No announcement yet.

UNH vs Maine , 12/4 & 12/5 - "The Wheels On The House Go 'Round And 'Round...."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH vs Maine , 12/4 & 12/5 - "The Wheels On The House Go 'Round And 'Round...."

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Actually I was talking about a different topic of mutual interest - UMaine and UNH, and hopefully well beyond those two - no reflection on this thread or its quality. I have much love for the UMaine-iacs, and was just lamenting what this rivalry has lost over the last decade.

You guys will know it when you see it - sorry to be vague, but it's how we do a "teaser" at WIS Productions!
    Can't waittttt!!!! I'm still debating if I'm gonna do the drive to the Alfond on Friday...sigh..just so long. Two years in a row now that game is played on a Friday night. Wonder what the Maine student section has in store this year...last year's was, well, you can look it up yourself...
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Re: UNH vs Maine , 12/4 & 12/5 - "The Wheels On The House Go 'Round And 'Round...."

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Can't waittttt!!!! I'm still debating if I'm gonna do the drive to the Alfond on Friday...sigh..just so long. Two years in a row now that game is played on a Friday night. Wonder what the Maine student section has in store this year...last year's was, well, you can look it up yourself...
      Both games are on FCS if that helps in your decision making!
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        Helps me a ton. I was actually having some insane thoughts about landing at Logan at noon after 13 hours of travel and driving straight to Orono. FCS will suffice, and I think my wife will appreciate it. See y'all at the Whitt Saturday.
        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Def does! Am not going to make the trip. My last time up there was 2 years ago and I wore NO UNH gear. Sat in one of the "premium" seats off the penalty box/ center ice. Guy next to me told me that usually college scouts sat in that seat; did I pay the 50.00 for it? yes I did. UNH lost 3-2 that evening and I drove up in a terrible snow storm. So sitting at home watching it is going to have to suffice. Basically enjoyed the game at the Alfond; not the 4.5 hrs. to get there.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Def does! Am not going to make the trip. My last time up there was 2 years ago and I wore NO UNH gear. Sat in one of the "premium" seats off the penalty box/ center ice. Guy next to me told me that usually college scouts sat in that seat; did I pay the 50.00 for it? yes I did. UNH lost 3-2 that evening and I drove up in a terrible snow storm. So sitting at home watching it is going to have to suffice. Basically enjoyed the game at the Alfond; not the 4.5 hrs. to get there.
            Sissy. Back in the day, we'd travel up to the Downeast through raging blizzards on dog sleds, walking those final few miles from Bangor in sub-zero temps after even the dogs couldn't take it any more. Sit in cramped obstructed view seats surrounded by snaggle toothed locals stanking of liquor and tobacky, all for the privilege of watching Walshy's retroactive financially aided boys drub the SMT's by 5 goals with some help from the frightened HEA officials, who wouldn't be allowed to leave alive if the two points didn't come down decisively in the home team's favor. All while risking our future health with the fungus dripping from the asbestos-ridden arena ceiling. And if we were lucky, the UNH goalie might not be left for dead after having had a few liters of blood drained from a stray skate blade.

ok only some of that was a slight exaggeration. i'm not entirely sure about the fungus or asbestos ...
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Sissy. Back in the day, we'd travel up to the Downeast through raging blizzards on dog sleds, walking those final few miles from Bangor in sub-zero temps after even the dogs couldn't take it any more. Sit in cramped obstructed view seats surrounded by snaggle toothed locals stanking of liquor and tobacky, all for the privilege of watching Walshy's retroactive financially aided boys drub the SMT's by 5 goals with some help from the frightened HEA officials, who wouldn't be allowed to leave alive if the two points didn't come down decisively in the home team's favor. All while risking our future health with the fungus dripping from the asbestos-ridden arena ceiling. And if we were lucky, the UNH goalie might not be left for dead after having had a few liters of blood drained from a stray skate blade.

ok only some of that was a slight exaggeration. i'm not entirely sure about the fungus or asbestos ...
              haha You're killing me man! Yes I am a wuss And who knows...I might still go. Knowing me, it's still an option! What's that old saying of one of the UNH greats, maybe Lanny Gare (sp) "I'd rather be stabbed in Lowell than to play hockey in Maine"? Seems fittin'. The stories that place could tell...sigh...
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

haha You're killing me man! Yes I am a wuss And who knows...I might still go. Knowing me, it's still an option! What's that old saying of one of the UNH greats, maybe Lanny Gare (sp) "I'd rather be stabbed in Lowell than to play hockey in Maine"? Seems fittin'. The stories that place could tell...sigh...
                Yup, that was Gare. Not sure of the verbatim quote, but you got most of the important stuff right.

Did You Know?: Lanny's uncle Danny Gare had a 13 year NHL career, during which he scored 354 goals (including two 50 goal seasons for Buffalo) before being traded away by then-Buffalo GM Scotty Bowman to the Detroit Red Wings, where Gare became the answer to a popular trivia question ("Who was Detroit's last captain before Steve Yzerman took the job for the next 20+ seasons?").

Ironically, it would be when Bowman moved to Detroit almost 10 years later that Yzerman would become an iconic captain figure by adjusting to a more balanced two-way game, after Bowman initially toyed with the idea of trading him to Ottawa for the star-crossed Alexander Yashin - who himself was a decidedly one-way player who had some very good seasons in the NHL, but never played for a winner, and never really lived up to his staggering potential.

Funny how things can turn out sometimes. Lessons to be learned in there, too.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

, but never played for a winner,
                  Just like every player in UHN history
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I wonder what he would pick between being stabbed in Lowell and losing 7-2 in the frozen four.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      I wonder what he would pick between being stabbed in Lowell and losing 7-2 in the frozen four.
                      Wow - saving up the one about losing in the finals in OT? Is that the trump card? (Or is it the Trumph card.... - oops, wrong thread)

And yes, I get that he didn't arrive on campus until the following year...
                      Last edited by wildcatdc; 11-30-2015, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Just like every player in UHN history
                        Cmon, Walrus, you've seen our banners!!! 😄

Comment

As UNH fans, we've had plenty to complain about in recent years - but at least we have Poturalski & Kelleher and haven't fallen as far or as hard as the Bears. Imagine the torture of sitting in a run-down, Alfond Arena all winter long, watching your team average just over a goal per game...
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                            Helps me a ton. I was actually having some insane thoughts about landing at Logan at noon after 13 hours of travel and driving straight to Orono. FCS will suffice, and I think my wife will appreciate it. See y'all at the Whitt Saturday.
                            Glad that helps dc. Hopefully I can catch up to you and ref Saturday night at the Whit. Safe travels.
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Glad that helps dc. Hopefully I can catch up to you and ref Saturday night at the Whit. Safe travels.
                              Hey this isn't Facebook ya know...meet you and other unh fans at the picture between 1st and 2nd?
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Hey this isn't Facebook ya know...meet you and other unh fans at the picture between 1st and 2nd?
                                Count me in. Will likely be at Libby's as well, pre-game.

Hope scoreboard isn't watching

Comment

Working...
                                X