Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Originally posted by timothy a View Post
    yikes and away!
    Hahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
      For whatever reason, the Buckeyes have struggled against the so called weaker teams and last weekend was a continuation of last year or so it appears. Would the coach have made a difference, you would think so but again this has become a bit of a pattern for OSU. I would expect to see a very motivated team for their series against the Gophers this weekend with or without the HC. A couple of losses could knock them out of the top 10.
      I think Coach would have made a difference because this is a young team. No one ever brings that up, myself included, because I don't want to use that as an excuse, but 15 of the 24 players on this team are freshmen or sophomores.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
        I think Coach would have made a difference because this is a young team. No one ever brings that up, myself included, because I don't want to use that as an excuse, but 15 of the 24 players on this team are freshmen or sophomores.
        I totally agree. Harrington has seen it all and has learned from some coaching geniuses, the 2 gals who ran OSU last weekend are not even on the same planet as him. OSU's assistants are probably the least experienced in the wwcha, which might actually be a detriment overall to the program. And with all the turnover with the staff, the players had to feel like, "Really, what else can possibly go haywire?" It had to have been a major distraction. We're talking about humans and not mindless robots like the rodent have.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Muzz did post-game interviews that are posted with the game recap, so I assume that means she was on the bench.
          It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
            Muzz did post-game interviews that are posted with the game recap, so I assume that means she was on the bench.
            I'm pretty sure that I saw her on the bench at one of the numerous times that the camera was pointed somewhere other than the action.

Comment

Coach was there, and anyone who listened to the postgame interview could figure out that she was sick last week as she could barely talk tonight. Sounded like she was getting over a bad case of laryngitis. Tonight's game went to Ohio State by a final score of 4-3. Ohio State struck first less than two minutes into the game on a goal by Liz Schepers to go up 1-0. Grace Zumwinkle answered for Minnesota late in the period to tie it at 1-1 at the first intermission. I have read some Minnesota posters on here say that she has the hardest shot they have seen. Count me in that crowd, too. Andrea Braendli is a solid backstop for our team, but she had no answer for the rocket off Zumwinkle's stick. Ohio State came out firing in the second period and scored the first two goals of the period to go up 3-1. Those goals were scored by Gabby Rosenthal and Emma Maltais. The Gophers answered with another blast from Grace Zumwinkle to cut the deficit to 3-2 and that is how the second period ended. The score stayed that way until less than ten minutes remained in the third period when Minnesota's Emily Oden scored to knot things up at 3-3. Two minutes later, Liz Schepers scored her second goal of the night to put the Buckeyes ahead to stay and send the home crowd into a frenzy that lasted until the final horn. Shots on goal were fairly even with the Gophers winning that battle 36-31. Special teams did not really play much of a role tonight. Minnesota had three power plays to the Buckeyes one and the Gophers did score on one of those power plays. Gopher goalie Sydney Scobee stopped 27 of the 31 shots she faced. Buckeye backstop Andrea Braendli stopped 33 of the 36 shots she faced. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:07 pm.
              Last edited by osualum86; 10-26-2019, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, October 25th
                Ohio State 4
                Minnesota 3

Homecoming Fun

Time flies when you're having fun. Last night's game flew by.

Alumni weekend is always cool. This year a group of Buckeye Favorites came back sporting their old letter jackets. Positioned on the glass, they were jamming with the Pep Band. Heck, they were jamming with the canned music too. And exhorting the current players on to victory. Call me sentimental, but I found it inspirational.

The players on the ice were indeed inspired, whatever the exact source of their motivation. Fast start, good compete level all night long. Many puck battles won.

Taking the early lead was big. The Buckeyes forced the Gophers to play catch-up for most of the game. Twice, the Gophers pulled even. Twice, the Buckeyes had satisfying answers.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Minnesota Honorable Mention: Emily Brown
                Emily had the primary assist on two Gopher Goals. Just as importantly, my eye says she was the strongest and steadiest of the Gopher defenders. Brown finished the game at +1 in a losing effort. The +/- stat can be misleading at times, but not in this case.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Andrea Braendli
                Facing the Gopher firepower can be humbling. And yes, Andrea had a few bites of that pie. But you know what? So did the Gopher snipers. Braendli gave up two goals to Minnesota's Top Gun. But she also had 8 saves against that same Star.

