Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the problem!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the probl

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    Barry does not care about hockey as a sport, but he does care about 1.) money and 2.) reputation.

While the revenue from hockey isn't going to make or break the Athletic department budget, at some point the loss in revenue from keeping Eaves is going to be greater than the cost of buying him out.

A pair of single digit win seasons, the two worst in program history, does not project well on the Athletic department as a whole because people are taking notice. If Eaves stays on after this season, people outside the hockey circles are going to start questioning if Barry is fit to run a diversified athletic department as opposed to just a football and men's basketball programs during good times?
    I think these are the very reasons that Alvarez & Co. will indeed makes the coaching changes to both men's hockey and women's basketball. The losing is bad enough, but men's hockey losing all the revenue simply cannot be ignored. While women's basketball probably can't break even in the best cast scenario, the sheer amount of losing over Kelsy's reign is completely unacceptable.

The tricky situation would have been if this team had won 14-16 games. That reasonable possibility seemingly went out the door with Opilka bailing over the summer. I have no idea how good Jurusik can be going forward, he's just not good enough to help bail out the rest of the team if/when the offense strugggles.

Bottom line is I just don't see Eaves surviving what's almost certainly going to be another single-win season. Being a stud title winner as a player and winnlng the title in '06 can only carry so much goodwill.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the probl

A little bird (that would definitely be in the know/loop/have connections within Badger nation) told me that there's probably going to be a major shake up with Badger hockey. Not earth shattering or surprising in the least given we are on pace for a two year win total that would be a troubling total over a single season much less two and that fan support/season ticket base has cratered to a catastrophic level, but reassuring that changes are apparently imminent. I am assuming at this point of the season, Eaves will finish the season and whatever shakeup may occur will be upon completion of the season. By the way, this little bird happens to be in the circle of a person that if we sat around and speculated on potential coaching replacements, I would guess that that person would be in the two handful of names everyone would come up with. Sorry about being cryptic and I will gladly share more once the season ends and whatever transpires does.

Comment

• Originally posted by markwojo View Post
        A little bird (that would definitely be in the know/loop/have connections within Badger nation) told me that there's probably going to be a major shake up with Badger hockey. Not earth shattering or surprising in the least given we are on pace for a two year win total that would be a troubling total over a single season much less two and that fan support/season ticket base has cratered to a catastrophic level, but reassuring that changes are apparently imminent. I am assuming at this point of the season, Eaves will finish the season and whatever shakeup may occur will be upon completion of the season. By the way, this little bird happens to be in the circle of a person that if we sat around and speculated on potential coaching replacements, I would guess that that person would be in the two handful of names everyone would come up with. Sorry about being cryptic and I will gladly share more once the season ends and whatever transpires does.
        UW is buying Mike Babcock from the Leafs, got it.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
          UW is buying Mike Babcock from the Leafs, got it.
          Actual it is a trade of Eaves for Babcock with the Maple Leaves retaining salary on Babcock for cap purposes. The Leafs are in full tank mode, so who better to lead a tank then Mr. 10 wins over two seasons?

Comment

What's the next thread title gonna be?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
              Dawn of a new era will be the one after the next one.

Comment

• Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                Nice!
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  Just waiting for the axe to fall.
                  Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                    Just waiting for the axe to fall.
                    I like it. Good one. Make it so.....
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                      I like it. Good one. Make it so.....
                      Just glad to be part of the team.
                      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        WI is starting (if not there right now) to be the 2000s MTU. Not kidding. It actually saddens me, as it's difficult to even be riled up about the upcoming series. At least, compared to years past. If the WI program continues down this path, they might become completely irrelevant, even in a "rival" series with MN.

Not trolling, not one bit. This was my 2nd fave series to look forward to (UND being #1) for the season. No more.
                        I'm sure I speak for all of us; you're not trolling. I'm sure 99.9% of us would feel the same way if the situation was reversed. The 00.1% is Timmy!
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                        X