Terrible Mariucci attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible Mariucci attendance

Attendance was beyond awful at today's St. Cloud-Minnesota game. Paid attendance was 9k but there was barely 3-4k as seen on TV. Can't blame them. Goofers are terrible. Love how Big 11 hockey allows me to see Lucia and Co get embarrassed in every home game.

Thank you, Big 11!
    CCHA 4 LIFE

Re: Terrible Mariucci attendance

It was no different in South Bend yesterday. Box score listed a sellout (5022) at the CFIA but there were perhaps 1000 people actually in the building. I don't know why teams bother releasing attendance figures anymore. They're lies. And please do not tell me the box score attendance reflects "tickets sold" as opposed to an actual turnstile count. That's hogwash. 6000 people do not buy tickets they have no intention of using. The same thing in South Bend. There were not 4000 people who had a ticket and decided to stay home. Many, like me I'm sure, decided the Notre Dame football game would be more entertaining than watching Notre Dame sleepwalk through another consolation game in their own tournament, but not 4000. Live sports are becoming a hard sell to the hand held device generation. There are always going to be a handful of hot teams in each sport/league that truly pack 'em in, but most teams are finding it harder and harder to get people to show up and actually sit and watch something other than a smart phone or tablet for three hours.

Comment

The Gopher hockey product was worth spending NHL-level money to attend. Now its not.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
        It was no different in South Bend yesterday. Box score listed a sellout (5022) at the CFIA but there were perhaps 1000 people actually in the building. I don't know why teams bother releasing attendance figures anymore. They're lies. And please do not tell me the box score attendance reflects "tickets sold" as opposed to an actual turnstile count. That's hogwash. 6000 people do not buy tickets they have no intention of using. The same thing in South Bend. There were not 4000 people who had a ticket and decided to stay home. Many, like me I'm sure, decided the Notre Dame football game would be more entertaining than watching Notre Dame sleepwalk through another consolation game in their own tournament, but not 4000. Live sports are becoming a hard sell to the hand held device generation. There are always going to be a handful of hot teams in each sport/league that truly pack 'em in, but most teams are finding it harder and harder to get people to show up and actually sit and watch something other than a smart phone or tablet for three hours.
        Tickets sold include businesses that buy them to entertain clients. It's a write-off for them, under "advertising" or related. So I believe the "sold" number. The actual attendance? Yeah, that's usually a joke.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Lucia does a great job of getting goods fans to come to Minnesota, but struggles to keep them for more than a season or two. You'll find much better, more experienced crowds in the AH and WCHA barns.
          BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            Tickets sold include businesses that buy them to entertain clients. It's a write-off for them, under "advertising" or related. So I believe the "sold" number. The actual attendance? Yeah, that's usually a joke.
            And also season ticket holders that can't go or can use all their tickets for a certain game. I'm pretty confident that BU pads their attendance numbers somehow (either announcing tickets sold, or including employees, players and the invisible man etc in attendance numbers)

Comment

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
              Lucia does a great job of getting goods fans to come to Minnesota, but struggles to keep them for more than a season or two. You'll find much better, more experienced crowds in the AH and WCHA barns.
              Disagree. You'll find LOUDER fans, due to rules, ushers, security, etc. The kind of atmosphere I prefer. The more corpie the arena, the more silent the crowd.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I was there tonight, and yes there were a lot of empty seats. Once again it was a late-arriving crowd, but it didn't come close to matching Friday night's attendance, which honestly was close to full (other than the student sections, which were only about half full, due to the Thanksgiving Holiday). Tonight I would estimate that actual butts in the seats, in the second period after the late arrivals showed up - but before disgruntled Gopher fans left early - at about 7,000. Part of that I think is due to the unusual Sunday night start, but overall there is definitely a declining trend in Mariucci attendance, which I'm sure is worrisome to the Gopher athletic department.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Once again it was a late-arriving crowd.
                  People that come late to college hockey games are pesky and annoying. Someone should make a rule against that.
                  BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

I was there tonight, and yes there were a lot of empty seats. Once again it was a late-arriving crowd, but it didn't come close to matching Friday night's attendance, which honestly was close to full (other than the student sections, which were only about half full, due to the Thanksgiving Holiday). Tonight I would estimate that actual butts in the seats, in the second period after the late arrivals showed up - but before disgruntled Gopher fans left early - at about 7,000. Part of that I think is due to the unusual Sunday night start, but overall there is definitely a declining trend in Mariucci attendance, which I'm sure is worrisome to the Gopher athletic department.
                    No, Hammy has assured the world that having an unusual start time or day of the week has no impact on attendance at Mariucci. Keep that in mind when the Gophers host Michigan for the Thursday night game in March.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      No, Hammy has assured the world that having an unusual start time or day of the week has no impact on attendance at Mariucci. Keep that in mind when the Gophers host Michigan for the Thursday night game in March.
                      If you would be so kind, please send me a reminder about a week in advance.

Comment

I'm confused...what is the reason to cause late arrivals? Just admit Goofer fans weren't exactly looking forward to another whipping at the hands of St Cloud, and that's coming from a CCHA heritage fan. Goofers are awful and they can't even blame an 80 y/o coach like Mich fan does.
                        CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                          It was no different in South Bend yesterday.

I lived in SB for my first job after college and attended quite a few ND hockey games, but if you're comparing Mariucci to SB, then case closed for the Goofers.
                          CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Ticket prices don't help. IIRC, $35 minimum for SRO tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                              I'm confused...what is the reason to cause late arrivals?
                              I'll ignore the cheap shot in the last half of your post, but I would venture to say that

(a) Many fans arrived late because they didn't realize (or ignored) the earlier-than-normal 6PM start time, and/or

(b) The parking situation. The lots closest to the arena get closed very early to those who did not purchase a season parking pass to that particular lot. Those who don't have the parking pass end up driving around looking for their next best option, causing them to be late, and/or

(c) Many pessimistic Gopher fans are no longer in any hurry to be on time to see the opening faceoff. They hang around their favorite drinking establishment, trying to ease the pain of seeing their team lose to teams they used to routinely beat. This may be the biggest reason for the late-arriving crowd.
                              Last edited by D2D; 11-29-2015, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X