Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes early

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

You almost wonder if she has their 2008 primary morons giving her advice again.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

I'm not sure it's wise to assume Clinton s making a big strategic mistake or is receiving bad advice. She is married to a pretty savvy campaigner and has been through a lot of campaigns herself. I suspect they have a plan. Up to this point, Trump has been his own worst enemy, and letting him have the microphone has certainly not helped him directly and it is probably giving Clinton a LOT of material for debates and the home stretch.

Trump has no strategy. I think we should assess Clinton's after the debates.

Comment

While I think she can win with that strategy...she is making it closer than it needs to be for no reason and risking a lot. When she engages she destroys him and forces him into stupid gaffes. She needs to be back in the news for more than just scandals she needs to act as a leader so the people continue to see the difference between the two. Right now it looks like she is hiding...

If her advisers are worth their salary they are planning a big speech somewhere in middle America right now that hits all the points the Reno speech did. She needs to double down on the Drumpf = Racism meme and she need to up the ante on how she is the candidate for ALL Americans, even the ones who disagree with her. She needs to be about inclusion to counter his obvious stance on exclusion.

Oh and just for good measure she should compare him to Brexit and show how everyone in the world, even people who voted FOR Brexit think it was a terrible idea and the consequences of a protest vote. Right now she needs to make sure the undecideds, the third party people and the middle in general understand how things can play out when they make their choice. She needs to do the Anti-Gore, she needs to be out in front, on TV, making sure everyone sees that.

BTW in the polls that have Stein and Johnson in (on 538) she is still doing pretty well. Johnson definitely is hurting Drumpf more than Stein is hurting her.
        Last edited by Handyman; 09-04-2016, 10:44 AM.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          I'm not sure it's wise to assume Clinton s making a big strategic mistake or is receiving bad advice. She is married to a pretty savvy campaigner and has been through a lot of campaigns herself. I suspect they have a plan. Up to this point, Trump has been his own worst enemy, and letting him have the microphone has certainly not helped him directly and it is probably giving Clinton a LOT of material for debates and the home stretch.

Trump has no strategy. I think we should assess Clinton's after the debates.
          That would be fine if the media wasnt looking to destroy her over the emails. (especially the Times) Right now that is dominating the news cycle and it is starting to hurt her numbers. She needs something positive associated with her name to shift the conversation. Drumpf is holding back right now (outside of going to Mexico) she cant hide in a bunker.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            That would be fine if the media wasnt looking to destroy her over the emails. (especially the Times) Right now that is dominating the news cycle and it is starting to hurt her numbers. She needs something positive associated with her name to shift the conversation. Drumpf is holding back right now (outside of going to Mexico) she cant hide in a bunker.
            I think Dick Cheney has rented it out to Mark Levine.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I think you are right there, Handy.

Comment

It isnt All Bad News For Clinton...
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

At this point I wouldn't mind if Clinton just started running as a traditional democratic candidate would. Don't worry a whole lot about winning states that your party hasn't won for 20 or 30 years. Yeah it's great that earlier polls showed her winning Georgia, or South Carolina. Yeah it's great that she's doing better than expected in Arizona. But how about worrying mostly right now about Ohio, PA or Florida. Hell, she isn't even winning Iowa anymore, after leading for most of the summer by 5 and 6 points, and Iowa was among the whitest states (maybe THE whitest?) Obama won in both 08 and 12. If I thought she had a chance at a 1984 or 1972 style landslide I could see hanging on to the fantasy of winning 3 or 4 previously deep red states. The message that would be sent by that is that no matter how conservative some of those states are, maybe they aren't as racist as had been feared. Well, that's proving to be untrue. So for the sake of preserving this place so that in another 4 or 8 years we might try again to actually improve it, I just need her to win.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                    At this point I wouldn't mind if Clinton just started running as a traditional democratic candidate would. Don't worry a whole lot about winning states that your party hasn't won for 20 or 30 years. Yeah it's great that earlier polls showed her winning Georgia, or South Carolina. Yeah it's great that she's doing better than expected in Arizona. But how about worrying mostly right now about Ohio, PA or Florida. Hell, she isn't even winning Iowa anymore, after leading for most of the summer by 5 and 6 points, and Iowa was among the whitest states (maybe THE whitest?) Obama won in both 08 and 12. If I thought she had a chance at a 1984 or 1972 style landslide I could see hanging on to the fantasy of winning 3 or 4 previously deep red states. The message that would be sent by that is that no matter how conservative some of those states are, maybe they aren't as racist as had been feared. Well, that's proving to be untrue. So for the sake of preserving this place so that in another 4 or 8 years we might try again to actually improve it, I just need her to win.
                    I endorse this entirely. Just win. Keep the nutbars away from the Court and the launch codes and worry about the rest later.

The lasting damage of this cycle -- that the deep south and prairie could give a f-ck about "small government" or even "Christian values" and merely vote on pure racist tropes -- can't be unseen by conservative intellectuals. Maybe that recognition, 30 years after the rest of us sussed it out, will inspire a second civil rights movement within their party finally aware of the hatred that still dominates conservative polities (why exempt diapers and laundry detergent from food stamps unless you're making a statement about poverty invoking Reagan's racist welfare queen narrative?). That would be a Good Thing.

But in the meantime, the adults have to stay in charge. Before anything else, this fascist dipsh-t and his merry band of trailer tyrants have to be beaten back. Common sense will destroy them in the long run as long as they gain no power of coercion.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 09-04-2016, 01:36 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      ...... and why Drumpf is a racist *****.
                      Isn't it interesting how tD has been a HUGE public figure for 40+ years and until the machine starting pumping, "racist" has never been used as an adjective nor adverb?

baaaaaaah
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Well he recently said racist things so it's not that hard to figure out. Anyhow back to the comment section for you.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          Isn't it interesting how tD has been a HUGE public figure for 40+ years and until the machine starting pumping, "racist" has never been used as an adjective nor adverb?

baaaaaaah
                          You seem to be a trump supporter, mookie. Do you deny his public proclamations during this campaign regarding mexicans (murderers, rapists, unfair judges) and muslims make him seem intolerant of those groups.

Comment

baaaaaaah
                            David Berkowitz had been around for 25 years but we didn't start calling him a serial killer until he committed multiple murders. What's your point? After a couple of random incidents of racism early in his career that were barely publicized it might even have been unfair to brand Trump as such. Since he announced his intention to run for the presidency it has been one bigoted statement after another and he is fairly considered a racist now by all but the mentally infirm. Even the white nationalists (a cleaned up euphemism for racist bigot) claim him as one of their own.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                              I think it is ironic that the only reason Trump is anywhere near close in the polls is because the democrats nominated the weakest candidate in terms of personal popularity and favorability in my lifetime by a country mile, and the only reason the republicans aren't going to have a 1984 type landslide is they nominated the most unqualified and dangerous candidate a major party has ever chosen, and fortunately we are not yet a country where the majority are knuckle dragging, rebel flag waiving, 88 tat sporting d ou ch e bags.
                              This is about as close to my views as I've read. And that's dam scary as a citizen of this country......
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

baaaaaaah
                                You mean besides when he was nailed for his racist practices in the 70s and 80s? mookie if you are gonna troll you gotta try harder otherwise you are just Frauddude without the weird web sites
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X