Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bentley Falcons 2019-20: The Future is Now

I'll set the theme for this season's thread;

This program has had developments "on the horizon" since the mid-90s that have allowed us to always say, "Be patient, we're adding things in the near future." From going Division I, to adding scholarships, to a new arena, there has always been something to assuage the pains of defeat in the form of "exciting new resources are coming."

No more. Aside from potential conference realignments (I will absorb the scoffs, ridicule, and "3000 seat" quips to stand on my belief the HE is not as far-fetched as many believe), there is nothing else to add to this program. No more excuses. No more tomorrows.

It is no longer unreasonable to say that anything less than a conference championship is a failure. We have ALL the resources now; full compliment of scholarships, winnable conference, new on-campus arena and an attractive school to recruit for.

Discuss.
    Bentley University Hockey
    On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
    I'll set the theme for this season's thread;

This program has had developments "on the horizon" since the mid-90s that have allowed us to always say, "Be patient, we're adding things in the near future." From going Division I, to adding scholarships, to a new arena, there has always been something to assuage the pains of defeat in the form of "exciting new resources are coming."

No more. Aside from potential conference realignments (I will absorb the scoffs, ridicule, and "3000 seat" quips to stand on my belief the HE is not as far-fetched as many believe), there is nothing else to add to this program. No more excuses. No more tomorrows.

It is no longer unreasonable to say that anything less than a conference championship is a failure. We have ALL the resources now; full compliment of scholarships, winnable conference, new on-campus arena and an attractive school to recruit for.

Discuss.
    Excellent thread launch analysis, schiegs.

I could not agree more that the Falcons need to get deeper into the post-season. It has been now well over a decade since the team has made it to AHA tournament.

Another big problem as I see it is the lack of enthusiasm on campus for ice hockey, as indicated by generally lousy attendance at the new arena. The Top Shelf students from the old JAR are long gone and apparently have not been replaced. I think that a strategic blunder is charging students $5.00 to attend games, which is likely a deterrent on general principle rather than dollar amount.

Comment

Re: Bentley Falcons 2019-20: The Future is Now

$5? What’s the point other than a deterrent? Get them in the door and they will spend more than that at the concession stands. BTW Snives, thinking about coming down for next Friday’s game. Pretty sure Ref is planning the same.
      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
        $5? What’s the point other than a deterrent? Get them in the door and they will spend more than that at the concession stands. BTW Snives, thinking about coming down for next Friday’s game. Pretty sure Ref is planning the same.
        Spot on, Aerman. I will buy you, HR, and her hubby a beer next weekend; it is a fabulous arena.

Our Falcons had a rough start to the season, getting swept by RMU in Pittsburgh this weekend. As you may know, the Falcons had the longest unbeaten streak in the nation last spring.
        Last edited by Snively65; 10-15-2019, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Based on the SOG from last weekend, I'm hoping those final scores were just the puck not bouncing their way. Netting one goal on the weekend is not how I wanted to start this season.

I'm expecting a decent crowd for Friday. The alumni event in the Cube sold out, and there appears to be a few hundred tix left. Anyone hear how many season tix they sold this year?

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
            Based on the SOG from last weekend, I'm hoping those final scores were just the puck not bouncing their way. Netting one goal on the weekend is not how I wanted to start this season.

I'm expecting a decent crowd for Friday. The alumni event in the Cube sold out, and there appears to be a few hundred tix left. Anyone hear how many season tix they sold this year?
            Dunno about ST sales this year; a colleague who bought two last year decided to go it game by game this season, as I do, because of too many conflicts with games at BU and UNH, respectively.

That is really neat that the CUBE sold out; good sign!

Our only NHL draftee got our lone goal in Pittsburgh this past weekend. Lost a lot of scoring up front and on the blue line to graduation, so others will need to step up this season. SOG is a deceptive stat; just ask folks on any UNH threads, past or present. :-)
            Last edited by Snively65; 10-16-2019, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Spot on, Aerman. I will buy you, HR, and her hubby a beer next weekend; it is a fabulous arena.

