X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    Exactly. Fwiw I emailed JK but I have no illusion he'll actually read it much less respond
    he never has responded to me, but I know he has responded to others.
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by drop_the_puck View Post
      I literally just read an article about how Barry brought the football program back from a level of apathy that is exactly where the hockey program is headed. He may not be a good AD, but he should know what it takes to turn a program back in the right direction. However, that would require caring about said program in the first place.
      Read the same article and had that exact same thought while reading it.
      I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by drop_the_puck View Post
        I literally just read an article about how Barry brought the football program back from a level of apathy that is exactly where the hockey program is headed. He may not be a good AD, but he should know what it takes to turn a program back in the right direction. However, that would require caring about said program in the first place.
        Originally posted by Almington View Post
        Football (and Basketball for that matter) have the significant advantage of massive media coverage that helps keep the program in the public's view as things improve, that isn't going to happen with the hockey program going forward.
        I was about to reply with what Almington said. If a college football team is garbage for years and years and years, the fans will see college football as a big deal. They'll just know that the program is garbage. By putting the pieces in place to start winning, it's a lot easier to get football fans back on board as the turnaround happens. If the equivalent tools are in place for a hockey team in the same spot, it will be much harder for them to take the next steps, and most fans won't be on board.

Do you guys remember the 2013-14 season? That was one of the best teams in the country. Forget the cliches about "winning the big one." They lost one game against a decent UND team, but prior to that one game, they were 4th in the whole country. They came off of an exciting conference tournament win, and had "a #1 seed" in the national tournament. Typical sports fans around town who weren't actively seeking hockey news just kind of assumed the team was in the middle of the pack going into the tournament. Meanwhile, @UWMadison, @WisconsinBadgers, and their equivalent facebook accounts were going NUTS when the basketball team was in the same spot. It was absolutely impossible to miss. This isn't just about college basketball being more popular than college hockey. Among students, the basketball team wasn't important to most students during my freshman year, 2011-12. Students were attempting to give tickets away to games all the time, and enthusiasm surrounding the team was incredibly tepid. An increase in success and a little hype changed all of that. When the hockey team had the same level of success, people were pretty much only aware of it if their hockey-loving friends talked about it all the time.

At this point, of course, the problems run deep, which compounds the difficulty of reviving the program, [big number]-fold.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          he never has responded to me, but I know he has responded to others.
          He actually called me, we discussed a few issues with the UW women's program (schedule and lack of band). He was nice. He blamed Lecrone for the band thing and said they are trying not to schedule stupid Friday aft games. Anyway, the email I just sent him was a lot tougher than that one. I got an auto-reply that he's out of the office until July 8th. Keep sending them, fill his in box.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

awesome TimothyA! I emailed him (King) a couple of hours ago and got the out-of-office response as well.

I'm worried they really think they can head into this season with Eaves and somehow he can turn things around. I honestly think it's impossible for Eaves to do that. He's poisoned the well and it will be up to someone else to repair and rebuild.

Remember when Boston College was sort of moribund for a decade (possibly more?)? yeah, that was pre-Jerry York, pre-Marty Reasoner era...that just may be where Wisconsin is right now. Entering a decade of ****. Absolute ****.
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

4 wins may be a good season at this point. Every time I get an email saying last chance to get season tickets, I am more resigned to the fact I made the right choice to scrap the tixs. I really don't blame Opika for bailing a dumpster fire with a dead man walking as head coach. The blame really falls at the feet of Alvarez and the athletic department for completely misreading the landscape of the program. The fan base, potential recruits, and alumni (players) have abandon the program in mass. Most no longer believe that it was just a down year and Eaves will turn things around and rebound ever much less quickly. At some point, whether Eaves is a "good" coach, knows his x's and o's, is great with cliché's doesn't matter if no one will come play for him. Everyone loses guys to the OHL at some point (or even a verbal commit to another school), but the recent quality/quantity of that happening at UW is a telltale sign of where the program is at.