Andrea clearly outplayed the Gopher keeper and was one of tonight's difference-makers. 33 Saves on 36 Shots proved to be a solid night's work; good enough to win. You might say that Braendli went down the Highway to the Danger Zone, and survived very nicely.

#3 Star: (tie)Paetyn Levis, Ohio State and Gabby Rosenthal, Ohio State
                Along with linemate Brooke Bink, Levis & Rosenthal forechecked liked demons from start to finish. It paid off with the goal that restored the Buckeye lead at 2-1. Paetyn created the turnover along the right boards, sending the puck down low to Gabby. Gabby calmly stuffed it in.

Satisfying answer.

#2 Star: (tie) Grace Zumwinkle, Minnesota and Grace Zumwinkle, Minnesota
                Grace is the aforementioned Top Gun. Twice over.

When she sets up in the left circle for one-timers on the PP, it's pretty awesome. Gopher fans of a certain age might remember that Tim Harrer of the Men's Program excelled at this. Zumwinkle is of that caliber, and likely has better reach. Anyhow, that was the set-up on Zumwinkle's PP Goal. Grace launched her rocket, and the speed & power somehow got the puck through the five hole.

Zumwinkle's 5x5 Goal was equally dynamic. Taking a head-man pass from Emily Brown, Grace carried the puck most of the length of the ice. Once in shooting position, the puck exploded off her stick and into the opposite side of the net.

#1 Star: Liz Schepers, Ohio State
                Not only was Liz the #1 Star, she was the Alpha & the Omega tonight. She opened the scoring less than 2 minutes into the game. It can be tough to discern exactly what happens in a goal mouth scramble. But it looked like Liz essentially poke-checked the puck into the net. Huge adrenaline boost. Set the tone for the match.

At the other end of the game, Schepers had the finishing touch on a true team effort. Sophie Jaques gained possession at the defensive blue line, and earned the 2nd Assist by sending Emma Maltais on her way. Maltais gained the zone, and carried down the right wing. Now Tatum Skaggs didn't earn an assist on the play; you've gotta touch the puck for that. But she certainly earned a mention. Tatum aggressively charged toward the net, taking the Gopher defense with her. That left plenty of room in the high slot for Liz. As we've grown so accustomed to, Emma made the perfect pass. With a calm hesitation move, Schepers had the Gopher Goalie going down. With that advantage gained, Liz smartly deposited the puck into the right side of the net. Lead restored at 4-3. That lead stood up.

Satisfying answer. Very satisfying answer.

Up Next: Rematch With Minnesota. With Luck, Daddy Will Let Us Keep The T-Bird For At Least One More Day Before Taking It Away. And According To The PA Announcer, You Can Park That T-Bird In The Lane Avenue Ramp For Free When Arriving For The Hockey Game. (Despite The Football Saturday)

Postscript: The Numerals On This Year's Black Jerseys Are Perfectly Legible. If You Had Trouble Seeing Said Numbers, Please Stop By The Highly Regarded OSU Optometry Clinic For An Examination.

Comment

OSU’s insta for the past 24 hours had me smiling. Looks like a great alumni event and the Back in Black music with the jerseys was great, as well as capturing the emotion of the final seconds of the game.

Comment

It must be a nightmare having todays game across the street from the biggest football game of the year so far. Anyone get to their parking spot before sunrise?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                      It must be a nightmare having todays game across the street from the biggest football game of the year so far. Anyone get to their parking spot before sunrise?
                      We got lucky today because we did not necessarily get there as early as we wanted to (slept through the 5:30 am alarm), but we did get a spot in the parking garage on Lane Avenue across the street from The Point. We pushed the button and got the ticket, then went we went to the machine to pay when we left and there was a sign saying no charge today, so that was nice. Normally when there is a home football game we have to pay the same $20 as everyone else.

