This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    You forgot "I suppose I could riff a list of things I care as little about as our last week... OH. And Hugh Jackman!"
    "Hugh Jackman is Wolverine! How dare he!"
    I was gonna add those but they weren't quality gifs
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Depends.

I stopped going to X-Men movies after X-Men: The Last Stand cause it was so horrible. Want(ed) to see this one cause it's one of my favorite storylines but what I've heard is not good.

I may pass again.
      Not why I hate most of the films but I've always hated Wolverine. Such a boring character by marvel standards.
      You should rent/stream X-Men: First Class. It is, IMO, the best of the new X-Men movies. And to your liking, Wolverine has about a 3-second cameo in the movie for a quick joke, that's it.

I saw Dark Phoenix last night, but had to leave just after the climax. So I missed the full resolution of the movie. It was decent - nothing great by any means, but I liked this version of the Dark Phoenix much better than any version I've seen thus far - live action movies or animated shows.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I am Dark Phoenix right now...whole theater to myself. Never had this at any major release I have seen no matter day or time.

Sad.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Dark Phoenix: C+/B-. I wanted to like it way more, and parts of it are pretty dang sweet...but ultimately it is dragged down by some of the choices made and the cast. Sophie Turner as Jean Grey/Phoenix just didn't work. She does not have the gravitas or the ability to emote to the level needed to make her character what it should have been. (or at least she doesnt with this director and this script) Jessica Chastain is wasted (good lord her character was dumb...hell that whole storyline was crap) which also was annoying.

I dunno it felt like they went for some rather cliche stories where they werent needed. It was very paint by numbers in that regard.

Nicholas Hoult as Beast was quite good. Fassbender as Magneto is always a good time on screen and McAvoy as Xaviar for the most part really holds together the story. The rest of the X-Men (outside of Cyclops who always seems to end up a whiny baby in these things) are also good to varying degrees with Quicksilver and Nightcrawler stealing early scenes. Nightcrawler in the final showdown is sick!

The final showdown saves the film from being a true disaster. A whole lot of fun, until the very end with the stupid voiceover. (though the scene in Paris was nice in its own right)

I think the film had the potential to be something pretty awesome, but either through failure of story, directing or just the wrong actors in the wrong parts it never got there. On the spectrum of X films it is better than Last Stand (though not by as much as it should have been) but is well behind First Class and Days of Future's Past. It isnt as bad as some of the reviews, but it isnt that much better either.
          Last edited by Handyman; 06-13-2019, 09:51 AM.
          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I agree that Sophie Turner was miscast. That role needs things she hasn't really been able to show as an actress. To me, it felt like they plucked in Sansa Stark because they wanted the GoT name connected to the movie.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Wife dragged me to Aladdin.

Holy ****balls that sucked. D- because of Will Smith. Without him it would not merit a grade whatsoever.
              Last edited by solovsfett; 06-14-2019, 08:52 AM.
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Men in Black: Ragnarok

Dont waste your time. It is about 1/4 a fun movie the rest is just worthless.
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Men in Black: Ragnarok

Dont waste your time. It is about 1/4 a fun movie the rest is just worthless.
                  Shoot. I was hopeful.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Shoot. I was hopeful.
                    So was I but it kind of suffers from the same issues the other sequels do. The charm of the first one is partly there because it is new to us as well. By this point getting the "we are the Men in Black" speech has no meaning because everyone knows it.

With a better story it could have been solid. I just dont think the concept lends itself to much more than that in sequels because it is a known commodity and half of what makes it great is being unknown.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

What men want - watched on plane, so not sure if there was nudity or not. If so, would watch. Otherwise no

9 to 5 - dated so worth a view for historical measure. Lily tomlin is always funny. Dolly is always sweet.
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Regarding Cusack's latest Twitter kerfuffle, perhaps he's depressed after going from a decent Hollywood A-lister to having to make a movie with another befallen icon Nick Cage that looked just freaking awful. I stumbled upon it while flipping channels and had to turn it off after about 10 minutes. Cage looked like he was doing an impression of Andy Kaufman pretending to be Tony Clifton. Effing wow it was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Cage looked like he was doing an impression of Andy Kaufman pretending to be Tony Clifton.
                          Wait. Pretending?
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            What men want - watched on plane, so not sure if there was nudity or not. If so, would watch. Otherwise no
                            Given the title it's just 3 hours of silence.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Given the title it's just 3 hours of silence.
                              Heyooo!

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Regarding Cusack's latest Twitter kerfuffle, perhaps he's depressed after going from a decent Hollywood A-lister to having to make a movie with another befallen icon Nick Cage that looked just freaking awful. I stumbled upon it while flipping channels and had to turn it off after about 10 minutes. Cage looked like he was doing an impression of Andy Kaufman pretending to be Tony Clifton. Effing wow it was bad.
                                The Frozen Ground?
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X