Why hasn't U.Conn made the jump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why hasn't U.Conn made the jump?

Seems like nowadays the gold standard for athletic departments is to have 3 constant revenue generating sports(football, basketball, w.basketball/hockey). Only a handful of schools have this. Seems like U.Conn could trump all those by having 4 with a larger profile hockey program. So I ask why hasn't U.Conn made a bigger commitment to hockey? The fact that they are a large, name recognized school it would seem like they would be a right fit for a power conference like Hockey East. Have they ever applied?(I do realize their rink is fairly small). They also have a fairly decent recruiting base within the state and nearby.(I believe there's 15-20 Conn. natives playing D-1 hockey). Or do the higher up not want hockey to steal basketball's thunder? I've been following college hockey fairly well for the last 20 years, but this program has been one that always puzzled me.

Re: Why hasn't U.Conn made the jump?

Search the forum. I believe Patman has explained this several hundred times.

Comment

i for one would like for mohegan sun or foxwoods to lay ice and offer a home rink for UConn men's hockey!
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I stopped when you called hockey and women's basketball "revenue-generating sports."
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
          Search the forum. I believe Patman has explained this several hundred times.
          I want my five years back.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
            I stopped when you called hockey and women's basketball "revenue-generating sports."
            Some of our hockey programs do actually generate quite a bit of revenue...

And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but don't quite a few WBB programs make a profit as well?
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
              Some of our hockey programs do actually generate quite a bit of revenue...

And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but don't quite a few WBB programs make a profit as well?
              if UT had pimped out sheryl swoops, i would have paid.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                Not many, but UConn's does turn a sizeable profit. I imagine Tennessee does as well.

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                i for one would like for mohegan sun or foxwoods to lay ice and offer a home rink for UConn men's hockey!
                Mohegan Sun Arena isn't structurally big enough for a rink. It's built as a bball only arena. I suppose Foxwoods could, but even then, games would be held 40 minutes away from campus (and an annoying drive from Storrs down Route 32) in a very unpopulated part of the state, both of which are not exactly the best ways to build a fan base. Just renovate the ice arena, or build a new rink (though UConn has already made it clear they will make no investment in the program) over there, there's a butt load of room behind the soccer stadium.
                time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                  Mohegan Sun Arena isn't structurally big enough for a rink. It's built as a bball only arena. I suppose Foxwoods could, but even then, games would be held 40 minutes away from campus (and an annoying drive from Storrs down Route 32) in a very unpopulated part of the state, both of which are not exactly the best ways to build a fan base. Just renovate the ice arena, or build a new rink (though UConn has already made it clear they will make no investment in the program) over there, there's a butt load of room behind the soccer stadium.
                  I always liked that drive (on my way to Avery Point).... but yeah, kinda desolate.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                    I always liked that drive (on my way to Avery Point).... but yeah, kinda desolate.
                    You're right, it's a nice drive through the quieter and greener part of the state, but when you're trying to actually get somewhere down there in any form of quick manner, going 55 down Route 32 and stopping at random traffic lights is a bit irritating.
                    time to write new history

Comment

Not one dime

Comment

UConn has given zero support to their hockey program and quite frankly, why should they given the success of their BB programs. Men's hockey is one of the few sports that covers its costs for most schools (and turns sizeable profit for others). However, a lot of programs don't make nearly enough in men's hockey to cover the losses of women's hockey.

If UConn could actually compete and excel in the AHA, the school might turn over a new leaf and start supporting the program. With the additions to the AHA, don't count on that to happen.
                        Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                        10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                        5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                        21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                        ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                        ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                        7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                        National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

zero chance in getting in Hockey East

Comment

Their womens program is already in Hockey East so the added cost of that would not be a factor ... there wouldn't be any!

As to the men ... It should of happened a long time ago ... the fact that it didn't means that it won't!

Actually all of the above could also be applied to Syracuse ... except for the already in Hockey East part.

Comment

Perrenial mid-to-bottom dweller in the weakest conference in college hockey.

Very modest facilities (except in AHA).

Minimal scholarship support.

Modest fan support, with weak attendence (except in AHA.)

The above does not describe a very strong contender for Hockey East inclusion. Slapping a "UConn" label on it does not change that (IMO.) There's a saying about lipstick and a pig.....?

The above describes a very good fit for Atlantic Hockey, which is why they are a great fit right where they are today. Don't mean to slam UConn at all, I love having them on my alma mater's schedule every year. But I just think they are a terrible fit for HE with the exception of the label on the front of the box.
                              Bentley University Hockey
                              On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Working...
                              X