Wisconsin hockey edges closer and closer to the dark days of the Blackhawks when I finally abandoned a part of a season ticket package to the Hawks and traded my entertainment dollars into getting season tickets to the Badgers the season they moved into the Kohl. Rock bottom will be when there are as many rodent or sue fans in the Kohl as there are Badger fans like when Wing fans outnumbered Hawk fans in the United Center.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                4 wins may be a good season at this point. Every time I get an email saying last chance to get season tickets, I am more resigned to the fact I made the right choice to scrap the tixs. I really don't blame Opika for bailing a dumpster fire with a dead man walking as head coach. The blame really falls at the feet of Alvarez and the athletic department for completely misreading the landscape of the program. The fan base, potential recruits, and alumni (players) have abandon the program in mass. Most no longer believe that it was just a down year and Eaves will turn things around and rebound ever much less quickly. At some point, whether Eaves is a "good" coach, knows his x's and o's, is great with cliché's doesn't matter if no one will come play for him. Everyone loses guys to the OHL at some point (or even a verbal commit to another school), but the recent quality/quantity of that happening at UW is a telltale sign of where the program is at.

Wisconsin hockey edges closer and closer to the dark days of the Blackhawks when I finally abandoned a part of a season ticket package to the Hawks and traded my entertainment dollars into getting season tickets to the Badgers the season they moved into the Kohl. Rock bottom will be when there are as many rodent or sue fans in the Kohl as there are Badger fans like when Wing fans outnumbered Hawk fans in the United Center.
                I should have scrapped them too. I renewed, but I gave up friday. Will keep the saturday seats and see what happens after this year.
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

I should have scrapped them too. I renewed, but I gave up friday. Will keep the saturday seats and see what happens after this year.
                  My thoughts were that following last years abomination with another mediocre year (which is slowly turning into more likely another abomination then even a double digit win season) would erode the season ticket base so far, that you'll have choice of virtually whatever seats you want if things turn around and are on the upswing with a new coach, quality recruiting, and positive results start showing on the ice. At this point with the hole dug as deep as it is, even a home run hire (after this season) as coach will take some time to turn things around. This offseason was the year to get a Granatoesque guy as head guy, let him hire absolute elite assistants, and hopefully add a couple good pieces while also not losing others already in the program/committed. Instead we have a lame duck coach, have good/solid assistants (by virtue of overpaying and unprecedented 2 year deals), and have roster players, commits, potential recruits going elsewhere. I'll come back when the product on the ice is watchable, instead of a boring style combined with division 3 talent filling far to many of the roster spots.
                  Last edited by markwojo; 07-02-2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

mark, everything you say makes sense. I needed this advice last week

Comment

mark, everything you say makes sense. I needed this advice last week
                      Last week we still has some hope, with not so much good news, but the absence of disasters and public errors. This week we are right back to disasters and public errors.

Just waiting for UW to announce that the UW athletic ticket database has been hacked and our CC information has been compromised (but just for the hockey fans). Then again, the athletic department may not even notice.

Comment

There is an extremely tight timetable right now to find a goalie. Not only do you have to recruit one out of thin air, but you have to get him accepted to school. We know how hard it is to get some kids into UW. Coaching staff better be BURNING up phone lines right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                          There is an extremely tight timetable right now to find a goalie. Not only do you have to recruit one out of thin air, but you have to get him accepted to school. We know how hard it is to get some kids into UW. Coaching staff better be BURNING up phone lines right now.
                          I get the sense a Brian Elliott isn't going to appear out of thin air this go around.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                            Garrett Metcalf - did he sign a NLI to Lowell yet?

Comment

Garrett Metcalf - did he sign a NLI to Lowell yet?
                              That's the name I guessed on Twitter. I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                                I get the sense a Brian Elliott isn't going to appear out of thin air this go around.
                                And whomever it is doesn't have an All-American they can sit behind for two years.

Comment

Working...
                                X