Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

The rankings are fun this week.

I think I can guess that Wisconsin has all first and second votes; 8 firsts and 7 seconds gets the right point total.

And 6 firsts, 6 seconds and 3 thirds gets the right point total for Minnesota. But after that...

One first, 3 thirds and 11 fourths gets the right total for Cornell. And Ohio State must have at least one third place vote, or two fourth place (and likely more), but five minutes of guessing gets me no further than that.

Also, I was looking at RPI and Pairwise a bit last night. If we get a Wisconsin-Minnesota split this weekend, Cornell could be #1 in the Pairwise a week from now.

Comment

Nice job, robertearle, on getting the math of the top of this week's vote totals spot on.

USCHO Division I Women's Poll - January 20, 2020
      Rnk Team (Last Poll)
      1 Wisconsin (2)
      2 Minnesota (1)
      3 Northeastern (3)
      4 Cornell (4)
      5 Ohio State (5)
      6 Princeton (6)
      7 Clarkson (7)
      7 Boston University (8)
      9 Minnesota Duluth (10)
      10 Harvard (9)

Others receiving votes: Quinnipiac 7, Boston College 2, Colgate 1, Bemidji State 1

As one would expect Wisconsin, who was idle this past week, takes the No. 1 ranking from Minnesota, which falls to No. 2 after splitting with Ohio State. No changes from Nos. 3 to 6, but Boston University moves into a tie with Clarkson at No. 7. And after sweeping a tough series with Bemidji State Minnesota Duluth finally escapes the No. 10 spot, taking No. 9 away from Harvard which falls to No. 10.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        No changes from Nos. 3 to 6, but Boston University moves into a tie with Clarkson at No. 7. And after sweeping a tough series with Bemidji State Minnesota Duluth finally escapes the No. 10 spot, taking No. 9 away from Harvard which falls to No. 10.
        Was disappointed the Beavers didn't get it done when they had a chance to likely earn a Top 10 spot if they had swept UMD. Now the focus has to be on earning home ice in the first round of the WCHA playoffs.

And what does OSU have to do to move into the top 4? I get MN dropping but how does OSU not move up after upsetting MN?

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
          And what does OSU have to do to move into the top 4? I get MN dropping but how does OSU not move up after upsetting MN?
          Must be because Northeastern and Cornell keep winning?

Comment

the bigger mystery to me is how does Cornell end up #4?
            IMO, they should be #3 minimum, and a strong argument could made made for #1

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
              the bigger mystery to me is how does Cornell end up #4?
              IMO, they should be #3 minimum, and a strong argument could made made for #1
              Question: do you feel number of games is a factor? Cornell has played 5 less games than OSU and will have played 5 less at the end of the season. Shouldn't more games be a plus in a team's favor? For OSU that's 5 more games in which they have to fend off an upset or play a higher ranked team. I honestly have no idea but my gut tells me more games is tougher and should boost a team's ranking.

Comment

Cornell has played 5 less games than OSU and will have played 5 less at the end of the season. Shouldn't more games be a plus in a team's favor? For OSU that's 5 more games in which they have to fend off an upset or play a higher ranked team.
                The comparison in question, I believe, is Cornell versus #3 Northeastern. For example, Cornell is currently #3 in KRACH. Wisconsin is #1 with roughly a 300-point gap back to Minnesota and a similar margin between Minnesota and Cornell. OSU is #4 in KRACH, with the Big Red holding a lead of nearly 800 points, and Northeastern another 350 points back.

At least as far as KRACH is concerned, Cornell belongs more in a conversation about Wisconsin and Minnesota than it does in a comparison with Ohio State and Northeastern.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  The comparison in question, I believe, is Cornell versus #3 Northeastern. For example, Cornell is currently #3 in KRACH. Wisconsin is #1 with roughly a 300-point gap back to Minnesota and a similar margin between Minnesota and Cornell. OSU is #4 in KRACH, with the Big Red holding a lead of nearly 800 points, and Northeastern another 350 points back.

