This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    You just wanted to kill 11. So it seems like this is self solving without a change.
    *shrug* Gotta crack a few eggs if you want an omelette.

80 was a good number to choose and I’m sure there’s more than 11 clubs that can’t even reach the stadium and organizational level of Bournemouth.

But even just dividing up the 92 clubs in the PL and EFL wouldn’t be hard, just be more games. And it wouldn’t be anything new. Contrary to popular belief, automatic promotion into the then Fourth Division from the fifth tier National Conference wasn’t instituted until 1986, back then you had to be “elected” to be promoted. Even nowadays there’s only two teams that are promoted between League Two and the National League.

Most of the clubs League Two and below are pretty mediocre and really aren’t anywhere close to even most League One teams.

(And yes I know Fulham was a fourth tier club. For all of three seasons. And they were in the third tier by the time Al-Fayed bought them)
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

Newcastle plays Man U today. Wonder how bad the Magpies will get beat?
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

mookie, that was terrible.
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
          mookie, that was terrible.
          Been a bad week
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Yesterday afternoon, I caught the first half of Arsenal vs. Manchester United, and I had no idea who to root for. However, I noticed that Arsenal was in control of that match for the first half...

Comment

Soccer Media folks around the world: "The handling rules are not clear enough! We need to clearly define handball rules!"

IFAB: *clearly defines handball rules*

Soccer Media folks around the world after goals are disallowed for violating the clearly defined rules they asked for: "These rules are ridiculous!"

I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                Soccer Media folks around the world: "The handling rules are not clear enough! We need to clearly define handball rules!"

Soccer Media folks around the world after goals are disallowed for violating the clearly defined rules they asked for: "These rules are ridiculous!"

LOL. This is every officiating change ever. How long did the media whine for VAR? Now many microseconds will it take for ESPN to turn against robot umps?
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                  Yesterday afternoon, I caught the first half of Arsenal vs. Manchester United, and I had no idea who to root for. However, I noticed that Arsenal was in control of that match for the first half...
                  That's easy. Always f-ck the Red Devils.

Q: What's the difference between a plane crash and a cow?

A: Manchester United haven't spent the last 58 years milking a cow.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 01-10-2020, 04:52 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

Some of the changes are dumb and create some additional and unnecessary ambiguity. But it also clears up others. I like the change where the arm above the shoulder is always a handball. I've always told people, as long as the arms are uncontrolled, I'm not going to call it. So keep your arms tight and you're fine. Move your arms into the ball and I'll call it every time.

I'm not sure I like this:
                    a player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm
                    and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity

Call it within the spirit and the context. It's not necessary to add these extra "Yeahbuts"

I really like this one though:
                    If the goalkeeper attempts to ‘clear’ (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate
                    kick from a team-mate but the ‘clearance’ fails, the goalkeeper can then handle
                    the ball

Sometimes you just botch a clearance. Can you handle it? Can you not? Glad they cleared this up explicitly.

The goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot on/in line with the goal line
                    when the kick is taken; cannot stand behind the line

Dumb, utterly dumb.

A player who is being substituted must leave the field by the nearest point on the
                    touchline/goal line (unless the referee indicates the player can leave quickly/
                    immediately at the halfway line or a different point because of safety, injury etc.)

THANK GOD

Generally speaking, the rules changes are good this year. Shocking.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      The goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot on/in line with the goal line
                      when the kick is taken; cannot stand behind the line

Dumb, utterly dumb.
                      What do you think they are trying to get at with this? I agree it seems bizarre.

I read around a bit and the community seems mystified as well. My favorite is: "the best way to ensure the goal keep is not in front of the line is to have a foot on the line." Because I guess we've given up on spatial reasoning? Or maybe this is anticipating soccer played on the surface of a Klein bottle where "inside" and "outside" are problematic terms.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 01-16-2020, 09:33 AM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        What do you think they are trying to get at with this? I agree it seems bizarre.

I read around a bit and the community seems mystified as well. My favorite is: "the best way to ensure the goal keep is not in front of the line is to have a foot on the line." Because I guess we've given up on spatial reasoning? Or maybe this is anticipating soccer played on the surface of a Klein bottle where "inside" and "outside" are problematic terms.
                        You sometimes see rule wording done specifically to try and leave no grey area. In doing so, it's easy to lose sight of the advantage/disadvantage view.

My only thought is that they are trying to prevent momentum going towards the ball at the moment of the kick? That can be a slight advantage I guess.
                        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                          You sometimes see rule wording done specifically to try and leave no grey area. In doing so, it's easy to lose sight of the advantage/disadvantage view.

My only thought is that they are trying to prevent momentum going towards the ball at the moment of the kick? That can be a slight advantage I guess.
                          I would always go behind the line because some d-ckhead ref always has to show CoRec 35+ soccer goalie that "He's the boss!!!!!!" and call me for leaving the line early. Which I don't do.

I say everything in the goal is on the field. It's not like leaving the field off the touchlines where it LOOKS like you're not an active player. You're in the farking goal.
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I honestly have no idea. I don't think it offers that much of an advantage if the goalie were to be essentially touching the back of the net and come crashing out by trying to time it perfectly with the kicker. All the kicker has to do is stutter step and all of a sudden the goalie is past the line. There's zero chance the goalie gets an advantage there.

I remember that we've also had the conversation that if a goalie were something like a foot in front of the line, the percentage of "blockable area" was increased almost negligibly. So this whole thing is just a bizarre new rule.
                            Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              I honestly have no idea. I don't think it offers that much of an advantage if the goalie were to be essentially touching the back of the net and come crashing out by trying to time it perfectly with the kicker. All the kicker has to do is stutter step and all of a sudden the goalie is past the line. There's zero chance the goalie gets an advantage there.

I remember that we've also had the conversation that if a goalie were something like a foot in front of the line, the percentage of "blockable area" was increased almost negligibly. So this whole thing is just a bizarre new rule.
                              It’s to prevent gamesmanship by the goalkeeper, same reason that now the posts and crossbar can’t be moving as well (or why the goalkeeper has to be facing forward).

Remember, the LOTG are largely written for the professional level, and at that level this little trivial, negligible stuff really matters.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Also, the IFAB has a really nice PDF presentation explaining the Law changes with video examples.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X