So, looks like Herrmann is a replacement for BVR

Divver says two Beanpot schools -- presumably BU and Northeastern
    Interesting...if true wishing him well.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Interesting...if true wishing him well.
      Does the van Riemsdyk family have commitment issues, terminally restless, or what???

JvR going directly to the NHL after 2 years? Bummed, but understandable.

TvR going to the pros after 3 years AND a bad injury? Very understandable.

BvR going to a rival school after 3 years, with no realistic hopes for a pro career??

Methinks the "B" in BvR is going to stand for "Bandwagon" if this continues to play out ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
        The new Lucas worries me. If we were going to pick up decommit / castoff I would rather somebody who puts the puck in the net a bit more... One of the younger guys or Budy...
        It certainly seems like a bit of a lateral recruiting upgrade. I thought UNH needed/should look to add two, top-six type forwards this off-season and now with BVR's departure that is even more of a need (both to capitalize on next season and for the future). I think Herrmann is a real upgrade on guys like Miller and Cefalu - and while Vela was a far bluer-chip, I think he could match the type of career #17 ended up having. He looks like a nice piece on a third/fourth-line who can skate, defend, forecheck and mix it up, while chipping in offensively here and there. An Esposito or MacAdams type. He isn't a goal scorer, however - he never has been - and UNH needs guys (and, quite frankly, a depth of guys) who can fill it up.

They could have accelerated a guy like Sweeney or Wazny and filled this role. The strategy heading into this off-season should have been to aim-high with available scholarship money, and if you can't land a high-end talent be willing to bank that money for a top talent in the future. Watcher may be on to something in Herrman being a quick strike to replace BVR who appears (all but) officially on his way out the door. If so, that makes sense. But I more potential prospects for this coming season adhere to the strategy I outline above. High-end now, first or high-end later, second...

---

With BVR apparently on his way out - UNH's top-six (and overall goal-scoring), which already needed improvement, is looking even more thin...

Crookshank - Pierson - Kelleher
        Stevenson - Blackburn - Grasso
        Herrmann - Engaras - Fregona
        Esposito - Sacco - MacAdams
        Sato/Cippolone

This line-up is a stretch to generate much more, if any, offense than the team did last season and raises a lot of questions. Without getting into those questions here - adding a couple more talented bodies could slot a lot of players into more comfortable roles, build depth of scoring, spread the defensive attention around and much more. UNH needs to seriously look into accelerating Margel and targeting one of the high-end goal scorers left on the market. This would look a lot better...

Crookshank - Pierson - Kelleher
        [Scorer] - Blackburn - Grasso
        [Margel] - Engaras - Fregona
        Hermann - Esposito - MacAdams
        Stevenson
        Last edited by Dan; 04-11-2019, 05:47 PM.
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

As for BVR's departure - I wish him the best of luck and hope he finds the combination of graduate education/winning program he's looking for. He watched both of his brother's play on the big stage and I'd imagine he wants that opportunity desperately. On the ice, they'll miss him but he's hardly irreplaceable - even with the current F line-up - and may even open things (roster/$$$) up for UNH to get what they desperately need. Pure goal-scoring...

---

Total speculation - I'd rank likely BVR destinations as follows:

Providence
          Boston University
          Northeastern / Massachusetts
          -
          -
          Boston College
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            As for BVR's departure - I wish him the best of luck and hope he finds the combination of graduate education/winning program he's looking for. He watched both of his brother's play on the big stage and I'd imagine he wants that opportunity desperately. On the ice, they'll miss him but he's hardly irreplaceable - even with the current F line-up - and may even open things (roster/$$$) up for UNH to get what they desperately need. Pure goal-scoring...

---

Total speculation - I'd rank likely BVR destinations as follows:

Providence
            Boston University
            Northeastern / Massachusetts
            -
            -
            Boston College

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Does the van Riemsdyk family have commitment issues, terminally restless, or what???

JvR going directly to the NHL after 2 years? Bummed, but understandable.

TvR going to the pros after 3 years AND a bad injury? Very understandable.

BvR going to a rival school after 3 years, with no realistic hopes for a pro career??

Methinks the "B" in BvR is going to stand for "Bandwagon" if this continues to play out ...
              Sets himself up for a better life with an advanced degree. Perhaps some scholarship $. Plays where he might better show case his skills. This is all conjecture.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Or, maybe he figured that he might not crack the top six forwards in his senior year either, so see ya later.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Or, maybe he figured that he might not crack the top six forwards in his senior year either, so see ya later.
                  Or maybe the vR family's veneration of all things Umile did not extend to DU's hand-picked successor?

So many questions, so many possibilities … so few answers. Does anyone do journalism any more??
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• ‘01 Nick Cafarelli

https://***********/mbilotta/status/1117150161145352194?s=21

- younger brother Anthony (‘03) also plays for Cushing.
                    Last edited by Dan; 04-13-2019, 03:14 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

"UNH Commit Lucas Herrmann: A Hard-Working, Gritty Forward"
                      Includes interview, video highlights, scouting reports, and statistics.
                      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        ‘01 Nick Cafarelli

https://***********/mbilotta/status/...145352194?s=21

- younger brother Anthony (‘03) also plays for Cushing.
                        Pretty cool to see Dan...when do you think he comes on board? Couple of seasons?
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

According to a post on BU thread, BvR going to to NU.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            According to a post on BU thread, BvR going to to NU.
                            Welp there it is....
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Changes to recruiting rules beginning May 1:
                              1) No verbal commitments before August 1 of player's upcoming junior year of high school.
                              2) Until January 1 of player's sophomore year in high school, coaches can't talk to him and unofficial visits are not allowed.
                              3) Current players who have already verbally committed and are not yet sophomores in high school will not be allowed to have further contact with the college until January 1 of his sophomore year.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...ng-Changes.php

Comment

"UNH Commits Update 4-19-2019: Final 2018-19 Statistics"
                                Features video highlights of Will Margel, Robert Cronin, and Tim Stützle

Comment

Working...
                                X