World Juniors 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Juniors 2020

USA with a brutal draw this year to try and medal for the fifth straight year.

USA, Canada, Russia, Czech Republic (host) and Germany up for first time in five years.

Czech just beat Russia 4-3.

USA with a stern opening test at 1pm eastern with Canada.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: World Juniors 2020

The game is available on the NHL network in HD.

Putin Played in a Christmas game in Moscow last night. His team won 14-8 in a pitcher's battle. IIRC, he score like 5 goals. There is no report about whether the opposition required its goalie to play shirtless or whether there was checking allowed.

Comment

USA, up 2-0 after one, has given it all back early in the second and headed to another PK...
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

US taking too many bad penalties. Gotta stay out of the box.
        Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
        www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Ouch. Tie it up and then seconds later.... Gah.
          It Happened!!!!

Comment

And.....game over.
            Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
            www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
              And.....game over.
              Tough play by your supposedly your top Dman right after the goal to go back ahead basically no look across the ice. Still a great play by Lafrenjere to bat it out of mid air and then bury the puck...but still, gotta be smarter there.
              GO LAKERS!!!
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Man..that defensive pairing of Stasney (2 awful penalties, leading to goals) and Miller (crazy bad turnover in front of his goal) - was tough to watch

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  Tough play by your supposedly your top Dman right after the goal to go back ahead basically no look across the ice. Still a great play by Lafrenjere to bat it out of mid air and then bury the puck...but still, gotta be smarter there.
                  This is what it's like to be a Badger fan this year. Folks look at the talent in the Badgers line up and wonder how they can have the record they do... That is why right there. Young super talented kids that make bad decisions and give the puck away in front of our net. Seen it happen so many times this season exactly like that play by K'Andre... ugh!

Credit the Canadians with making the plays, but man, that is a frustrating way to finish games.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

also, Sweden extended its winning streak to an incredible 49 straight games in the pool play round with a late 3rd period goal vs. Finland and then scoring with 6 seconds left in overtime.

Sweden’s streak is REMARKABLE. However, I do often feel like somehow someway the draws always seem to work out that they are in the “weaker” pool.

I feel like Russia, Canada and the US are almost always in the same pool every year, it’s crazy.
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

To bad Pintos goal didn’t count at the end of the second. Could of made a difference momentum wise but yeah to **** many penalties and bad turnovers
                      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
                        Man..that defensive pairing of Stasney (2 awful penalties, leading to goals) and Miller (crazy bad turnover in front of his goal) - was tough to watch
                        So much is situational awareness as well. Just tied the game, That puck has to go up the wall and out of the zone. Soft backhand sauce across the middle under 2 man pressure? Big win for Canada, unfortunate for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          This is what it's like to be a Badger fan this year. Folks look at the talent in the Badgers line up and wonder how they can have the record they do... That is why right there. Young super talented kids that make bad decisions and give the puck away in front of our net. Seen it happen so many times this season exactly like that play by K'Andre... ugh!
                          Here in the (Hockey East), we see that happen with such frequency that the term "phenomena" is no longer applicable. BC and bu seem to divide up the National U-18 team in their annual recruiting efforts. They tend to be among the youngest, and possibly the least mature teams, in D1. The kids have been thoroughly pampered and need to take much of their first year to learn one of life's most basic lessons: "it's not all about you". By the time they've become fully acclimated to team play, they are probably sophomores and their minds are on whether to sign with the team that drafted them and how large a contract their agent can get them. No point in waiting around, as they have had a taste of college social life life and have coped with those annoyances created by professors who naively expect them to make a sincere effort to learn something.
                          It appears that Wisconsin's coaching staff wants to follow a similar model as they recruited some fine players, sometimes shortly after they players reached puberty. Their own twist seems to be the idea that they will recruit 3 players for every two that they will enroll. They can lock them up for several years while they see who develops and who lags a bit. Some the laggards seem to wind up with lines through their names on the Heisenberg site. What joy it is (not) to have to reopen their recruitment and to contact coaches that they had previously rejected.. Oh, how I wish I ccould buy stocks where, if they don't work out, I can ditch them and only keep the winners. These kids aren't stupid. They can see what is happening. It does a real job on the heads of certain individuals who are struggling with the challenges of being a teenager and really need things in their lives that they can count on.

The point of this mini-rant is that while the players ultimately do the winning and losing on the ice, many games and seasons are successful because of what goes on in the locker room before anyone sets a skate on the ice. The coach has to recruit the "right" players, not just those with the best stats, agents of PR people. These would be strong players who are coachable, team oriented, hockey smart, and who are aware that they need to continue to improve. The coach must then establish the players' trust and belief that he will make them better so that they will buy into his system. A coach, who was a great player and expects to be a successful coach has to have patience as his players will probably not pick up the skills that he found easy when he was in their place. He also must understand who he is coaching - He can't coach college kids the same way he may have coached (or has been coached) as a pro).

