Tennis...Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Didn't grunt persay but he was a baseline player. Never went to the net. Won the most on grass where it's all about power.
    What? Are you talking about the same Sampras I grew up watching??

Comment

• Re: Tennis...Anyone?

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      What? Are you talking about the same Sampras I grew up watching??
      I'm probably wrong looking around google. I always remembered him as a power server. I stand corrected. I never liked him and it probably clouds my judgement. Doesn't alter my comments about clay though. Sampras never won there if I remember correctly and that's why I picked him as a poor example here.
      Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 09-10-2019, 09:20 AM.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Yes. I understand that. I would just think that if Rafa were just a baseline grunter like Sampras he would never be winning on Clay. Clay is the ultimate Tennis surface. It exposes every aspect of a players game.
        Jimmy Connors nods, gulps down another cheap beer, thinks about Chrissy.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I think about Chrissy, too.

Comment

My tennis coach told me Nadal's mechanics are so bad for his arm it's going to be unusable after he retires and he's going to live out his life in horrific pain.

So there's that, anyway.
            I don't notice any bad mechanics from Nadal, but I probably wouldn't be able to diagnose them even if if I did.

Still, tennis players have to know their game. (I lay-off returning a deep moon-ball via my backhand, for instance, because trying to hit that return for a winner messes with my shoulder half the time. ... So, I hit a moonie right back, and with a ton of slice, then get right back in the middle of the court. That works as often as not, even against advanced players.)

Nadal's strength is his fitness, ergo his success on clay... But his BS gamesmanship on a hard court is disappointing. He's a sissy, at heart.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 09-10-2019, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Bet you don't call him that again.

Comment

(We're still playing, two sets today alone...)

But I'm curious as to whether any of you players have experimented with the un-pressurized balls?

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

That was such a great clip. Nice reference!
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    That was such a great clip. Nice reference!
                    Immortalized by Jim Rome as "The Incident."
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

Indeed, rather sad. But tennis is one of the most popular and interesting games for me. I like to train every time I have such a possibility.

Comment

Probably beating a dead horse here, but has anyone of you players tried the pressure-less balls yet???

We played just today, in 43 degree weather. The PL balls were lively even after spending the cold night in the car. We play around 150 sets outdoors every year, and two 18-ball bags have been all that we needed for the season, which is fairly amazing.

I don't expect to ever go back to pressurized balls. They're dead after a set of banging from the baseline, and I always hated to create that much trash. This is better.

PS: Don't buy the Penn PL "practice balls"; they are wooden from the get-go... Oddly enough, the cheaper "Athletic Works" balls at WalMart are far more lively and durable. We can impart spin on those just as we have on pressurized balls.

Go green and try them! I read that most balls used in Northern Europe are of this ilk. And Sweden has produced some pretty good tennis players.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-06-2019, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X