Our Falcons had a rough start to the season, getting swept by RMU in Pittsburgh this weekend. As you may know, the Falcons had the longest unbeaten streak in the nation last spring.
              Ref approves of the beer purchase, so long as its BUD LIGHT
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

SOG is a deceptive stat; just ask folks on any UNH threads, past or present. :-)
                Darn tootin' right on the money with that one, Snives. No consolation prizes for "winning" at SOG's.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  Darn tootin' right on the money with that one, Snives. No consolation prizes for "winning" at SOG's.
                  Hows about winning FACEOFFS????
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Ref approves of the beer purchase, so long as its BUD LIGHT
                    But wait, that’s not even beer!

I’ll be down for the game. Perhaps Snively would like to pick a dive at which to meet?
                    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                      But wait, that’s not even beer!

I’ll be down for the game. Perhaps Snively would like to pick a dive at which to meet?
                      My gf and I probably will grab something to eat at the arena, as time is tight this afternoon. But, I like to arrive in time for practice around 6:20, when there will be few fans there. Will be wearing my Bentley Frozen Fenway gray hockey jersey, so you, e.cat, and HR should look for me to buy a round of beers. I agee that Bud Lite is not beer. :-)

On Moody Street, my favorite "dives" are The Gaff (small, loud, and crowded) and the Tap and Table (larger, more upscale), both much different than Libby's, but there are at least another dozen bars on Moody and Main Streets that should satisfy your needs.

There is ample cheap parking in a large garage behind the theatre just off Moody one block south of the bridge over the Charles. The free parking behind the arena might be a bit of a walk (like from across the tracks in Durham) if you arrive late, unless you buy premium parking online for adjacent to the arena.
                      Last edited by Snively65; 10-18-2019, 07:15 AM.

Comment

My gf and I probably will grab something to eat at the arena, as time is tight this afternoon. But, I like to arrive in time for practice around 6:20, when there will be few fans there. Will be wearing my Bentley Frozen Fenway gray hockey jersey, so you, e.cat, and HR should look for me to buy a round of beers. I agee that Bud Lite is not beer. :-)

On Moody Street, my favorite "dives" are The Gaff (small, loud, and crowded) and the Tap and Table (larger, more upscale), both much different than Libby's, but there are at least another dozen bars on Moody and Main Streets that should satisfy your needs.

There is ample cheap parking in a large garage behind the theatre just off Moody one block south of the bridge over the Charles. The free parking behind the arena might be a bit of a walk (like from across the tracks in Durham) if you arrive late, unless you buy premium parking online for adjacent to the arena.
                        ecat...I do have that ticket for you but I prob won't arrive at the arena until 6:30 ish depending on how fast I can get down 93 today. Hoping to tho and most likely will hang out at my hotel rather than go to one of these fine establishments Snively talks about unless any of you guys want to meet there. Post here if you do want to go to one of these and I'll work on getting there. I'll be in my UNH blue jersey of course...haha. Go 'Cats!!!!
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          ecat...I do have that ticket for you but I prob won't arrive at the arena until 6:30 ish depending on how fast I can get down 93 today. Hoping to tho and most likely will hang out at my hotel rather than go to one of these fine establishments Snively talks about unless any of you guys want to meet there. Post here if you do want to go to one of these and I'll work on getting there. I'll be in my UNH blue jersey of course...haha. Go 'Cats!!!!
                          No worries. Thanks Ref. I'll be visiting my 92 year mother in law in Watertown. My wife is already there so I'll just leave Watertown around 6. Bentley is right around the corner from her house!

Edit: Dunno the parking situation at the arena so probably leave a bit earlier than 6. Go Cats!
                          Last edited by e.cat; 10-18-2019, 08:14 AM.
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            No worries. Thanks Ref. I'll be visiting my 92 year mother in law in Watertown. My wife is already there so I'll just leave Watertown around 6. Bentley is right around the corner from her house!

Edit: Dunno the parking situation at the arena so probably leave a bit earlier than 6. Go Cats!
                            Yeah, the parking situation...the premium are sold out for this game so I too will be cognizant of that fact. Printed out campus map to find a spot recommended on the Falcons website..Go 'Cats....
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

That.
                              Was.
                              Awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X