Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard 2019-20 (Moving On)

Originally posted by 2GirlsinHKY View Post
    This game had originally been set up for Tuesday, but has been re-scheduled to New Year's Eve. Perfect way to ring in the new year!
    Thank you. Can't imagine being anywhere other than Conte Forum on New Year's Eve day!

Comment

I don't understand why the Crimson have four out of conference games on the road and only one at home (UNH on the 23rd). Usually we split home and home with BU and BC. Oh well, all the more satisfying when we win on the road against our Boston brethren.

Comment

I was hoping to get to the lesser end of Comm Ave last night to see how our D would hold up, but I didn’t and they didn’t. Very hard to tell from the screen who wasn’t where they should have been on the PK, to say nothing of the shortie, and there was no help from the crayon guys in the booth (why can’t there be a play-by-play pre-season boot camp?). But special teams need to be special. BU is strong and fast, and we more than skated with them, until we didn’t. And T3 was right about Compher and BU’s fortunes. If this is how she gets back into shape . . .

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
          Very hard to tell from the screen who wasn’t where they should have been on the PK...
          Tell me again what a PK is.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Tell me again what a PK is.
            Patty Kazmeier, though I'm not sure of the relevance here.

Comment

This started out on the Scores thread as an East meets Midwest tone of voice thing, which is actually pretty interesting. But we’re now all good, as they say in the West.
              Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 11-20-2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                Patty Kazmeier, though I'm not sure of the relevance here.
                You caught me napping.
                The relevance, now that you mention it, is that a potential PK made hash of our PK . . . and PP for that matter!
                Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 11-20-2019, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Harvard is coming into the Thrilla in Nashvilla a little punch-drunk after consecutive knockdowns. I didn’t see the UNH game, but it should have been a sparring, tune-up session at worst, not another encounter with the mat. (While the box score shows that Bloomer will not be denied, the absence of Tresca is ominous.) We’re not looking good going into Grand Ole Opry land. But does it matter? The whole thing should be the kind of fun the players always say they just wanna have. And, go BC! (We will see you down the road.)

I’m too sensible and too old to fly anywhere Thanksgiving week, but no doubt some foolish youngsters from the midwest (and maybe from the Heights) are making the trip, so please, KEEP US POSTED. I don’t see that there’s any coverage anywhere. And you guys will surely let us know what Harvard does and does not have seven games into its season. (I italicize in order to tone down my own expectations as well as to qualify any damage the real heavyweights do.) I’m actually looking forward to having some seasoned WCHA eyes evaluate this team.

BTW, in a hopeful post last year about hockey gene pools I mentioned that then Crimson freshman Kyra Willoughby’s grandfather was the highest scorer on the 1968 Olympic team. Bluffrinkrat (I believe) replied that Taylor Williamson’s grandfather was the coach of that same team. Too bad these Olympic grandkids are missing out by one year on what would have been a notable collegiate face-off in Nashville.

Happy T-Day.

Comment

Harvard is coming into the Thrilla in Nashvilla a little punch-drunk after consecutive knockdowns. I didn’t see the UNH game, but it should have been a sparring, tune-up session at worst, not another encounter with the mat. (While the box score shows that Bloomer will not be denied, the absence of Tresca is ominous.) We’re not looking good going into Grand Ole Opry land. But does it matter? The whole thing should be the kind of fun the players always say they just wanna have. And, go BC! (We will see you down the road.)

I’m too sensible and too old to fly anywhere Thanksgiving week, but no doubt some foolish youngsters from the midwest (and maybe from the Heights) are making the trip, so please, KEEP US POSTED. I don’t see that there’s any coverage anywhere. And you guys will surely let us know what Harvard does and does not have seven games into its season. (I italicize in order to tone down my own expectations as well as to qualify any damage the real heavyweights do.) I’m actually looking forward to having some seasoned WCHA eyes evaluate this team.

BTW, in a hopeful post last year about hockey gene pools I mentioned that then Crimson freshman Kyra Willoughby’s grandfather was the highest scorer on the 1968 Olympic team. Bluffrinkrat (I believe) replied that Taylor Williamson’s grandfather was the coach of that same team. Too bad these Olympic grandkids are missing out by one year on what would have been a notable collegiate face-off in Nashville.

Happy T-Day.
                    Happy Thanksgiving ... hoping everyone is safe and with family this weekend. The storms cutting across middle America look fierce.

