing a regular defenseman after the season (may be gaining one, actually).

Comment

So he may stay in Juniors another year to develop more? I think that will be a good thing. Comley will likely change his recruiting philosophy from now on so it wouldn't surprise me to see him encourage anybody to take an extra year of Juniors.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
                          So he may stay in Juniors another year to develop more? I think that will be a good thing. Comley will likely change his recruiting philosophy from now on so it wouldn't surprise me to see him encourage anybody to take an extra year of Juniors.
                          That would be the new plan - the original would have been to be seasoned in Chicago the remainder of this year and arrive in the Fall. Now that he's on the shelf with an injury, he'll need to get that extra year.

Comment

Also remember that the Spartans have 9 defensemen currently, and all but Sturges have a lot of playing time under their belt. They have been moving Buttery and Shelgren back and forth and not even playing Johnston and Sturges at all. Johnston is the only senior, and of course everyone is hinting at Petry moving on. I can see bringing on one D for next year, but unless they are absolute studs now, do they really need another? I don't know, maybe I could be sold... ;-)
                            "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
                              Also remember that the Spartans have 9 defensemen currently, and all but Sturges have a lot of playing time under their belt. They have been moving Buttery and Shelgren back and forth and not even playing Johnston and Sturges at all. Johnston is the only senior, and of course everyone is hinting at Petry moving on. I can see bringing on one D for next year, but unless they are absolute studs now, do they really need another? I don't know, maybe I could be sold... ;-)
                              Gunn's been on target for 2010 for some time. I believe the timing of the rumoured Youngstown prospect coincides with Gunn's injury. Either way - the new kid is no doubt insurance for what could transpire in the offseason.
                              Simpson was probably out of the realistic running for 2011 long ago. (or MSU was, for him).

Incidentally, Sustr is the 210th (and very last) skater listed in Central Scouting's North American list. I'm certain he'll move up as he continues to mold his game in the speedier American juniors. This is the last year he's eligible.
                              Last edited by owslachief; 02-05-2010, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Reid Boucher is currently 3rd leading scorer on the U17.

It's bye week - and also recruiting week as a result. Let's see what big fish we can reel in the next few days

Comment

Working...
                                X