X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Does Connelly have access to talk to the goalies or help them in any sort of coaching level?

I’m guessing not, with Winchester as the volunteer coach, the NCAA having rules that they enforce and the fact that I haven’t seen Lebedeff do a spin-o-Rama save.
    A couple things about this:

Connelly can't be on the ice with them at practice coaching, but he can talk with them all he wants. I think it was Mike Valley (could be someone else though) who I heard say that these days, by the time goalies get to D1, they know the techniques and drills and how to play the position. 98% of what they need during the season (and what a goalie coach does) is work and help with the mental aspects of playing goalie. If that is the case then I suppose that Shane is a good resource to do those sorts of things.

On the hockey hour this week, Tony said outright that Shane works with the goalies, presumably in this way. Interesting thing from Oz on the subject. He said that when he worked for Blais, Dean never wanted a goalie coach, nor did he want a lot of specialty training with goalies off on their own. (think like kickers in football that are always off by themselves) Blais wanted his goalies with the team and to be players first, (just like the other players) and goalies second. I'd never heard that take before around the staff, and maybe that explains a little of their thinking on the subject. Blais was a world-class team builder, so I can't say myself that there's not something to that approach.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Good stuff, Wisko
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Matty DSP remains second in the USHL in both goals and points with 12-11-23 in 18gp. Sam Stange is on a tear with 5g in his last 3 and after a slow start on the score sheet has moved into T-12 in goals scored on the season with 9. Stange starting to remind me a little of the Big Pavelski at Waterloo with his great eye-hand coordination and the way he's scoring anywhere from the points right down to the net front.

Caden Brown had a 4 pt night with 2-2 for team USA vs. Muskegon yesterday. Brown has taken over the 2nd line C spot recently after playing down the lineup mostly at wing earlier in the season.
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Corson Ceulemans is the only '03 named to Canada West for the World Junior A Challenge. Canada West opens up against Team USA on Saturday evening in Dawson Creek, BC.

Pretty good stuff from the 16 year old.
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
            https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...a8d8c325175fcc

Sounds like G Rowe, D LaMaster, Laatsch, Kehrer, and F De Saint Phalle, Stange, Malmquist......

Almquist decommitts
            Almquist headed to Minnesota Duluth this coming semester.

Comment

• Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
              Almquist headed to Minnesota Duluth this coming semester.
              I'm not surprised. I honestly thought there would be more. But what happened? 2 years in the USHL, then the past 2 years in the NAHL.

Sandelin probably sees him as "coachable" and Almquist might have looked at UWs season and wondering where the coaching is.

Yep. I still get ornery when perusing UW threads.
              Last edited by MadCityRich; 12-22-2019, 06:13 PM.
              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                I'm not surprised. I honestly thought there would be more. But what happened? 2 years in the USHL, then the past 2 years in the NAHL.

Sandelin probably sees him as "coachable" and Almquist might have looked at UWs season and wondering where the coaching is.

That’s the scary part. Every single recruit, their parents and coaches can see UW is stacked and yet still under .500. Why go there when there are better coaches calling?
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  That’s the scary part. Every single recruit, their parents and coaches can see UW is stacked and yet still under .500. Why go there when there are better coaches calling?
                  I gotta think more dominos will fall in terms of losing recruits. The teams got a load of individual draft picks. Four players on the world juniors. And this is the result on the ice? Its just a major league display of underachievement.

I'd want to go to a team where I play better than I'm supposed to play. Not where I play worse.
                  Not gonna be hard for other coaches to sell that.

Unless they turn it around. Yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

If the suggestion is that Almquist fell out in any way because of the performance of the team so far this season, or dissatisfaction in the coaching staff, I'm pretty sure that is entirely wrong.

Almquist decommitted last spring/summer, it just wasn't reported until recently. He didn't play 2 years of USHL, he played some spring games post HS with Tri City, and a couple of months the next fall trying to catch on with Cedar Rapids. He wasn't having success so he was off to the NAHL where he's had better luck. He's not a Badger because he didn't develop as expected in the year post HS and there wasn't really room to just carry him on the roster for a year or two to see if he eventually pans out. Duluth has both the room and a need for some guys like him at the bottom of the lineup, while UW obviously has neither the room or the need there right now. I thought it was pretty clear when he couldn't get going in the USHL that his chances of being a Badger were looking fairly bleak. He's a good, hardworking kid, so hopefully it all works out for Ben and UMD.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Brayden Morrison has committed to the Badgers.

https://***********/MoBrayden/status...293039106?s=19
                      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

And yes, he is the son of retired NHL all-star, Michigan alum and former national champion Brendan.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...ayden-morrison
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                          Brayden Morrison has committed to the Badgers.

https://***********/MoBrayden/status...293039106?s=19
                          Hmm, lots of penalties, a little over .5 pts per game in scoring. He's 17, so probably 1 more year in AJHL?
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Morrison added to the spreadsheet. Projected him as a '21-'22, but you never know.
                            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              And yes, he is the son of retired NHL all-star, Michigan alum and former national champion Brendan.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...ayden-morrison
                              Seems like this is really flexing some real recruiting muscle. Pops, Brendan Morrison, is a Wolverine legend - All time leader in points, Multi CCHA player of the year, '96 NCAA Tournament MVP while scoring the game winner for the Weasels in the Championship game, '97 Hobey Baker winner. He's like the Ron Dayne of Michigan Hockey and his son just committed to a rival school. Stunning.

Brayden at this point doesn't have the flashy numbers of his dad, but is a real competitor. Be nice to get him in when he's 19 or 20 and have him for 3-4 years.. Back bone of your team kind of kid. Great news for us and should feel crushing to the Weasels, even if he's not a superstar. (yet!)
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Sam Stange, who played high school hockey in Eau Claire along with 8 USHL games last season, and started this season on Sioux City's 4th line is now tied for the lead in goals in the USHL with 17. Two of his goals came in the first six weeks of the season and 15 have come over the last six weeks. He was a great high school multi-sport athlete who is now focused on hockey.

He has signed his NLI with UW.

Comment

Working...
                                X