Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Bring him back! Bring him back!
    Maybe the U.W. and Strobel can "mutually part ways" like Donny did with the Chicken Hawks.

There's your open spot. 😉
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      Maybe the U.W. and Strobel can "mutually part ways" like Donny did with the Chicken Hawks.

There's your open spot. ��
      I don't really care how, but find a way to get him back to UW.......
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

I don't follow the NHL real closely, but what Badgers are left in the final 8 teams besides a toothless, concussed Pavelski?

I also find it interesting all 4 number 1 seeds lost.....
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

I don't follow the NHL real closely, but what Badgers are left in the final 8 teams besides a toothless, concussed Pavelski?

I also find it interesting all 4 number 1 seeds lost.....
          As an Islanders fan... This made me very happy. Home ice in the first two rounds.
          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Trent Frederic is in the Bruins organization, but I’m pretty sure he’s playing in the AHL playoffs right now. And I think that’s it.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              DG is available...…..
              Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

There's your open spot. ��
              According to Eric the Red over on Buckyville, DG hated coaching at UW and isn't interested in coming back.

Comment

According to Eric the Red over on Buckyville, DG hated coaching at UW and isn't interested in coming back.
                That’s curious.

It also matches well with his quick exit. I wonder what his objections were.
                Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 04-25-2019, 08:41 AM.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  DG is available...…..
                  I don't think Q has named his staff in Florida yet...

I'd think the chances Donny lands at UW would be pretty much zero. Or he would have stayed. Seems pretty clear now that from the start Donny's plan was only for a couple of years here at the most, just long enough to help get things back on track. When things went well early, he went back to his career track a year or so ahead of schedule. Be interesting to see where he does end up.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

For those with a subscription to The Athletic, there is a pretty nice article from one of the Rangers writers about Miller
                    LINK

A good portion of the article is talking about Oz being "the man" when it comes to developing college players into NHL players. Nothing new there, all of the same names that everyone always talks about from years ago.

A couple of interesting snips about Miller from the article:

Where Miller wants to go is from Madison, Wisconsin to Madison Square Garden. But he is not in a rush to get there. He won’t say definitively, but Miller won’t turn pro now, instead planning and training for his sophomore season with the Badgers. Granato and the Rangers’ front office all believe he will play one more year of college hockey, at least.

“I think that would probably be the best decision for me,” Miller told The Athletic.

---

Still a teen, he is also still growing. Miller said he sprouted almost another inch, where he’s almost 6-foot-5 now, and since the season ended he’s added about six pounds of muscle to get to 210. He hopes to be even a bit stronger and heavier when he reports to Rangers prospects camp following the June draft.

---

“Next year’s going to be a year where there’s going to be new challenges for him. He’s not the new kid on the block anymore. The teams he plays against are going to be looking at him differently and coming after him and whatever. Then he’s also going to have the opportunity to play and potentially be a captain for the World Junior (USA) team and have a chance to win a gold medal there. And we’ll have a better surrounding cast around him next year to potentially have a really good year as a collegiate player. So he’s got a lot more growing to do before he’s really ready for the NHL. Could he play in the NHL and play games and do fine right now? Absolutely. But…is it the right time for him to jump to the NHL? I don’t think so. But I think he’s really close.”

Miller has time. So do the Rangers. Kravtsov is coming over from Russia this summer, as is Shesterkin. Almost certainly Kakko (or Jack Hughes, depending on whom the Devils select first overall) will be on the team opening night.

Comment

I subscribe to the athletic and it is the best money I have spent on sports/news in a long time and everyone should, even though they don't currently cover Badger Hockey.

another great tid bit:

"Why wouldn’t he? At Wisconsin, Miller has the advantage of working with associate head coach Mark Osiecki, a former NHL defenseman who has helped place more than a dozen Badgers D-men in the NHL. Those include Ryan McDonagh, Justin Schultz, Tom Gilbert, Jake Gardiner, Jake McCabe, Brendan Smith, Jamie McBain, John Ramage and Cody Goloubef."
                      Last edited by WiscTJK; 04-25-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                        I don't think Q has named his staff in Florida yet...

I'd think the chances Donny lands at UW would be pretty much zero. Or he would have stayed. Seems pretty clear now that from the start Donny's plan was only for a couple of years here at the most, just long enough to help get things back on track. When things went well early, he went back to his career track a year or so ahead of schedule. Be interesting to see where he does end up.
                        Granato was brought in to keep tabs on Q was one of the prevailing theories after one of his Hartford Whaler buddies was shown the door and Granato came in with another old Hartford Whalers Q buddy as a 2 for one replacement. While I am not sure of the voracity of Granato was the GM "spy", I am fairly certain he was not a Q guy or choice as his hiring tree has almost always been a former running mate typically from the Whaler days. Granato will not end up on Q's Florida staff.
                        Last edited by markwojo; 04-25-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          I agree he probably won't end up @ UW. I just don't want to see him land at B6 school, but since he left to coach in the NHL, I think that is where he will end up. As great as the future looks, there are still questions about the coaching and it's probably a slam dunk we'd all sleep better tonight with DG back.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Did he offer any quotes or anecdotes? I’m not surprised because Don seems like he’s always coveted an nhl head coaching gig but it really rubs me the wrong way with how he said he was “indebted” to the U and then just bolted. Makes me think he was full of ****.
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                              Granato was brought in to keep tabs on Q was one of the prevailing theories after one of his Hartford Whaler buddies was shown the door and Granato came in with another old Hartford Whalers Q buddy as a 2 for one replacement. While I am not sure of the voracity of Granato was the GM "spy", I am fairly certain he was not a Q guy or choice as his hiring tree has almost always been a former running mate typically from the Whaler days. Granato will not end up on Q's Florida staff.

Hmm... interesting... Not a big Blackhawks fan so I don't follow the team gossip. I did think Tony and Q were still pretty tight so I'm a bit surprised at the idea that Q didn't pick/want Donny.
                              Originally posted by WiscTJK
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                                Did he offer any quotes or anecdotes? I’m not surprised because Don seems like he’s always coveted an nhl head coaching gig but it really rubs me the wrong way with how he said he was “indebted” to the U and then just bolted. Makes me think he was full of ****.
                                Who knows.

I don’t know about him being full of ****, at least not any more than Robbie Earl was when he said he’d be back for his senior year.

Sometimes people say things publicly that they know they “need” to say, but then real life happens and they sometimes decide that staying put isn’t for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X