Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Yesterday was egregious, but not as much as the Wisconsin series.
    I was okay with how the UW series was officiated. The referees clearly had a desire to stay out of the way in terms of making calls and let the teams work it out. By and large, they succeeded in that. As opposed to down the stretch yesterday, where one referee looked like she wanted to call a different game than had been called for the first ~ 50 minutes.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      I was okay with how the UW series was officiated. The referees clearly had a desire to stay out of the way in terms of making calls and let the teams work it out. By and large, they succeeded in that. As opposed to down the stretch yesterday, where one referee looked like she wanted to call a different game than had been called for the first ~ 50 minutes.
      There's "a desire to stay out of the way" and then there's "indistinguishable from comatose."

Down the stretch yesterday, I thought the call against Boreen was necessary, the call against Wethington was idiotic, and I didn't see the one against Wente.

Comment

Moved from the scores thread: Again, I disagree.
        I would wonder what was wrong if you didn't disagree...

Admittedly, I wear my feelings on my sleeve during the games and it is driven by extremely high expectations for the Gophers.

That third line you mention did do very well this weekend, but there were a couple of times where they were put in some difficult situations due to poor decisions made by some of the defensemen you mentioned which resulted in icing and they were not able to get off the ice. UMD took advantage of that and matched up their top line against them.

What you say about UMD is correct. You see them play as well as they did against the Gophers and you wonder how they got swept by Bemidji? You also wonder if they would have swept this weekend if, as you mentioned, Rooney had played like she is capable of?
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

The gophers getting few power play opportunities in conference play is starting to feel like it was a blessing in disguise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
            The gophers getting few power play opportunities in conference play is starting to feel like it was a blessing in disguise.
            Honestly, BC's power play has given up more great shorthanded chances. They've just been luckier that none of them have gone in.

Comment

Zumwinkle has fanned on or shanked an astonishing number of shots today.

Comment

Zumwinkle has fanned on or shanked an astonishing number of shots today.
                Yeah...Something's off with her today. It was interesting that bc let her shoot as much as she did as most WCHA team try to take that away.
                Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 11-29-2019, 04:18 PM.
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                  Yeah...Something's off with her today. It was interesting that bc let her shot as much as she did as most WCHA team try to take that away.
                  BC gave her so much time and space on the power play that she might have been better settling the puck for a wrist shot rather than blasting a one-timer.

Comment

BC gave her so much time and space on the power play that she might have been better settling the puck for a wrist shot rather than blasting a one-timer.
                    BC employed the rope a dope tactic by Muhammad Ali

Comment

Nice to see Boreen get her first of the year.

Comment

How cruel for the USCHO mobile app to show me Hawvawd was winning 3-0 last weekend against you ins. The sting didn't last too long because when I went to look at the UW/BC box score, it showed all the UW players played for BC and BC players for UW. Then at that point I knew it was the work of North Korean hackers.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          Then at that point I knew it was the work of North Korean hackers.
                          Is that the name of their team?
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                            Yeah...Something's off with her today. It was interesting that bc let her shoot as much as she did as most WCHA team try to take that away.
                            It was frustrating to watch the Gophers just keep going back to her when it clearly wasn't working. BC gave her space because she was not at all a threat and yet Minnesota kept giving her the puck and trying to force it to work. Even Badger fans in Nashville were scratching their heads at the lack of adjustment. It was weird to watch in person.
                            It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Looks like the players really enjoyed themselves down in Nashville!

"Coach Brad Frost's team took in Music City's sights and sounds, bought cowboy hats and played a couple of strong games."

For Gophers women's hockey, Nashville visit was like a bowl trip
                              https://www.startribune.com/for-goph...rip/565781342/

Also, congratulations to Sidney Scobee for earning this past week's WCHA Goaltender of the Week award, her third of the season.
                              https://gophersports.com/news/2019/1...kly-award.aspx

Edit: Not to be overlooked, congrats also go to Sarah Potomak on being named the WCHA Forward of the Month!
                              Last edited by D2D; 12-06-2019, 07:36 AM.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Moving this from the Harvard thread, because my comments are from a Minnesota perspective ...

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                                In that regard, my in-laws are similar to UW.
                                The Badgers are likely similar to in-laws in several ways. When you see them drive up, you can predict that it won't be a pleasurable visit. It seems like you see them often enough, but someone (the league/NCAA, your spouse) is always encouraging you to spend even more time with them. They seem pretty well off, but they sure don't seem to want you to get anything. Once they learn that something annoys you, they seem to do it even more. You wouldn't want to leave the house wearing what they wear. If they relocated to Arizona, it might improve your relationship.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X