At least as far as KRACH is concerned, Cornell belongs more in a conversation about Wisconsin and Minnesota than it does in a comparison with Ohio State and Northeastern.
                  As KRACH ratings are not linear you actually want to use RRWP when comparing gaps -- which even further supports your argument.
                  Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                  Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                  Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

The current WCHODR is interesting, with Cornell and Northeastern #1 and #2, respectively, but then followed by four WCHA teams.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

What has turned into my Monday morning 'crossword puzzle', today's poll is as interesting as has been lately:

One voter still thinks Minnesota should be #1, but only two additional voters even have them at #2; and one voter apparently thinks Ohio State should be higher than Cornell.

As best I can work out:
                      Wisconsin - 13 at #1, and 2 at #2
                      Minnesota - 1 at #1, 2 at #2, and 12 at #3
                      Northeastern - 0 at #1, 7 at #2, 2 at #3, and 6 at #4
                      Cornell - 1 at #1, 4 at #2, 1 at #3, 8 at #4, 1 at #5

Wisconsin - (13 x 10) + (2 x 9) = 148
                      Minnesota - (1 x 10) + (2 x 9) + (12 x 8) = 124
                      Northeastern - (7 x 9) + (2 x 8) + (6 x 7) = 121
                      Cornell - (1 x 10) + (4 x 9) + (1 x 8) + (8 x 7) + (1 x 6) = 116

Comment

USCHO Division I Women's Poll - January 27, 2020
                        Rnk Team (Last Poll)
                        1 Wisconsin (1)
                        2 Minnesota (2)
                        3 Northeastern (3)
                        4 Cornell (4)
                        5 Ohio State (5)
                        6 Princeton (6)
                        7 Clarkson (7)
                        8 Boston University (7)
                        9 Minnesota Duluth (9)
                        10 Harvard (10)

Others receiving votes: Quinnipiac 3, Robert Morris 3, Bemidji State 2, Providence 2

Very little change from last week, and in fact no change at all in the Top 6. And, except for Boston University going from a tie for 7th to "all alone" at No. 8, the ranking order for the Top 10 is unchanged.

Comment

Rnk Team (Last Poll)
                          1 Wisconsin (1)
                          2 Minnesota (2)
                          3 Northeastern (3)
                          4 Cornell (4)
                          5 Ohio State (5)
                          6 Princeton (6)
                          7 Clarkson (7)
                          8 Boston University (7)
                          9 Minnesota Duluth (9)
                          10 Harvard (10)

Others receiving votes: Quinnipiac 3, Robert Morris 3, Bemidji State 2, Providence 2

Very little change from last week, and in fact no change at all in the Top 6. And, except for Boston University going from a tie for 7th to "all alone" at No. 8, the ranking order for the Top 10 is unchanged.
                          Not understanding why Harvard remains in the top 10 as opposed to some other teams. They have been getting their clocks cleaned for the last 3 weeks by the stronger ECAC teams.

Comment

Rnk Team (Last Poll)
                            1 Wisconsin (1)
                            2 Minnesota (2)
                            3 Northeastern (3)
                            4 Cornell (4)
                            5 Ohio State (5)
                            6 Princeton (6)
                            7 Clarkson (7)
                            8 Boston University (7)
                            9 Minnesota Duluth (9)
                            10 Harvard (10)

The Beavers continue to not take advantage of chances to rise in the rankings. Sweeping Mankato may not have vaulted them ahead of Harvard but tying the first game gave them no chance. Minnesota comes to town next weekend - possibly with some vulnerability - giving Bemidji yet another chance to move up if they can play two perfect games.

CORRECTION: It’s OSU this weekend and MN the week following. Make that 4 perfect games needed!
                            Last edited by Offsides Guy; 01-27-2020, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                              Not understanding why Harvard remains in the top 10 as opposed to some other teams. They have been getting their clocks cleaned for the last 3 weeks by the stronger ECAC teams.
                              Yup.
                              WAY overrated!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                                Every top ten has to have a #10, barring the door to everyone else outside, the really not-so-hot teams. Somebody has to do it, and the polls are unanimous in wanting Harvard to serve its time and perform a duty it’s shirked recently. D2D referenced UMD “escaping” the spot a few weeks ago. No one really covets it.
                                Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 01-30-2020, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X