X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Rather than swinging for the fences, a batter is just hitting for average instead.

It's a metaphor. Would you like to be clued in on what those are?
    This is funny because your argument is an analogy, not a metaphor.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      This is funny because your argument is an analogy, not a metaphor.
      I thought you'd like that.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I thought you'd like that.
        Indeed I did.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          I saw this today...I liked it. Not a must see or anything but a kind of cool concept and the ending was kind of unique.
          just back. enjoyed it and will watch daily once it makes hbo and netflix (mookie currently watched major league and major league 2 every.single.day).

mookie's heart burst with joy when he opened the door. would be so great if he was 78 they even worked in mookie's favorite story from him
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            Rather than swinging for the fences, a batter is just hitting for average instead.
            Sandler = Mauer?
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
              Sandler = Mauer?
              Even a bad Sandler film isn't that boring
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

It's a metaphor. Would you like to be clued in on what those are?
                Pretty much this.

It comes from Eisner and his start as CEO at Disney. Basically you make a bunch of cheap, smaller budget movies with small profit instead of trying to make a huge, expensive blockbuster that has huge risk of losing a ton.

Edit: Good video on the subject.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  Pretty much this.

It comes from Eisner and his start as CEO at Disney. Basically you make a bunch of cheap, smaller budget movies with small profit instead of trying to make a huge, expensive blockbuster that has huge risk of losing a ton.

Edit: Good video on the subject.
                  That's the Blumhouse business model.

Comment

Sandler has said that the reason he's allowed to keep making movies isn't because his movies are great, most of them aren't, but because he can make them on the cheap so they manage to turn a profit.
                    Good business sense, I suppose. I did enjoy Punch Drunk Love for a non-inane movie of his. Happy Gilmore/Waterboy are sophomoric classics, of course. I was hoping for more with this one.

Big Kill:
                    A tenderfoot from Philadelphia, two misfit gamblers on the run, and a deadly preacher have a date with destiny in a boom town gone bust called Big Kill.

Standard B-Movie western, not a bad thing at all. I fully enjoyed it. Decent action, nice dry humorous zingers, rather entertaining.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The Birdcage: I hadnt watched this in years and man I still love it. (outside of Gene Hackman in drag) Williams and Lane are just perfect together and Hank Azaria as Agadore Spartacus was brilliant!
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        The Birdcage: I hadnt watched this in years and man I still love it. (outside of Gene Hackman in drag) Williams and Lane are just perfect together and Hank Azaria as Agadore Spartacus was brilliant!
                        One of my favorites!

Going to see Midsommar on Saturday. Can’t wait

Comment

I found the latest Spiderman enjoyable, but not great. There weren't so much plot holes as "logic holes" in the script. I expect a few - it IS a superhero movie after all - but there were just too many things that didn't add up. I had a good time and several parts were excellent. I found myself wanting more of Peter and MJ and less of Spiderman (which is kinda the point of the comics)

I wish I had left before the mid-credits scene. Kevin Feige said Far From Home capped Phase III of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and as the credits rolled it felt that way. The mid-credits scene changed all that. If you do stay, stay until the very end. The final end credits scene is funny and explains some (but not nearly all) of those logic holes. And no, it's not a lecture from Captain America about expectations.

The movie itself gets an 8. The mid credits scene knocks it down to a 7. It really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            I found the latest Spiderman enjoyable, but not great. There weren't so much plot holes as "logic holes" in the script. I expect a few - it IS a superhero movie after all - but there were just too many things that didn't add up. I had a good time and several parts were excellent. I found myself wanting more of Peter and MJ and less of Spiderman (which is kinda the point of the comics)

I wish I had left before the mid-credits scene. Kevin Feige said Far From Home capped Phase III of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and as the credits rolled it felt that way. The mid-credits scene changed all that. If you do stay, stay until the very end. The final end credits scene is funny and explains some (but not nearly all) of those logic holes. And no, it's not a lecture from Captain America about expectations.

The movie itself gets an 8. The mid credits scene knocks it down to a 7. It really left a bad taste in my mouth.
                            I must have watched a completely different movie and mid-credit scene.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              I must have watched a completely different movie and mid-credit scene.
                              No, I'm pretty sure it was the same one.

I know people are going nuts for it. It just didn't hit me the same. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, it just doesn't measure up to the first one, or the best MCU films. That's a high bar to clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                No, I'm pretty sure it was the same one.

I know people are going nuts for it. It just didn't hit me the same. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, it just doesn't measure up to the first one, or the best MCU films. That's a high bar to clear.
                                If we just isolate Spiderman this movie stands alone at the top. It's the best done Spidey Villain in film. The action sequences were awesome. So, yes, I thought it was better than the "first" one. By a wide margin.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X