I saw the UNH game and there were several issues, not the least of which Lindsey Reed letting in a five hole goal to extend the UNH lead to 3-1. Reed has to play better if Harvard has any postseason thoughts. Another issue is the D giving up the blue line way too easily. UNH had too many forays into the offensive zone with zero resistance. The Crimson need better D structure. And finally, they have the skill up front to be much better than what they have shown in the past two games. Some offensive creativity would help. And getting tougher in front of the opposing goalie would help as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                      (1) I saw the UNH game and there were several issues, not the least of which Lindsey Reed letting in a five hole goal to extend the UNH lead to 3-1. Reed has to play better if Harvard has any postseason thoughts.
                      (2) Another issue is the D giving up the blue line way too easily. UNH had too many forays into the offensive zone with zero resistance.
                      (3) The Crimson need better D structure.
                      (4) And finally, they have the skill up front to be much better than what they have shown in the past two games. Some offensive creativity would help.
                      (5) And getting tougher in front of the opposing goalie would help as well.
                      Geez Skate if they could do all that they'd be unbeatable!
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Geez Skate if they could do all that they'd be unbeatable!
                        I don't think any of my suggestions are unrealistic. If you want to compete in D-1 and be a national contender, these are the simple but important facets of the game that have to be addressed.

Comment

Someone on this thread has to acknowledge what went on in Nashville, just for the record.

One eyewitness said Harvard (excepting Reed) was the worst team he’d seen all season! I have no grounds on which to dispute his viewing experience (he did say it was a small sample size), but he is a Gopher fan and no doubt was sorry that Harvard, down a whopping 1-0 after two periods, was not likely to upset the Badgers. A Badger fan, on the other hand, applauded his team’s ability to hold up to pressure all weekend, implying that Harvard did play some serious hockey on occasion. My take is that the Crimson, however ragged, would not find themselves at the bottom of the WCHA.

Three of the four freshman playing against these two behemoths had seen limited ice time this season, and one of them was playing in her third and fourth game. Would Tresca’s presence have changed either outcome? Probably not. Would Tresca’s presence have changed the flow of Harvard’s offense? Undoubtedly.

Reed has averaged 45 saves in three games against Wisconsin.

The always huge (for Harvard, anyway) BC game is now huger than ever, however intangible the reasons.

But there’s no one left to intimidate/exhaust us. Been there, done that.

Comment

But there’s no one left to intimidate/exhaust us. Been there, done that.
                            Agreed...Playing two games against Wisconsin and Minnesota, who have the deepest teams in all of women's D1 hockey, was a difficult task.

They had a difficult time handling the speed and puck possession of Wisconsin in the first game. According to the box score the shots were 57-15 and it was that lopsided a game with, as you mentioned, the caveat that they were only down 1-0 going into the third period. By the third period, they were worn down.

They appeared to be better able to hang with Minnesota, as least in the first half of the game on Saturday but again by the third period they appeared to be out of gas. This game, they were outshot 43-21. Somehwat better, but still too many shots given up. It is asking a lot of your goaltender to hang in there with the total amount of shot differential (64) on the weekend.
                            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I was impressed with Harvard after watching them this weekend in Nashville.

First things first, I wouldn't put too much stock in the shot disparities. There didn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason to how shots were being counted. The game didn't feel that lopsided. Yes, the Badgers are very good at shooting a bunch without scoring, but that really wasn't the case here.

I can tell you that in post-game on Saturday, the Crimson players were really pumped up. Despite results, they gained a lot of confidence from the weekend. They weren't totally outclassed - they played with the two top teams in the country and though there were clearly some parts of the game that UM and UW were better at, Harvard held up and played well. I got the impression that they felt like if they had done this well here, they should be more dominant in their conference games. We'll see how that played out, but after all was said and done, I talked to Petrie and Peper and they were in really good spirits and feeling like the weekend was an overall win.
                              It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
                                I was impressed with Harvard after watching them this weekend in Nashville.

First things first, I wouldn't put too much stock in the shot disparities. There didn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason to how shots were being counted. The game didn't feel that lopsided. Yes, the Badgers are very good at shooting a bunch without scoring, but that really wasn't the case here.

I can tell you that in post-game on Saturday, the Crimson players were really pumped up. Despite results, they gained a lot of confidence from the weekend. They weren't totally outclassed - they played with the two top teams in the country and though there were clearly some parts of the game that UM and UW were better at, Harvard held up and played well. I got the impression that they felt like if they had done this well here, they should be more dominant in their conference games. We'll see how that played out, but after all was said and done, I talked to Petrie and Peper and they were in really good spirits and feeling like the weekend was an overall win.
                                That's right. Stay positive !

Ok then.......

Comment

Working...
                                X