Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    I am old enough to remember the Washington Senators, and their big boppers and some very decent pitchers, too, who moved to MSP leaving our capital without a MLB team for a longtime. And, a Senators manager had some Boston connections.
    Which "Senators" do you mean Snives? There were two, after all …

Senators Mach One - relocated to the Twin Cities, circa 1960. Harmon Killebrew, Bobby Allison, etc.
    Senators Mach Two - started up the following year in expansion, managed later on by Ted Williams. Frank "The Capital Punisher" Howard, Mike Epstein (who had an even more colorful nickname I won't use here, lest some folks get triggered), and Don Mincher were probably some of their big boppers. Howard had an amazing run in DC over 6-7 seasons, but when they eventually moved to Texas (Rangers) in the early '70's it pretty much marked the end of his career.

Not sure which one was the one you referenced? Do realize the difference may age you by 10 years.

IIRC the Sens' last game before moving to Texas resulted in a forfeit when the crowd prematurely invaded the diamond. Having been in the Big Owe for Les Expos' final game 30-something years later, I can tell you there were moments during that game when I wouldn't have been surprised to see the same thing - 30,000-plus angry Montrealers, and as luck would have it, the last visitors were the Marlins - then defending WS champs, and owned by the father/stepson duo that pulled the plug on an approved new Montreal stadium a few years earlier, before they dumped the team on MLB in the same transaction that sent John Henry and his crew from Florida to Boston. There were long stoppages mid-game, and it's the closest I've ever been to a possible real-live riot.

Hated to see it happen to the Chargers a couple of years ago, and yeah, if Tampa Bay ever leaves for Montreal (or anywhere FWIW), I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't feel badly for the fans they leave behind. Folks get attached to teams. It's gut-wrenching, if you ever have the misfortune to experience it. There are WAY more important things in life, but it still takes a piece of you away.

So yeah, DC was without a team for awhile, but I suspect the one you remember left for Texas, not MSP.

Maybe the you-know-who's will prove the 3rd time's the charm for DC baseball.

I still hate 'em though. Can't help it. I thought I was over it, found out this week I wasn't.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Which "Senators" do you mean Snives? There were two, after all …

Senators Mach One - relocated to the Twin Cities, circa 1960. Harmon Killebrew, Bobby Allison, etc.
      Senators Mach Two - started up the following year in expansion, managed later on by Ted Williams. Frank "The Capital Punisher" Howard, Mike Epstein (who had an even more colorful nickname I won't use here, lest some folks get triggered), and Don Mincher were probably some of their big boppers. Howard had an amazing run in DC over 6-7 seasons, but when they eventually moved to Texas (Rangers) in the early '70's it pretty much marked the end of his career.

Not sure which one was the one you referenced? Do realize the difference may age you by 10 years.

IIRC the Sens' last game before moving to Texas resulted in a forfeit when the crowd prematurely invaded the diamond. Having been in the Big Owe for Les Expos' final game 30-something years later, I can tell you there were moments during that game when I wouldn't have been surprised to see the same thing - 30,000-plus angry Montrealers, and as luck would have it, the last visitors were the Marlins - then defending WS champs, and owned by the father/stepson duo that pulled the plug on an approved new Montreal stadium a few years earlier, before they dumped the team on MLB in the same transaction that sent John Henry and his crew from Florida to Boston. There were long stoppages mid-game, and it's the closest I've ever been to a possible real-live riot.

Hated to see it happen to the Chargers a couple of years ago, and yeah, if Tampa Bay ever leaves for Montreal (or anywhere FWIW), I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't feel badly for the fans they leave behind. Folks get attached to teams. It's gut-wrenching, if you ever have the misfortune to experience it. There are WAY more important things in life, but it still takes a piece of you away.

So yeah, DC was without a team for awhile, but I suspect the one you remember left for Texas, not MSP.

Maybe the you-know-who's will prove the 3rd time's the charm for DC baseball.