Comment

The Gophers earned a split this weekend with a 4-2 win earlier today. Ohio State opened the scoring on a goal by Jenn Gardiner, her first as a Buckeye. The first period would end that way with the Buckeyes up 1-0. The Gophers got two goals in the second period from Grace Zumwinkle and Amy Potomak to take a 2-1 lead into the second intermission. Minnesota was not done as they scored two more in the third period to go up 4-1. The Gopher goals were scored by Grace Zumwinkle and Taylor Heise. Ohio State got a late goal from Liz Schepers to pull within 4-2 and that is how it ended. Minnesota won the shots on goal battle in this one 37-27. Minnesota goaltender Sydney Scobee stopped 25 of the 27 shots she faced. Ohio State netminder Andrea Braendli stopped 33 of the 37 shots she faced. Minnesota returns home next weekend to take on Wisconsin. Ohio State travels to Bemidji to take on the Beavers.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, October 26th
                          Minnesota 4
                          Ohio State 2

The Grace Zumwinkle Show

Of course Minnesota won Saturday's game as a team. But they clearly doubled-down on creating chances for Zumwinkle. Solid choice; she's an amazing offensive talent.

There were some parallels to Friday's game. Once again the Buckeyes took an early lead. Once again the Gophers pulled even. But this time Minnesota played better team defense, and held Ohio State's top scorers mostly in check. To the Buckeyes credit, they never quit; and eventually did break through for a second goal late in the final period.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Liz Schepers
                          Liz bagged the late Buckeye goal on a wrap around play. Consistently a leader by example, Schepers once again produced.

Minnesota Honorable Mention: Taylor Wente
                          Strong back-checking by the Gopher centers bolstered the Gopher defensive effort. #28 played with great determination in all three zones. Taylor was also a solid 14 of 24 in the face-off circle.

#3 Star: Jen Gardiner, Ohio State
                          Forecheck pressure helped produce the game's first goal. A misplayed Gopher pass wound up on Jen's stick, and she promptly converted the opportunity into an unassisted tally. It was Freshman Gardiner's first goal as a Buckeye. Jen's journey to Columbus originated in Surrey, British Columbia. Welcome to Ohio State, Jen!

#2 Star: (tie) Taylor Heise, Minnesota and Sarah Potomak Minnesota
                          The Zumwinkle Linemates were each Stars themselves. Sarah had a pair of primary assists; Taylor had a goal of her own. And of course Heise was one of those Minnesota centers who played the whole 200 feet.

#1 Star: Grace Zumwinkle, Minnesota
                          Officially Grace had 18 Shots on Goal for the series. There may have been more. Certainly there were many blocked shots and near misses to consider as well. Zumwinkle is simply a constant threat on offense. All that activity produced 4 goals this weekend. Compounding the defensive dilemma is the fact that Grace just may have the hardest shot in the WCHA.

Perhaps ironically, the most impressive Minnesota goal was the Zumwinkle tap-in. With Patti Marshall & Sarah Potomak playmaking on the left side of the O-Zone, Grace sped into position on the right post. Sarah's cross slot pass was fast-paced & perfectly placed. Zumwinkle tapped the puck in with authority, completing the backdoor play.

Perhaps appropriately, it proved to be the GWG.

Up Next: Road Trip To Bemidji.

Comment

I still say with the football game Saturday would it have taken a lot of thought to make it a Friday/Sunday schedule?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                              I still say with the football game Saturday would it have taken a lot of thought to make it a Friday/Sunday schedule?
                              I don't necessarily disagree with you on this, but I don't think the visiting team would go for that. I think it has been done before, though, by other schools. Another thing you have to keep in mind, and Pgb has brought this up previously IIRC, is the alums who are coming in from out of town like to go to the football game.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                                I don't necessarily disagree with you on this, but I don't think the visiting team would go for that. I think it has been done before, though, by other schools. Another thing you have to keep in mind, and Pgb has brought this up previously IIRC, is the alums who are coming in from out of town like to go to the football game.
                                The men's team does the Fri/Sun when necessary so why not the women? Gender equity I say!

Comment

Working...
                                X