Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Snively

You are one of our greats on the board, but the 1st line was not on the power play. They were checking defensive line against the other team's 1st line. Gaudreault would be on the second power play from time to time. Our best players of that era were on the first and second power plays (some were freshmen).

Comment

• Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
      Snively

You are one of our greats on the board, but the 1st line was not on the power play. They were checking defensive line against the other team's 1st line. Gaudreault would be on the second power play from time to time. Our best players of that era were on the first and second power plays (some were freshmen).
      With all due respect 32, we're all great UNH fans on this board, but Snively and Ref might be the latest in a long line of GOATs!!
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        With all due respect 32, we're all great UNH fans on this board, but Snively and Ref might be the latest in a long line of GOATs!!
        Awwww I strive to be more like you e.cat...you are truly the coolest
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
          Snively

'32 is correct about the "senior first checking line" and its usage three seasons ago. I believe that coincided with the departure of a certain Warren Foegele early in his soph UNH season.

As to Poturalski, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. What happened to him late in his soph season against the BC's, BU's and UML's of the HE world, would happen to him in spades again IF he were playing in a top six role in the NHL. And any team that had AP in its top six would not be a good enough team to compete deep into the NHL playoffs - if they were to make the playoffs at all. And his defensive game isn't good enough (yet?) to cut it in a checking line assignment at that level. Tweener.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
            Snively

This is not true.

There is a very specific event that ingrains this units early season PP time into everyone’s mind. In just looking at the first five games leading up to said event, UNH was 6-for-30 (20%) on the PP...

Correale (Poturalski, Kelleher) - 2,6,13,16,18
            Gaudreault (Smith, Furgele) - 14,23,24,13,27
            Smith (Marks, Cleland) - 14,23,24,2,6
            Gaudreault (Furgele, Smith) - 14,23,24,21,27
            Poturalski (Kelleher, Cleland) - 2,6,13,16,18

The PP’s for the bulk first half of the season were as listed below...

Gaudreault, Smith, MacDonald, Furgele, Dawson
            Correale, Poturalski, Smith, Cleland, Marks

The ‘first-line’s’ successful three PPG weekend at STL/CLK earned them a lot of rope. Unfortunately, and predictably, that success didn’t last.

UNH did go 12-for-37 (32%) on its next 37 PP’s with every goal coming from the AP/TK unit. The ‘other’ unit went 0-for-37 (0%) and didn’t get another PP goal until December 5th against Maine (the second to last game of the first half) when Nazarian had replaced MacDonald due to injury. The other two seniors were still mainstays on the unit as you can see below...

Nazarian (Smith, Furgele) - 21,14,17,23,22

It was not until MacDonald’s injury that players like Nazarian, McNicholas Salvaggio and Vela finally started to mix in more often as UNH searched for answers with the second unit. Gaudreault and Smith remained regulars in the PP rotation all second half as well - MacDonald was not included upon his return...
            Last edited by Dan; 06-09-2019, 08:16 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              '32 is correct about the "senior first checking line" and its usage three seasons ago.
              No he is not - as evidenced below. Fortunately the evidence remains easily accessible...
              Last edited by Dan; 06-09-2019, 08:02 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                This is not true.

There is a very specific event that ingrains this units early season PP time into everyone’s mind. In just looking at the first five games leading up to said event, UNH was 6-for-30 (20%) on the PP...

Gaudreault (Smith, Furgele) - 14,23,24,13,27
                Smith (Marks, Cleland) - 14,23,24,2,6
                Gaudreault (Furgele, Smith) - 14,23,24,21,27
                Poturalski (Kelleher, Cleland) - 2,6,13,16,18

The PP’s for the bulk first half of the season were as listed below...

Gaudreault, Smith, MacDonald, Furgele, Dawson
                Correale, Poturalski, Smith, Cleland, Marks

The ‘first-line’s’ successful three PPG weekend at STL/CLK earned them a lot of rope. Unfortunately, and predictably, that success didn’t last.

UNH did go 12-for-37 (32%) on its next 37 PP’s with every goal coming from the AP/TK unit. The ‘other’ unit went 0-for-37 (0%) and didn’t get another PP goal until December 5th against Maine (the second to last game of the first half) when Nazarian had replaced MacDonald due to injury. The other two seniors were still mainstays on the unit as you can see below...

Nazarian (Smith, Furgele) - 21,23,17,14,22

It was not until MacDonald’s injury that players like Nazarian, McNicholas Salvaggio and Vela finally started to mix in more often as UNH searched for answers with the second unit. Gaudreault and Smith remained regulars in the PP rotation all second half as well - MacDonald was not included upon his return...
                The old anecdotal goat Snively65's memory ain't so bad, eh? Thanks, Dan! :-)
                Last edited by Snively65; 06-09-2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

I do believe we are going back to Boston!
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    I do believe we are going back to Boston!
                    Yes! And how DUMB is this Blues team? Provoking a team going home for Game 7 by a slash, two cross checks and a punch in the face in the last minute. The cheap thuggery just doesn't stop with this team. What an ugly series.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      Yes! And how DUMB is this Blues team? Provoking a team going home for Game 7 by a slash, two cross checks and a punch in the face in the last minute. The cheap thuggery just doesn't stop with this team. What an ugly series.
                      True colors coming out in the end...B’s did what they had to do and it wasn’t easy. Hats off to Rask...he’s MVP if they can do it Wednesday!! Don’t poke the bear let’s go Bruinssssss!
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        Agreed; seven games; Kaching$, Kaching$

B's will win only if Charlie Coyle's line continues to deliver. :-)
                        Got the first part correct, but we will see on the second part.

Heard that Big Papi out of surgery.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Awwww I strive to be more like you e.cat...you are truly the coolest
                          I wouldnt go that far

I was remiss not to add Dan to the GOAT list. He absolutely belongs on the list.

GO Bs!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            I wouldnt go that far

I was remiss not to add Dan to the GOAT list. He absolutely belongs on the list.

GO Bs!
                            e.cat is the SOG GOAT! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              e.cat is the SOG GOAT! :-)
                              Goes without saying 65. Only an SC game 7 is better

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                                I wouldnt go that far

GO Bs!
                                Tell you what, I appreciate ALL posters here (even the BU guy that comes over coz he DID cheer for UNH in that qtr Final v UMass so there's that ). Lots of knowledge here, camaraderie off the board as well. To coin my fav Eagles song "everytime I try to walk away something makes me turn around and stay; I can't tell you why"...Go BRUINSSSSSSSS
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X