I still hate 'em though. Can't help it. I thought I was over it, found out this week I wasn't.
      Oops, I meant the first Washington Senators team, when Teddy Ballgame was still patrolling below the Green Monster at Fenway. As I kid, I really enjoyed watching Harmon Killibrew and other Senator big boppers come to town. If I had taken a little more time to think, I would have remembered that Teddy's undistinguished time as manager in DC was v.2.0 of the Senators.

I was too young to know any Boston Braves fans, but I remember that a lot of people were still really upset after the Braves moved to Milwaukee, despite their return for a game each year with the Sox to support the Jimmy Fund.

Comment

Oops, I meant the first Washington Senators team, when Teddy Ballgame was still patrolling below the Green Monster at Fenway. As I kid, I really enjoyed watching Harmon Killibrew and other Senator big boppers come to town. If I had taken a little more time to think, I would have remembered that Teddy's undistinguished time as manager in DC was v.2.0 of the Senators.

I was too young to know any Boston Braves fans, but I remember that a lot of people were still really upset after the Braves moved to Milwaukee, despite their return for a game each year with the Sox to support the Jimmy Fund.
        Anyone have the link to tonight's broadcast?
        Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
          Anyone have the link to tonight's broadcast?
          Go Cats!
          https://www.flohockey.tv/events/6553...ic-mens-hockey

This was on the site...Go 'Cats!
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

My Dad used to sit in the "Jury Box" at Braves Field (now Nickerson Field at BU, which is hardly even a "field" anymore). He had always hoped there would be a subway series here, but alas, it was not meant to be.

I remember Killebrew with the Twins and a game I went to when he crushed a ball "over everything" in left (as they used to say when it was just the "screen" and no monster seats - in fact, nobody called it the "Green Monster" then...it was just "the Wall"). I think that ball, which got out of there in about 1.5 seconds, is still orbiting the earth today...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Thank you and enjoy the game...live!

Comment

FYI -
                Our Men's Ice Hockey program returns home on Friday October 25th @ 7:00 PM against the University of New Hampshire. Come join us for our Hockey East home opener at a discounted rate. Purchase two tickets online for just $30 (game day retail $46) with NO fees assessed.
                https://merrimackathletics.universit...ckageNewID=102

Comment

Go ahead and trigger them on Mike Epstein - SUPER JEW! His Dad woudlnt let him sign with the Dodgers because he thought he should become a lawyer, and not turn out to be a bum. That is beautiful. This is the richness that we are losing in this world. If you want sanitized, go to Disney World. Lets stop being triggered, grow a pair, go to high school at 7:45 not 8:45, refuse the participation trophy and all the other nonsense.

As the great philosopher Ricky Bobby said - "I mean, I wake up in the morning and I **** excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a--just a big, hairy, American winning machine."

Comment

Robinson in net. Fregona (skating with Crookshank and Blackburn) and Cippolone in. Eriksson and Herrmann out.

—-

End of 1: Shots 6-3, UNH. UNH 1/1 on the PK. UNH 1:58 of PP time to start the second...

End of 2: Tied at 1. Shots 15-10 UNH. UNH 2/2 on the PK. UNH 1/2 on the PP. Gildon (Kelleher, Grasso) with the PPG...
                    Last edited by Dan; 10-18-2019, 07:45 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

While the play is making the game somewhat unwatchable, the feed is absolutely atrocious. Seizure-inducing “skips” in the stream every few seconds. awful.
                      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

2-1 UNH in the 3rd
                        UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          2-1 UNH in the 3rd
                          Kelleher (Pierson, Grasso)
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                            While the play is making the game somewhat unwatchable, the feed is absolutely atrocious. Seizure-inducing “skips” in the stream every few seconds. awful.
                            Game is alot like that....but let's see if we can get em in this PP
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

GAAHH......thanks again Gildon
                              UNH

Comment

Can we just be done with Bentley on our schedule? I don't understand why we always struggle with this team.
                                UNH

Comment

Working...
                                X