Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

If anybody care and has time, Formula 1 is live streaming the new 2021 rules.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      If anybody care and has time, Formula 1 is live streaming the new 2021 rules.
      Highlights-
      Everyone knows about the very different aero.
      Mostly carryover powertrain
      lots more common parts- some from one maker, some that each team can make on their own.

Spending limit.

25 races, but only 3 day race weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        25 races, but only 3 day race weekends.
        I don't understand this last sentence. They are already three-day race weekends.

Are you saying they are going with the proposal that there will only be one FP session Friday afternoon, pushing Thursday's off track activity to Friday morning? And thus, the three-day weekend you are referring to is the teams only need to be at the track for three days instead of four (except for Monaco of course)?
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          I don't understand this last sentence. They are already three-day race weekends.

Are you saying they are going with the proposal that there will only be one FP session Friday afternoon, pushing Thursday's off track activity to Friday morning? And thus, the three-day weekend you are referring to is the teams only need to be at the track for three days instead of four (except for Monaco of course)?
          The current on track stuff is 3 days, the actual weekend is 4, so yea, all of the off track Thursdays stuff gets moved to Friday (ex Monaco). Still two practices Friday, one Saturday- all 3 will be shorter. And since the teams will be forced to present their race ready car at scrutineering prior to FP1, they think there will be less parts testing. Still happen, but the tested parts will not go onto cars that weekend. Not sure if that will really help, but it does give teams one more day to get where they are going.

They mentioned some 3D scanning and CAD being used for scrutineering, so I wonder if they think it will be faster....

Comment

And fewer total testing days for the overall total. I don't know if winter testing will be less. I think it's a plus for competition as the budget cap will help a lot.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              And fewer total testing days for the overall total. I don't know if winter testing will be less. I think it's a plus for competition as the budget cap will help a lot.
              Winter testing is cut down by two days next year (one less day each test week). There will be no in-season testing.
              Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 11-01-2019, 01:37 PM.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

6 time world champion is not a bad thing to be called. Well done, Lewis!!!

Comment

So now that Lewis has 6 maybe we should talk about top 5 or 10 F1 pilots of all-time...Is Hamilton better than Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Piquet, Mansell, Clark, Fangio, Ascari? Where does he and Vettel tank?
                  Last edited by solovsfett; 11-04-2019, 08:06 AM.
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Holy sheeeeeyat! Penske buys IMS!

https://amp.indystar.com/amp/4154155002

While I dislike Penske this is a great move for Indycar.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

I saw that! I think it will be good for the sport, but let's see what the news conference this afternoon has in it.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

So now that Lewis has 6 maybe we should talk about top 5 or 10 F1 pilots of all-time...Is Hamilton better than Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Piquet, Mansell, Clark, Fangio, Ascari? Where does he and Vettel tank?
                        Given the on track behavior, I would put Hamilton ahead of Schumacher. Schumi seemed to learn too much cut throat behavior from Senna (who I'm not the biggest fan of)- and Vettel amplified some of Schumi's behaviors. Hamilton rarely was dirty on the track.

And I know Hamilton will get less credit for always being on a good team- but you don't get on a good team by being bad- so I'd actually give him extra credit for being so good that his career was launched on the best team, and he moved from there to the next team that was clearly the best.

Of the rest of the drivers you listed- I'd only give GOAT consideration to Fangio. And I'd add Nuvolare to the list and take out all of the others. The biggest real unknown is Jim Clark. BTW, it's interesting that you had him, but not Stewart- who WAS the #1 winner before Prost broke his record.

Fun to talk about it, sure. But it's virtually impossible to compare drivers from one era to another.

Still, I'd root for Hamilton all day; and except for his first season with Benetton, I always rooted against Schumacher. He made me really hate Ferrari.

Comment

So does Penske go from a 3 car team to a 30 car team?

Really, does he move that off, so there are less rumors of conflict of interest?

Comment

I wonder what the impact on open-wheel racing would have been had something like this happened 20 or 21 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                              I wonder what the impact on open-wheel racing would have been had something like this happened 20 or 21 years ago.
                              If this happened prior to the split Indycar may have retained their appeal over nascar.

While I don’t like Penske this is exactly what IMS and indycar needs.

Let Penske spin his team off to cindric and Penske can be the new Ecclestone.

Comment

So, in the end, the final chapter has been written -- Penske won. FTG lost.
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X