I wonder if you have the right staff to manage the kind of talent that they like to recruit. There may simply be a mismatch here. Hockey East has had four coaches who have turned moribund programs around inside of the length of their initial contract. Nate Leaman at PC won a National Championship and his guys have played in another Frozen Final. Norm Bazin at UMass Lowell has won two HEA Championships. Jim Madigan at Northeastern has won two HEA Championships and the last two Beanpot tournaments and has developed a Hobey Baker winner and another finalist. Greg Carvel at UMass Amherst has taken his team to the Final Four in just three years and has also developed a Hobey winner.. The common threads among them was that they took over dumpster programs, the recruited and blended a roster with a few stars and a great many role players. Their players believed in them. They believed that his coaching could make them better, and that they weren't finished products who were ready for the NHL.
                          For a variety of reasons, I have a soft spot and positive rooting interest for the Badgers. Sadly, I have not seen anything like the turnaround I had hoped for. I am just a fan and not an expert on Wisco Men's hockey. If I am way off base here, and the situation is better than it looks on the surface, please correct my impression - Politely, please, unlike those Goopher people

Best of luck in the second half.

Comment

I like this US team to do very well here. I think Knight will be the difference. Was not impressed with Canada’s goalie. Very much like US chances in a rematch.

Unfortunate ending for US but plenty to build on. As solid as Pinto was offensively, he got caught watching the puck on Canada goal #1 and then took a bad penalty for Canada goal #2.

Wonder if US will switch up some D pairings? Also need to do better on face offs - felt like Canada won most when mattered.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

Credit the Canadians with making the plays, but man, that is a frustrating way to finish games.
                              This is exactly how I felt about Q. Hughes last year. He tried to do too much—thought he could be a superstar and never did change his game despite the heightened competition, made costly turnovers all tournament . Was glad UMD doesn’t have liabilities like that on the teamno matter how high of a prospect they are

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                              Here in the (Hockey East), we see that happen with such frequency that the term "phenomena" is no longer applicable. BC and bu seem to divide up the National U-18 team in their annual recruiting efforts. They tend to be among the youngest, and possibly the least mature teams, in D1. The kids have been thoroughly pampered and need to take much of their first year to learn one of life's most basic lessons: "it's not all about you". By the time they've become fully acclimated to team play, they are probably sophomores and their minds are on whether to sign with the team that drafted them and how large a contract their agent can get them. No point in waiting around, as they have had a taste of college social life life and have coped with those annoyances created by professors who naively expect them to make a sincere effort to learn something.
                              It appears that Wisconsin's coaching staff wants to follow a similar model as they recruited some fine players, sometimes shortly after they players reached puberty. Their own twist seems to be the idea that they will recruit 3 players for every two that they will enroll. They can lock them up for several years while they see who develops and who lags a bit. Some the laggards seem to wind up with lines through their names on the Heisenberg site. What joy it is (not) to have to reopen their recruitment and to contact coaches that they had previously rejected.. Oh, how I wish I ccould buy stocks where, if they don't work out, I can ditch them and only keep the winners. These kids aren't stupid. They can see what is happening. It does a real job on the heads of certain individuals who are struggling with the challenges of being a teenager and really need things in their lives that they can count on.

The point of this mini-rant is that while the players ultimately do the winning and losing on the ice, many games and seasons are successful because of what goes on in the locker room before anyone sets a skate on the ice. The coach has to recruit the "right" players, not just those with the best stats, agents of PR people. These would be strong players who are coachable, team oriented, hockey smart, and who are aware that they need to continue to improve. The coach must then establish the players' trust and belief that he will make them better so that they will buy into his system. A coach, who was a great player and expects to be a successful coach has to have patience as his players will probably not pick up the skills that he found easy when he was in their place. He also must understand who he is coaching - He can't coach college kids the same way he may have coached (or has been coached) as a pro).

I wonder if you have the right staff to manage the kind of talent that they like to recruit. There may simply be a mismatch here. Hockey East has had four coaches who have turned moribund programs around inside of the length of their initial contract. Nate Leaman at PC won a National Championship and his guys have played in another Frozen Final. Norm Bazin at UMass Lowell has won two HEA Championships. Jim Madigan at Northeastern has won two HEA Championships and the last two Beanpot tournaments and has developed a Hobey Baker winner and another finalist. Greg Carvel at UMass Amherst has taken his team to the Final Four in just three years and has also developed a Hobey winner.. The common threads among them was that they took over dumpster programs, the recruited and blended a roster with a few stars and a great many role players. Their players believed in them. They believed that his coaching could make them better, and that they weren't finished products who were ready for the NHL.
                              For a variety of reasons, I have a soft spot and positive rooting interest for the Badgers. Sadly, I have not seen anything like the turnaround I had hoped for. I am just a fan and not an expert on Wisco Men's hockey. If I am way off base here, and the situation is better than it looks on the surface, please correct my impression - Politely, please, unlike those Goopher people

Best of luck in the second half.
                              Nailed it.
                              I wanna go fast!

Comment

Working...
                              X